Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
Except that in some circles they are not considered the two best in the world. So to answer your question, no.

·
Banned
164 Posts
disposablehero said:
Given that people love to give asterisks next to titles when certain top players are absent, seems only fair given that the 2 best players in the world right now were not in the field.
Yes, it should read that Serena played at only 20%*

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I can recall certain fanbases who considered average points per tournament to be the leading indicator of the worlds best players, and as of Monday the top 2 scores in that statistic are players from Belgium.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Let's see:

Kim Clijsters vs. Serena Williams

Grand Slam Titles: 0 6

Grand Slam Finals: 4 7

Weeks at 1: 17? 50 something

JHH I'll give you, but Kim never was a top two or three player. No. 4 or 5, yes. The rankings also said Martina Hingis was no. 1 for two straight years without winning a slam, and while holding a losing record to most or all of the top ten.:tape:

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Serena played a good match. She might think she did not, but the stats don't lie.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The best grass court players were all there apart from Justine (RU 01, SF 02/03) but think she would have struggled, Kim showed signs last year that she is a lot better on grass but still thinks she needs a little bit more work. I know she played a good match with Venus but she was injured.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mboyle said:
Let's see:

Kim Clijsters vs. Serena Williams

Grand Slam Titles: 0 6

Grand Slam Finals: 4 7

Weeks at 1: 17? 50 something

JHH I'll give you, but Kim never was a top two or three player. No. 4 or 5, yes. The rankings also said Martina Hingis was no. 1 for two straight years without winning a slam, and while holding a losing record to most or all of the top ten.:tape:
Kim 0 Slams, Serena 6? Are you suggesting that Martina Navratilova is one of the top 2 players in the world right now?

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
ha!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
No asterisk, Serena played well, but lost. Kim and Justine had TWO slams to compete in with NO Williams present. This is different whether you can see it or not.

If Kim or Justine were there, Serena would probably STILL have been there, so NO asterisk.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
I think Maria Sharapova and Justine should both have an asterisk tattooed on their foreheads. :angel:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
An asterisk should be reserved for times when a slew of players did not have the option to play (like if a tournament wasn't "Open" or something). Every major features someone who is injured, and that in turn affects the draw, and that - in theory - could affect the winner.

There is no place for theoretical results in records/statistics because they are just that - theoretical. There is no way to know who would have won Wimbledon if all of the top players were there, just like there is no way to know how many majors Seles would have won if not for the stabbing, just like there is no way to know if Steffi would have had another "Grand Slam" had she played the Australian Open in the mid-90s. The results are what they are, regardless, and they can't be changed. Why worry about it or even question it?

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
i think asterisk slams should be replayed when the top players come back. maybe serena could do better that time :lol:

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
VS Fan said:
No asterisk, Serena played well, but lost. Kim and Justine had TWO slams to compete in with NO Williams present. This is different whether you can see it or not.

If Kim or Justine were there, Serena would probably STILL have been there, so NO asterisk.
what two slams??

last time i checked, venus was at the AO.

·
Premium Member
20,397 Posts
I think all GS champs should have an asterix beside there name. They never have to take on Bye in the 1st round of a GS. She may lose early in regular tour tournaments but that's cause she saves it for the slams.

The slam directors are just discriminating against her cause of her unusual name. No one is as consistent or deteremined as Bye

1 - 20 of 60 Posts