Tennis Forum banner

Should Kim change her name?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
No. Well, I wouldn't. I mean, just because you are married to someone doesn't mean you become a different person. Besides, it is such a sexist tradition. Why don't men give up their name.

I say they both hyphonate their names.

Come to think of it, I believe Kim has said before she would not give up her name. But then again, she would not be the first bride to change her mind on that one.

Wedding fever hits the CCL :rocker:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think Clijsters-Hewitt sounds the best actually... better than kim hewitt. But i thought kim said she was keeping her last name???

·
Registered
917 Posts
i think she shouldn't change her name :cool: she is well known person and everyone knows her as Kim Clijsters so Kim Hewitt is kinda... :rolleyes: ;) but Kim Clijsters-Hewitt or Hewitt-Clijsters are the way too long to pronaunce so im sure soon no one would call her with double last name, ppl just will shorten it to Clijsters or to Hewitt and as she is knows as Kim Clijsters... see my point? :p :angel:
but personally i like very much Kim Clijsters-Hewitt :hearts:

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
I like Kim Clijsters-Hewitt :angel: Just Kim Hewitt would be nice as well but seeing as her first name isn't particularily belgian, she should keep the Clijsters. And I think taking Lleyton's name would be nice as well. I don't view taking a man's name as sexist but perhaps that's only because it's the tradition I've grown up around. My mom took my dad's name and I like that we all have the same last name, it would be weird I think if we didn't :scratch: Their kids will no doubt we Hewitt's so I don't think Kim should be the odd one out :p

·
Registered
912 Posts
Kim Clijsters - Hewitt is great, i think ... Hope Kimmie agrees !!! ;)
I think it's still a little bit of an honour to receive the name of your husband but ... it should be combined with your own name coz still that's the most important, you were born under it !!!

Call me old fashion !
:lol:

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
I love Kim Clijsters-Hewitt (but she said she'll stay Kim Clijsters I think)

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
It's not something us Lleykis can control, and if Kim comes here and sees this she's gonna freak out lol. It's not like we can decide what her surname is gonna be :p

IMO Kim Clijsters-Hewitt is really good. Kim can still remain her last name as she wanted. And other people can always remember she's 'the nice' Belgian :devil: but can also know that she's married to Lleyton!

Everyone's in :angel: mood now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
PatatRiek said:
of course not... and she already said she'll keep her name...

hello patat! :)

no, she should keep her name. unless lleyton does the same thing :)

kim hewitt-clijsters?
lleyton hewitt-clijsters?

that would be cool :)

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
tibe said:
i don't know any woman (from family and friends)who has her husbands name. i think we belgians don't do that :shrug: (except one person :tape: )
I'm Canadian and for me it's the opposite, I don't know any woman who hasn't taken her husband's name. I know a few that have kept their last name but added on their husband's ( like Justine) but for the most part, all the married women I know have taken their husband's name.

·
3,777 Posts
tibe said:
i don't know any woman (from family and friends)who has her husbands name. i think we belgians don't do that :shrug: (except one person :tape: )
you're right I guess, I don't know anybody who did this, not even my grandparents, so guess it's not tradition in Belgium(anymore?)
and I think Kim won't change her name, though imagine, final Australian Open 2005: the umpire:"Game, set and match Miss Clijsters-Hewitt" sounds nice doesn't it?:)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sarah<Kim-fan> said:
you're right I guess, I don't now anybody who did this, not even my grandparents, so guess it's not tradition in Belgium(anymore?)
and I think Kim won't change her name, though imagine, final Australian Open 2005: the umpire:"Game, set and match Miss Clijsters-Hewitt" sounds nice doesn't it?:)
it sounds great :banana:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sarah<Kim-fan> said:
you're right I guess, I don't know anybody who did this, not even my grandparents, so guess it's not tradition in Belgium(anymore?)
it's misses clijsters-hewitt then :)

and it's true, talking the name of the husband isn't tradition in belgium, and I think it's good. i wouldn't like it if one of my sisters suddenly had another name. thake billy jean king, she had that name because she was married to larry, right? but now she is divorced, she probablt had a girlfriend and she still goes by with that name, that's sooo strange

in belgium we had dominique monami, who became van roost, en now it's back momami because she and her husband have split up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i think she should stay kim clijsters because kim hewitt sounds :rolleyes:
but on the other hand: i guess that she has to spell her name very often because it's difficult to write! with the the name hewitt would be easier! :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I like Kim Clijsters-Hewitt the best. I think that something should show that you are married. And that wouldn't make peolpe mix up because her sirname remains and only Lleyton's is added,

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I like Kim Clijsters best. I think she should keep her last name. It's all kind of a moot point anyway as was pointed out, she's already said she's staying Kim Clijsters.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts