Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think she should, she has had some very steady results. Last year she won two events Gold Coast and Zurich. She's made the semifinal of Roland Garros. I think she should play some more doubles tennis when she isn't playing singles because it less physically demanding to play doubles (to me anyway). And perhaps she can rack up some GS titles as as a doubles player. I think she could also maybe pair up with Amelie. They did make the semifinals of Filderstadt last year. As for mixed doubles, perhaps she could consider playing with Carlos Moya because both players seem to have a very varied game.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't think she should. She's really focussed on the singles game and I think she's absolutely right to do so. When she starts playing doubles matches she might get a bit tired.

And it's not that she should do it to improve her skills at the net, she's already very talented in that area.

Reactions: Lady

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
While I agree with you that Justine has the game to be a great doubles player, she may just want to concentrate solely on singles rather than doubles. Looking at her results this year, I think putting a full effort into singles is the reason for her success. Although you make a good point that doubles isn't as physically demanding as singles, there is such a thing as burnout and Justine probably wants time to herself as a person and a married woman. In other words, she's doing well now. Why ruin it by playing too much?

Has Justine played doubles at all this year? I couldn't find any results on the WTA tour site. Here are the results I did find:

DOUBLES — Winner (2): 2002 - Gold Coast (w/Shaughnessy), Zurich (w/Bovina). finalist (1): 2001 - Filderstadt (w/Shaughnessy). Semifinalist (3): 2002 - Filderstadt (w/Mauresmo); 2001 - Roland Garros (w/Tatarkova); 1999 - Antwerp (w/Kremer).

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
apoet29 said:
While I agree with you that Justine has the game to be a great doubles player, she may just want to concentrate solely on singles rather than doubles. Looking at her results this year, I think putting a full effort into singles is the reason for her success. Although you make a good point that doubles isn't as physically demanding as singles, there is such a thing as burnout and Justine probably wants time to herself as a person and a married woman. In other words, she's doing well now. Why ruin it by playing too much?

Has Justine played doubles at all this year? I couldn't find any results on the WTA tour site. Here are the results I did find:

DOUBLES — Winner (2): 2002 - Gold Coast (w/Shaughnessy), Zurich (w/Bovina). finalist (1): 2001 - Filderstadt (w/Shaughnessy). Semifinalist (3): 2002 - Filderstadt (w/Mauresmo); 2001 - Roland Garros (w/Tatarkova); 1999 - Antwerp (w/Kremer).
I think the last time she played doubles was with Bovina was at the Australian. She made it to the 4th Round I think but opted to back down due to the strenous match she had with Davenport. And I think they would have done well, too.

I think that during the weeks she isn't playing singles like last week, she could have decided to play the doubles tournament. I think it would just show off her touch at the net as well as just show what a great player she is. But regardless, I think she should at least continue to play doubles in the Grand Slams. As well as on clay!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
i say no

·
Registered
315 Posts
I thought that she stopped playing doubles because she was having some problems with her shoulder. Anyway, she has had some good results in doubles (Besides the results listed on the WTA site, she's won Challengers with Kim Clijsters and Virginie Razzano), and I'd like to see her play a little more as well. The few times that I've been able to see her play on TV, it hasn't seemed like she's been doing as well at net as she has been in the past.
However, Justine's also had problems with overplaying in the past, and I think that a very large part of why she's been doing so well this year is that she hasn't been playing nearly as much, and if cutting back on doubles is going to keep her in better shape and prevent some of the problems she's had in the past, then she shouldn't play as much.

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
caseyl45 said:
I thought that she stopped playing doubles because she was having some problems with her shoulder. Anyway, she has had some good results in doubles (Besides the results listed on the WTA site, she's won Challengers with Kim Clijsters and Virginie Razzano), and I'd like to see her play a little more as well. The few times that I've been able to see her play on TV, it hasn't seemed like she's been doing as well at net as she has been in the past.
However, Justine's also had problems with overplaying in the past, and I think that a very large part of why she's been doing so well this year is that she hasn't been playing nearly as much, and if cutting back on doubles is going to keep her in better shape and prevent some of the problems she's had in the past, then she shouldn't play as much.
Yes but she actually has not played at all since the Australian Open...

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I think so, maybe not as much as Kim, but she has great skills at the net.

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dava_russianrule said:
I think so, maybe not as much as Kim, but she has great skills at the net.
NOone should play as much as Kim...

who do you guys think she should play with?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts