Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The replay of the tape showed Justine clearly raised her hand to signal she was not ready to receive serve. Since the umpire didn't see it, should she had owned up to it and confirmed to the ump. that she did? Was it poor sportsmanship on her part that she didn't say a word?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,950 Posts
definitely...

she was just blunt and shook her head as "i have no clue what you talking about..."

i never had anything against her, but she is on my shitlist now.

sorry fans, that was just very LOW.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
bmxbandit said:
definitely...

she was just blunt and shook her head as "i have no clue what you talking about..."

i never had anything against her, but she is on my shitlist now.

sorry fans, that was just very LOW.
I agree i´ll become an Anti Henin Fan from now on.

Not because She beat Serena, because we have to admit Justine is playing great tennis.

But her cheating during that (serve) point was awful, she showed lack of sportsmanship i really hope she loses to Kim saturday.

Also the comment "that´s tennis" refeering on what the crowd did was more that ridiculous, that´s not tennis, and i hope one day she lives what Serena had to go throught today.

Being against an oponnent who was playing well in an important Grand Slam match in front of a booing crowd who applauded loud faults and mistakes, that´s a horrible experience to watch.

·
Registered
839 Posts
petosp said:
I agree i´ll become an Anti Henin Fan from now on.

Not because She beat Serena, because we have to admit Justine is playing great tennis.

But her cheating during that (serve) point was awful, she showed lack of sportsmanship i really hope she loses to Kim saturday.

Also the comment "that´s tennis" refeering on what the crowd did was more that ridiculous, that´s not tennis, and i hope one day she lives what Serena had to go throught today.

Being against an oponnent who was playing well in an important Grand Slam match in front of a booing crowd who applauded loud faults and mistakes, that´s a horrible experience to watch.
It's up to the referee to tell if Justine was ready or not. Certainly on TV you couldn't tell because the camera was focused on serena and when they showed henin with her hand up that could have been before serena served. Ask yourself it the point would have counted if serena had hit an ace!
As to crowd reaction i agree it was more like a davis cup atmosphere, although at the US Open crowds can be pretty unruly too.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
I agree with Cyberix ... you can't see if she was pulling her hand up before Serena tossed her ball. And if she did raise her hand after the toss well than it was the umpire who had gave Serena the first serve. Maybe if Serena was nice to her before this match and after Charleston she would have gave the first serve to Serena. I think Kim would have got the first serve for example ;)

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
yes JUJU read about Serena said about being 9000 notches below her normal level and she addressed that in her interview after the qf's. she felt that Serena can say what she want but that she does not give credit. but in the end I still don't see why people are saying that Justine did not answer Jorge Diaz. I did not see him ask her or her respond. Serena should not have served and then try to ask for another first serve just cause she missed it. She should have stopped her service motion. Plus I think Serena would never in a million years have given Justine another chance to return had she hit an ace or service winner because of Juju not being ready. that may very well have been what serena was hoping for. that she would hurry up and serve and get a quick error. It's not proven but it is a possibility. That is all I am saying. But IMO this is all being a little blown out of proportion.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
people are disliking Justine and telling she has a poor sportsmanship while they don't even know what happened exactly :rolleyes:

Justine raised her hand as a sign to wait. It seems pretty obvious to me that she won't wait to raise her hand 'till Serena is actually serving. Serena clearly noticed, but she served anyway... I really don't see where you see the poor sportmanship.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
that is a good pt. of course you put your hand up if you are receiving and are not ready and already look over and see serena serving but then serena serves anyway. later on in the set juju had break pt again and serena served deep in the body and juju missed it in the net and was visibly pissed about something and then got fired up and won the next two pts and broke serena anyways. I noticed this when watching the tape of the third set again and it looked like juju was implying that serena had rushed her again.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
I rarely see players ask the umpire to let
the opponent serve again. It's not Justine's
fault. The umpire is there to do the job. If
your going to point fingers; do it to the chair
umpire.

·
Registered
654 Posts
totally agree with treufreund

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
I dunno if she 'should' have. It's all subjective blah blah blah's. If the umpire doens't allow her a second serve then too bad is what I think. Serena went on to hold that service game anyways.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I really think this wasn't very sportive of Justin. On the TV you could see that Justin raised her hand!!!
Btw the Belgian croud wasn't sportive either!!!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
For me I dont see what diffrence it makes, yes its not nice and unsporting, but she was 30-0 down. If Serena had double faulted then it would have been 30-15.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Justine should have said something. It was very unsporting of her not to.
I think Serena saw Justines hand up in the middle of her service motion, causing her to do a fault. She thought she'd get another first serve, but the umpire didnt see it (what the hell was he looking at anyway? He should have seen it). He looked at Justine for confirmation but she didnt say anything. At that point i think she should have owned up but she didnt. I think Serena went on to lose that service game, and it definitely threw her bc she only won one more game after that, and that was when Justine played a bad game serving for the match. I've pretty much lost my respect for Justine after this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've heard that justine has raised her hand because of the sun. I think that everybody is overreacting a bit ,that point wasn't sooooooo important , Justine was just better thursday just like serena was better in Rome, Leipzig ... Ju deserved to win, she played great and stayed focused.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Rebecca,

how about we burn Justine at the stake like Joan of Arc and deny Serena admission into France. Since Bill O'reilly and FOX NEWS want to boycott France (when we know they don't give a damn about women's tennis) why don't we ban American players? :rolleyes: I heard that the Williams sisters clothing lines are being burned in the center of Paris and effigies of Henin are being torched in COMPTON. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts