Tennis Forum banner

What Should Dokic Do?

• Go Back To Her Old Style, It Wasn't Broke, Why Fix It?

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Keep on Keeping on, It'll Come In Time and Her Game Will Be As Hot As She Is

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was reading Wertheim and he made a good point, why doesn't Dokic just go back to playing like she did before? As long as shes consistent, I don't see the problem. Sure she could improve, but look what happened?

If I were here I'd say, "you know what, I'm tired of losing in the first round, trick this. I'm just gonna smack the crap out of the ball and hit it from one side to the other!"

What would you do?

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I honestly dont know how much is down to the new improvements, and how much is down to her, I mean in her last three match loses I think she has won the second set convingly and then when thing got tight in the third she cope out.

I dont think match coaching or stratedgy can be blamed when you ahve won a set 6-1, and then loose the next 6-3

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
how is she playing different? i haven't been watchin it on telly.. but her recent results would suggest she's playing badly??

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
tyk101 said:
how is she playing different? i haven't been watchin it on telly.. but her recent results would suggest she's playing badly??
To be honest theres no noticable diffrence, appart from she is all out agressive, but she was like that in the first place, but now its more extreme. Also she travels to the net more, but this is successfull and should be left in her game.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Dokic can't go back to her old game, it was too one-dimensional

She will bounce back, her game is okay, it's only mental for the moment IMO

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, it seems more mental
I really dont know why more players hire sports psychologists.

they're not always a quick fix, but they do help
Tennis is mostly mental

I guess its a pride thing

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Her new game involves being much more aggresive that she was previously.

She now times the ball differently, taking it as early on the rise as possible and trying to hit it to the corners from the word go. Before she used to hit back to her opponent but now she is timing it very early. She is also coming to the net as much as possible, trying to take advantage of her early strokes and surprising her opponent at the net. Unfortunately adjusting to this style = inconsistent player. When she is playing well with it, she dominates but since she isn't used to the timing etc, she often hits a HUGE amount of UE

·
Banned
3,727 Posts
She even said herself it is quite mental at the moment. She has alot of things going on in her mind, I think she will eventually overcome those. I hope she can go well next week and gain some confidence.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
I haven't seen Jelena play recently, but it strikes me that even if she's restructuring her game it shouldn't be at the loss of so many of the matches that she's been expected to win recently.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
hope this is just a this time thing...
just a slump. she'll be back hopefully.
she should hire a new coach, something she could do to refresh.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I feel for her cos with the french approaching, she hasn't had any good results and she has fourth round pts to defend. Now it seems that since Anastasia went out first round last year, Ana might actually claim the #10 spot for a while.

I just feel for her. It's sad. The only way for her is if Daniela or someone with more pts to defend fall first. I hate to say that is the only way for her to stay alive. I wish her the best with all the stuff she was going through with her family and shit. Not to have them around no matter how destructive they have been it still isn't comforting to know that you are out there alone in the world and you have to trust typical strangers all over again. I just feel for her and hope she makes out ok and not like Patty Schnyder who is still trying to regain her form on a consistant basis. Oh well.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
I saw her playing in...was it Paris?...in early March/late February.

What was striking was the amount of weight she'd lost, when she hadn't appeared overweight before!

Looks like Gunthart has put her on a special diet.

She was not noticeably quicker, though, and her biggest weakness (netting when she tries to hit an angled forehand on the run) was still evident.

As in Davenport's case last summer, Dokic had lost the weight but it had made very little impression on her tennis - in fact, she was less potent than before.

·
Premium Member
20,681 Posts
coaches always say "why change a winning game?? or never change a winning game".

In a way she did need to get another demension to her game as alot of the player were getting use to Jelena just pounding the ball from the back of the court, she had the same old tacticis match after match after match. So wat do u do?

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i haven't been able to see her new game so i can't really comment but as long as this helps her in the long run then i think she should keep going. a lot of poeple say she has so much talent but truthfully i didn't see much more in her than what she was doing the last couple of years but if it helps her get in the top 5 and stay there even if it takes awhile then i think it is worth it.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I actually think she is doing the right thing..

If she wanted to stay ranked between 7-10 for the rest of her career, she should have left it as is, but if she wants to become an elite contender and actually wina slam she does need to revamp the game...

In all honesty though, I wish she'd retire.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
other than the retire bit i like that post phil and agree...she shouldnt purely focus short term

·
Registered
677 Posts
it's a mental problem,as often happens in this sport.
she needs something good in her life or a great victory on the court that will give her confidence...we've to waitfor this happens soon otherwise i am afraid we can lose her as player...her coach is good and if she's doing some changements I think we'll have the results later,so we've to wait.But if the problem is mental as we thing,the situation is different...:-(

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
if she was to get a win over a great player while making changes then she is more likely to work hard and vice versa. since her results have been so poor she might not be working as hard as she could be.

·
Banned
3,727 Posts
She said the game change is really good, and she thinks it will eventually be a game to beat the williams. She says it is Mental and that there are some things from training she hasnt been able to introduce into her matches yet because of that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts