Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Davenport seems to have thrown in the towel after losing to Sharapova in the SFs. She seems to think she cannot compete with these up and comers, thus time to leave the stage.

After what Maria did to Serena today, do you think Davenport should rethink retirement? Maybe she was too quick to assume she can no longer compete at the top.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Well Lindsay said a while ago she didn't want to be a semi/quarter final looser which is what shes done for a while.

I think shes lost her fight to play tennis.Will be sad if she does retire.

·
26,899 Posts
First of all, Sharapova played much better today.

And Serena was fighting at least, Lindsay wasn't.

Lindsay should retire after this season. :)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
She has already said winning does not excite her as much and losing doesn't bother so much, once you have those feelings probably time to retire gracefully.

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
With her knee degenerating, I dont think its a choice, I think if she carries on playing much longer she may not be able to walk in later life.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
She'll probably get the surgery for her knee whether she plays again or not. Just because she'll need it to be active at all on that knee.

Anyway, I feel like she's retired already in her head and I don't see her playing past the WTA Champs.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think she should rethink it. I would not be surprised if I see her at one more Wimby. Lindsay was probably kinda sad and disappointed after her loss and said it might be her last Wimby. But who knows, it's up to her. I actually feel that she does have one more slam in her. She's just lacking confidence (and to be honest, quick movement). I mean talk about people who always bring up that Venus hasn't won a slam in 3 years. It's been 4 for Linds. Linds has a great career. Many titles and 3 Majors on 3 diff. surfaces. She's already placed herself in the Hall of Fame. Hey if Pam can be inducted, there's no doubt Lindsay will be.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
shes crazy to retire. If it wasnt for the rain delay she would have beaten maria and had a shot at the title.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
i agree its crazy but it has to happen some time. shes had a great career, i just wish her knee was okay because if it was she would/could last another year :crying2:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,053 Posts
She hasn't definately decided if she is to retire, she said she will think about it at the end of the season, whilst it is highly likely she will. There is also a small chance that she will decide to play on for a while longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts