Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Billie Jean should step down as team captin for the FED Cup and the Olympics? I don't want to put her down, but something doesn't seem right about the way she handles coaching.

EX: 1. not letting Raymond on Olympic team (I didn't think to much)
2. fight with Jen (I started wondering)
3. not letting Megan or Alexandra play (I'm seriously loosing faith)

Trust me, I'm a female athlete and I praise Billie Jean for what she did. However, I don't like the way she is handling things. Just how may American players must she screw in order to get her way. Would things be better or worse if somebody took her place.?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hell No!

She made the right decision regarding the olympic selection. On the issue of doubles play last saturday, its a toss-up. On one hand, she could have let Alex/Meghan play since the series was already won. On the other hand, if you took a poll amongst the fans and ask: Williams/Williams or Alex/Meghan, I think the 5000 fans would overwhelmingly vote Williams/Williams. But stepping down...Hell No!

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
shannona -

1) The Lisa Raymond incident - I can see why Lisa was disapointed, it was a tough call, but venus and serena have won almost every slam they play, and it was Olympic gold at stake - she could have chosen Lisa and Venus to play doubles but it wouldnt have been such a sure bet that they'd have taken home the gold. It was a hard decision and BJK is either gonna upset Lisa Raymond or Serena Williams, and who would you prefer to disapoint?? No offense to Lisa, but Serena is Serena.

2) The Jennifer incident was purely and utterly Jen being a primadonna.
WEhat clinces that for me are how vocal Monica and Meghan were in support of BJK - they stuck to the rules, so should have Jennifer. If Monica and Meg thought BJK was unfair Im sure they would have remained more quiet on the issue - said no comment etc.

3) Alex is a whinger, and the fans wanted Venus and Serena, and V + S WANTED to play - who ar eoyu gonna offend?? Your 9th ranked best player, or your #1 and 2???

I think people expect the whole Fed cup thing to just run smoothly, but when you have such an abundance of talent to choose from, inevitable you are gonna upset people, its not that BJK is handling things wrong - its a touch position - Fed Cup Captain, and I dont think there is anyone on earht who'd be able to do the job without putting ANY noses out of joint.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
selesfan said:
What a surprise another BJK thread. :rolleyes:
Seriously. If I was a newbie, I'd think that BJK was the most popular active player on the tour! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I think that BJK should definitely STEP IT UP! She is a legend. The legend who made what the WTA is today. All the players should be kissing her a$$ royally because they get to benefit from all of the blood and sweat BJK shed to put women's tennis on the map.

She sees talent very well. She's made all of the right decisions for the USA. As a captain, her job is to insure success. I'd say she's kicking a$$!!! :worship:

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
vs1 said:
She sees talent very well. She's made all of the right decisions for the USA. As a captain, her job is to insure success. I'd say she's kicking a$$!!! :worship:
Well, success is hardly surprising given the calibre of players she can choose from. I'd say the USA are winning in spite of Billie. The big decision she made, where she really had an influence, led the USA's most embarassing exit from Fed Cup in decades, and one which left a lot of fans very disappointing, having lost a rubber and the main player in one fell swoop.

it's time the axe came down on billie.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
vs1 said:
Seriously. If I was a newbie, I'd think that BJK was the most popular active player on the tour! :rolleyes:
Confusing is more the word. Seems to be a hate campaign.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Billie Jean should step off her high horse thats for sure.

Reactions: baleineau

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think anyone would want that job the way some of you treat people! The legacy for most great leaders is that they do what they think is best and damn anyone else who thinks differently.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
when you are a great player... it doesn't necessary mean that you would make a great coach too...!!!
:) :)

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
bee said:
when you are a great player... it doesn't necessary mean that you would make a great coach too...!!!
:) :)
i think that's true. there's a danger of being "too involved". it leads to favouritism, personality clashes and conspiracy theories.

that's why i think someone like meredith mcgrath, amy frazier or mary joe fernandez should take over in the next 1-2 years.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
She was a great on court champion and off court champion of causes, however a good coach she is not! To be the type of champion she was in the past requires a large dose of ego, and that gets in the way of being an effective coach. It is time for someone else to fill this role.
I vote for Chris Evert... she's experienced, has been a great mentor to many women on the circuit, and is patient & fair in her decision making. She would make an awesome coach!!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
CAPPY4EVER said:
She was a great on court champion and off court champion of causes, however a good coach she is not! To be the type of champion she was in the past requires a large dose of ego, and that gets in the way of being an effective coach. It is time for someone else to fill this role.
I vote for Chris Evert... she's experienced, has been a great mentor to many women on the circuit, and is patient & fair in her decision making. She would make an awesome coach!!
Chris? I loved Chris as a player but she would be a lousy coach, she can't even commentate. Of course we know why you would want Chris, isn't she like a sister to Jennifer. ;)

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
LOL @ Keith

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
selesfan said:
Chris? I loved Chris as a player but she would be a lousy coach, she can't even commentate. Of course we know why you would want Chris, isn't she like a sister to Jennifer. ;)
They are really not that close, actually.

What does commentating have to do with coaching?? These 2 are not even closely related, as far as skill sets. Many of the younger players on the tour that Chris has been a WTA mentor to have stated how helpful she was and I think Chris has the right demeanor and temperment to be an effective yet non-intrusive coach for FED CUP. ;)

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
No shes done a good job. Those things she did were only for the benefit of the team, in order to give them the best chance of winning. Shes entitled to not pick Meghann or Alex, after all a lot of Fed Cup teams are only two-woman teams.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wasn't Billie Jean the first woman to coach a team that featured men in the 70's! Martina, Serena, Venus and a slew of other MEN and women have said that Billie Jean's a great coach! I would rather listen to champions give their testimony then some of you internet coaches who's probably never set foot on a tennis court in your lives!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts