Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if I understand this correctly American TV has yet to show an Ancic match which means I have never seen him play,

has yet to show a Gasquet match which means I have never seen him play,

has yet to show a Nadal match which means I have never seeen him play

I don't want to hear any BS about the stupid tennis channel that only 10 people in the whole US can watch However I do want to ask the f*****g ATP how the hell is the average tennis fan supposed to find out and and get excited about the new generation of men's tennis prodigies when noone can see them? Reading articles on some sites tey seem to be implying that there is a genY revolution burgeoning in men's tennis but you'd never know it from the TV/cable exposure .

All done and I feel better. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
It's not the ATP's fault, it's the American networks who only want to show Agassi and Roddick. I'm almost thankful for the Tennis Channel, because it means that I am not getting US Coverage for the clay masters series, but feed from Europe. Which means that I can see matches I want to see sometimes, and not just Americans. For example, they showed Coria-Nadal a couple weeks ago, a match I highly doubt I would have seen under US ESPN.

It's ironic though, because evetually, when Agassi retires, the ESPN writers will bitch and bitch about poor ratings because of all of the "nobodies", without accepting the blame; that they are only "nobodies" because they never bothered to introduce them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Rebecca said:
To make my rant shorter ;):

If Ancic, Gasquet, or Nadal were American, you would have seen them 23042343 times by now, they would have been on tennis magazine, the New York Times would have run articles on them, and you would be so sick of them already that you would never want to see them again ;)
lol Is THAT why I'm sick to death of Pandy and A-hole?! :p ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Rebecca said:
Sure is.

Now it's time for me to make a short rant. Nadal upsets a top 5 player, and I can't find one stinking article in English about it? None of the main sports sites have bothered to write fuck all about it. That is SUCH horseshit.
Typical and BORINGLY predictable! :rolleyes: :( Not even UK papers? Eurosport or BBC? Independent? Guardian? How about AUS papers? Maybe not... I'm going out on a limb here... ;)

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
RogiFan said:
Typical and BORINGLY predictable! :rolleyes: :( Not even UK papers? Eurosport or BBC? Independent? Guardian? How about AUS papers? Maybe not... I'm going out on a limb here... ;)
I tried the BBC, and found nothing. I found a couple of things on Spanish Yahoo, but wanted something English to post as well, so that the English readers in my group would be able to read it.

Eurosport has nothing more than a tiny paragraph. I haven't checked the Independant and Guardian.. can you give me the links there?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rebecca said:
It's not the ATP's fault, it's the American networks who only want to show Agassi and Roddick. I'm almost thankful for the Tennis Channel, because it means that I am not getting US Coverage for the clay masters series, but feed from Europe. Which means that I can see matches I want to see sometimes, and not just Americans. For example, they showed Coria-Nadal a couple weeks ago, a match I highly doubt I would have seen under US ESPN.

It's ironic though, because evetually, when Agassi retires, the ESPN writers will bitch and bitch about poor ratings because of all of the "nobodies", without accepting the blame; that they are only "nobodies" because they never bothered to introduce them.

OK this is my problem Why is the ATP not involved in negotiating tv righs? isn't it their responsibility to GROW THE SPORT???? Shouldn't they be trying to get everyone invested in it? Unless I'm mistaken the idea is to have maximum exposure not minimal to nonexistent

And How the f*** did you get the tennis channel? Aren't you in Canada?
this is not a Canada bash but I was led to believe that TTC was only available in the US so if you get it and me in NYC doesn't get the danm channel than I may set up a website dedicated solely to hating all tennis authorites in the US

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
If I say that Eurosport also seems to be avoiding to treat us to the young and prospective players, would that make your life easier, tennisfan12345?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know I'm in a really bitchy mood right now. Usually watching tennis on tv is nice stress relief
OBVIOUSLY that ain't happening so right now i'm at the F*** everyone that annoys me stage.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
No, we do not get the tennis channel in Canada. Sorry for being ambiguous. What I meant was that because the Tennis Channel bought the rights to the European Masters Series, ESPN in the states has no carried them. TSN usually buys coverage from ESPN, and thus I see the same coverage you normally would. However because this is not available to us, we're getting feed from either S.America or Europe - I don't know where.

And the ATP doesn't decide who they show on TV. ESPN buys the rights which means that they show whoever the piss they want. ATP does lots wrong, but this isn't really their fault; it's your xenophobic network. If it helps, I'm sure that other people from other countries have the same problems though, so it's not just American networks that blow.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I guess this Short Rant can go on and on and on..........

Can I also just rant here since I'm in a ****ing mood because Guga lost today? ;)

And Becca, so it's a good thing for Canada fans because of TTC?

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
totally off-topic....but Rebecca? why aren't you posting in the NHL thread?? it's dull as tomes in there!!!!

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Lee *hugh*

Well, Eurosport has been nasty to us too. But at least they are being honest saying: "British Eurosport viewers will see a mouth-watering encounter between Guga and Safin, while we will show the Haas match to our Eurosport International viewers since the majority of them are Germans"

From Us Open 2002 :fiery:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks vaiva!

I'm in much better shape emotionally since I kicked down the dummy in my TKD class a few times today. I read the score in the morning and then had to rush to my class!

With the way Guga is playing, I am thinking putting a dummy in my house so things like keyboard, monitor, computer, doors, etc may survive their normal life span.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts