Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a few nasty-sarcastic comments directed at Lindsay for her statements about Venus.<br />"maybe now Lindsay should be investigated for defaulting, etc."<br />People with short memories or no memories at all. <br />Lindsay showed up. More to the point, Lindsay(or her father) have never threatened not to play WTA events. <br />To her credit, neither has Venus, but last year Richard DID make those threats, saying the sisters should get a part of the gate when they do play. Right before the WTA championships, which neither girl entered. And while neither sister has made crazy statemente like that, they didn't address them either. The WTA may be making a mistake a mistake in "investigating", but all this hardly comes from nowhere.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Rollo - This investigation thing in stupid. Trying to justify it doesn't make it less stupid.

·
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that the investigation is unwise, but ignoring the causes for the mistrust and lashing out at other players is "stupid" as well, Volcana. There is some justification for the suspicions-there was NO justification for Richards remarks.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Richard is Venus and Serena's coach and father and made a comment that he felt was at the time right since other individual sports like boxing practice the same behavior where top fighters get a percentage of the gate and televison fees. It in no way meant that Venus and Serena wanted that. If they id then they went about it in the right manner which was to use their mouth piece who happens to be Richard. What is wrong with requesting something that could be denied? He didn't pull them from the tour they are still on the tour. If he believes that his daughters are that great then he has every right for them to get paid for their greatness.

Isn't it ironic that no one said anything when he in fact controlled the USopen and for years everyone was saying that he was silly when he insisted that his daugthers one day will......imagine this or actually look at 1999-Serena champion/2000-Venus champion/ 2001- Venus and Serena meet in the final after demolishing the competition....

He might be onto something with his remark. If the sisters draw the crowd then they should be compensated for it. If having Venus in the draw means that the world will be watching then Venus should be compensated for it.. I don't see why the other players would be upset. Afterall the success of the tournament depends on the turnout of the fans and not the players. This adds to more motivation to that player that defeats Venus in that tournament. I say Venus sells tickets then Venus should be compensated like wise.....

It's not fair for Venus to make the same as everyone else when she is the attraction in that tournament. You have to add some distinction to the player and recognize them for their individual talent. If Tiger Woods gets a percentage then Venus should too. If the tournaments want to sell tickets they have too pay Venus and serena....there's no ifs and buts about it.

Give them their due. The Usopen would have been doomed if Richard demanded this extra fee this year....what do you think? It sold tickets and got ratings...no other player besides Billie Jean King was mentioned that night as much as Venus and Serena and the name Williams. They even made the front pages of the New York papers.

They deserve the extra incentive as well as Anna Kournikova...if these players sell tickets...give it to them.

·
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had to bump the last post up. Worth a good laugh. FYI Maccardel, while Venus or Anna not playing the tour makes a difference-Wimbledon or the US Open goes on with or without the stars. The tour needs the stars, but the slams make them.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I cannot believe Rollo wrote this. Being upset about the negative remarks that have been made about Davenport is cool, but you don't uplift Davenport by tearing down the Williams family. That makes you seem exactly like the people you are complaining about when you started this thread sweetie. Maybe you just needed to vent, hopefully you're done now hun.

Serena_TheBody_Williams .... Keepin' it real!

·
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How am I "tearing down the Williams family?" Serena the Body? All I'm saying is there are two sides to every story-and memories are short and facts ignored by "haters" and the VIP(Venus is Perfect) society. I never claimed to support the investigation, but it's not simply an issue of 100% right or wrong, black or white-on either side.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Rollo, If you have to ask, theres no point in me elaborating. We're still cool though, I'm not the kind of person who is only friends with peeps that agree with me.<br />Later!

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Right on Rollo, fantastic post...

You were spot on and correct in everything you posted...

BTW - Love the VIP remark!!!

I think what we see more of, unfortunately, is the RIP club - Richard is Perfect...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts