Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
- So far more than 120 different womans in tennis history won some slam. Only 18 of them won slam in Juniors competition too.
- So far more than 150 different girls in tennis history won some slam in Junior competition. Only 18 of them won slam in Senior competition after that.
- Nobody of winners of last 38 Juniors slam finals still not reach real slam titles (but in other hand six times of this last 38 Jr.GS finals Junior slam runnerup reach GS title in senior WTA competition :lol: ).
- Last player who won JUNIORS Australian Open and won some slam after that is Sue Barker who won at Jr.AO in 1975!?
- Only two winners in Jr. US Open history (Capriati'89 and Davenport'92) won some real slam in her careers!?
- After 1980 only two Jr. Wimbledon winners (Hingis'94 and Mauresmo'96) won some real slam in her careers!?
- After 1977 in Juniors competition we have also rankings like in real WTA and only two girls who finished some year like #1 world Junior reach WTA#1 position in her career - Hingis and Mauresmo.
- Only Goolagong of all 13 womans who reach more than 5 slams in her career won some slam in Junior competition (Jr.AO1970)!? They won together 167 GS (singles) titles, but only ONE in Juniors competition!?

:eek: :rolleyes: :p :tape: :confused: :help:

Reactions: auntie janie

·
Team WTAworld, Lounge Owner
44,144 Posts
I'm so glad that Tamira didn't win a Junior GS :lol: :p

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
They've had much better chances then those who havent won a juniors slam...

·
Registered
54,895 Posts
- Last player who won JUNIORS Australian Open and won some slam after that is Sue Barker who won at Jr.AO in 1975!?
Jelena will break this record :cool:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Not really true.

Sharapova and Vaidisova never won slams in juniors, but they are the top of their age group.
Think of all the the players who haven't won junior slams ;). I'm sure the percentage of them going on to win a pro slam is much smaller than those who have won a junior slam

I think a better way to approach this would be to say: How many of the top players played top level juniors. The answer would be most of them. Vaidisova won the Orange Bowl, which is the junior equivelant of a slam and Sharapova made two finals.

·
Your fav could never....
9,158 Posts
Its simply casue the slam contenders are too good for the juniors for the age and hence move up to the senior ranks much earlier (eg: Sharapova, Vaidisova & Golovin) and hence never reach the top of the junior ranks.

So the junior ranks are really for the best players who can never reach the top of the senior game (eg: Azarenka, Aniko Kapros & Nicole Pratt)

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think of all the the players who haven't won junior slams ;). I'm sure the percentage of them going on to win a pro slam is much smaller than those who have won a junior slam

I think a better way to approach this would be to say: How many of the top players played top level juniors. The answer would be most of them. Vaidisova won the Orange Bowl, which is the junior equivelant of a slam and Sharapova made two finals.
But this stats is realy shocking if we compare theys with any other sports.
Also if you thinking that Orange Bowl champions have better career than AO, RG, Wim, USO Juniors champions - you are wrong. After 1970 only one Orange Bowl champion won slam in womans competition (Justine Henin) and nobady else! This is also pathetic stats.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its simply casue the slam contenders are too good for the juniors for the age and hence move up to the senior ranks much earlier (eg: Sharapova, Vaidisova & Golovin) and hence never reach the top of the junior ranks.

So the junior ranks are really for the best players who can never reach the top of the senior game (eg: Azarenka, Aniko Kapros & Nicole Pratt)
Vaidisova and Golovin still not reach any slam titles (junior or senior) and they is not part of this story, and Sharapova lose her Jr. GS final against only 6 months older Dushevina. Next year Sharapova won real Wimbledone and where is Dushevina three years after that? Also, youngest players who started her PRO career - Hingis and Capriati is players which won slam titles in both competition, and for example on other hand Martina Navratilova started to play PRO tour with 18, but in juniors dont have nothing special... etc... etc...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
But this stats is realy shocking if we compare theys with any other sports.
Also if you thinking that Orange Bowl champions have better career than AO, RG, Wim, USO Juniors champions - you are wrong. After 1970 only one Orange Bowl champion won slam in womans competition (Justine Henin) and nobady else! This is also pathetic stats.
Some great juniors who became great pro players didn't play the Jr Slams. Chris Evert was a number one junior from the 12s up, but I don't remember any mention of her playing the Jr Slams. Maybe for her, it was the lack of a sponsor/money back then?

She was invited to Wimbledon as a 16 year old in 1971 to play the main draw (her dad declined the invite) and the US Open in 1971. Of course, after that she played only the main draws.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
It is confusing, because Martina Hingis has 5 "Senior" slams and won wimbledon and roland garros (twice) junior grandslams.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts

Azarenka will reach the top of the senior game. ;)

·
Registered
152,750 Posts

:confused: Azarenka seemed to come out of the blue there. She's making her way up still, and is still 17. I'm sure there are other more suitable examples than Vika. (Strycova perhaps?)

·
A Young Troubadour.
16,344 Posts
Nowadays, it seems the juniors that are dominating the juniors circuit are peaking when they are still a junior like Dushevina or Strycova :shrug:

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I just found it surprising that Ai Sugiyama wasn't impressive on the main tour at early ages.But she turned out to be one of the most successful Asian women in tennis history. :D :cool:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,732 Posts
I don't think it is shocking at all.

If you took a look at the kid who had the best grades in his school, I bet most of the time he or she doesn't end up having the most successful career out of all his peers. But likewise most of the time he or she will have gone on to have a very good career.

A junior Grand Slam doesn't by any means guarentee an adult Grand Slam but it usually indicates a player who is going to have a successful WTA career. Every junior Slam winner of the last 5 years has reached the top 100 except Szavay and Pavlyuchenkova and they will be there too before very long. None of that lot however have won a senior Slam. Some of them might before their careers end but having won their junior trophies won't make it any easier for them.

·
Banned
14,999 Posts
i noticed that too :lol:
poor Azarenka, Radwanska and Pav :hug:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,732 Posts
i noticed that too :lol:
poor Azarenka, Radwanska and Pav :hug:
For goodness sakes. It doesn't mean players that win junior slams are some how jinxed. All this indicates is that sucess at junior level doesn't guarentee the same level of success at senior level. Once you finish your junior career nothing you have done in your junior career will help you in your senior career. But it sure as hell won't hurt you either.

·
Registered
25,232 Posts
I don't think it is shocking at all.

If you took a look at the kid who had the best grades in his school, I bet most of the time he or she doesn't end up having the most successful career out of all his peers. But likewise most of the time he or she will have gone on to have a very good career.

A junior Grand Slam doesn't by any means guarentee an adult Grand Slam but it usually indicates a player who is going to have a successful WTA career. Every junior Slam winner of the last 5 years has reached the top 100 except Szavay and Pavlyuchenkova and they will be there too before very long. None of that lot however have won a senior Slam. Some of them might before their careers end but having won their junior trophies won't make it any easier for them.
True. I mean Juniors is really just another level that a player has to go through first in order to progress into the Pro Circuit. As your keep progressing through the juniors & then onto the seniors, players keep on improving their games & if you don't then you won't have a successful career.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts