Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any news on her, what she is doing now? She used to play back in the 1970's/early 80's? An American player.

·
Administrator
65,040 Posts
Anybody have any news on her, what she is doing now? She used to play back in the 1970's/early 80's? An American player.
Remember her giving Martina her toughest match at Wimbly in 83

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Want to move this back up as I'm still trying to find out any information on Sherry Acker. Anyone know what she's doing now?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Want to move this back up as I'm still trying to find out any information on Sherry Acker. Anyone know what she's doing now?
I am sure that she is married and has kids, but that is based on a conversation with an ex pro male player I know and I am not convinced he knew what he was talking about!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks iainmac. You don't have any more news do you? Some of the tennis players of that time are on Facebook, but can't find anything on Sherry Acker or anything. Tried googling it but it doesn't come up with anything.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Thanks iainmac. You don't have any more news do you? Some of the tennis players of that time are on Facebook, but can't find anything on Sherry Acker or anything. Tried googling it but it doesn't come up with anything.
No worries although as I say my friend is an ex Swedish player of that era and he was a bit vague re details. He also told me confidently that Durie won the Australian Open doubles with Hobbs one year he was Down Under so.......:lol: Acker was a good player though. I remember that.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Whenever I hear about Sherry Acker, I always think of Mary Carillo. They played doubles together several times. Acker had some good results in doubles, QF at the '79 French (w/ A. Smith d. Jausovec/Ruzici), SF at the '79 USO (w Anthony d. Durr/Wade), QF at '81 Wimbledon. Probably played with Lele Forood more than anyone else.

Don't know anything about her though.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Whenever I hear about Sherry Acker, I always think of Mary Carillo. They played doubles together several times. Acker had some good results in doubles, QF at the '79 French (w/ A. Smith d. Jausovec/Ruzici), SF at the '79 USO (w Anthony d. Durr/Wade), QF at '81 Wimbledon. Probably played with Lele Forood more than anyone else.

Don't know anything about her though.
Those are pretty impressive doubles results there. Especially to defeat Jausovec and Ruzici on clay. I always think of her taking a set off Evert at the 79 US Open. And for me as a British patriot back then, I remember her losing to Debbie Jevans at the 82 Open.:)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I believe that Sherry's father was the head tennis coach at Kalamazoo College and that's where she grew up. Can't remember anything else.
She was a really good serve and volley player that is what I predominantly remember about Acker, and that she was as you say from Kalamazoo.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Those are pretty impressive doubles results there. Especially to defeat Jausovec and Ruzici on clay. I always think of her taking a set off Evert at the 79 US Open. And for me as a British patriot back then, I remember her losing to Debbie Jevans at the 82 Open.:)
I was at that 1979 US Open match, when Sherry had the gall to be the first one to take a set from Chris Evert in nearly 4 years! I mean who did she think she was?! I thought Chris should have schmeared Sherry with a double bagel just to prove a point, alas Evert was "too nice" and gave Sherry 2 games in the third set, to win 4-6,6-0,6-2. Seriously, it was a wonderful result for Sherry to reach the R16 at the Open (I think her best ever singles Slam result), and challenge the Queen for a time.

I know there was a Judy Acker, but don't know if she was a relative.

While I don't think Sherry ever got air time, I can only imagine Bud Collins dubbing her Acker the Hacker, knowing how much Bud's propensity for rhyming nicknames, and using the word hacker!! But Bud would have loved Sherry's game. She was certainly no hacker, having solid strokes, and a wonderful serve volley game!!! Something utterly and sorely missing in today's women's game :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone have any idea where she is now and what she's doing? I think Judy Acker is her sister.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I was at that 1979 US Open match, when Sherry had the gall to be the first one to take a set from Chris Evert in nearly 4 years! I mean who did she think she was?! I thought Chris should have schmeared Sherry with a double bagel just to prove a point, alas Evert was "too nice" and gave Sherry 2 games in the third set, to win 4-6,6-0,6-2. Seriously, it was a wonderful result for Sherry to reach the R16 at the Open (I think her best ever singles Slam result), and challenge the Queen for a time.

I know there was a Judy Acker, but don't know if she was a relative.

While I don't think Sherry ever got air time, I can only imagine Bud Collins dubbing her Acker the Hacker, knowing how much Bud's propensity for rhyming nicknames, and using the word hacker!! But Bud would have loved Sherry's game. She was certainly no hacker, having solid strokes, and a wonderful serve volley game!!! Something utterly and sorely missing in today's women's game :(
You are so right there Dennis. I remember she also gave Navratilova a good match at Wimbledon one year. And I saw her live at Eastbourne a few times and she covered the court really well. Evert may not have been at her peak at the time of the 79 US Open but it is still one of the most remarkably unlikely sets she ever lost at GS level. I take it Acker bombarded the net that day and rushed Evert? Mind you Sherry seemed to fall from the top hundred level pretty rapidly didnt she??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is Sherry doing now? Is she still involved in tennis and is she married with kids? Any news you can share with us?

·
25,232 Posts
An article on the passing of Sherry's father. It states she is now in Jacksonville, Florida.

Here 's a picture of Acker form the mid 1970s. Sherry is on the right, with Anne Smith (multiple doubles slam winner) on the left

Attachments

·
25,232 Posts
George Acker's obit:

http://www.mlive.com/sports/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2011/07/kalamazoo_college_tennis_coach.html

Kalamazoo College tennis coaching legend George Acker leaves a powerful legacy

Published: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 6:00 AM Updated: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 10:17 AM

KALAMAZOO — Mark Riley knew that when he looked into the stands at Stowe Stadium, George Acker would be there watching the Kalamazoo College men’s tennis team in action.
Acker coached the team from 1958 to 1993 and Riley, the team’s current coach, always took comfort from seeing his mentor there. Knowing the legendary coach won’t be at matches next season is hitting Riley and hundreds of alumni from the storied program hard.​

Acker, 82, died from complications of a stroke on Wednesday at Bronson Methodist Hospital. He suffered the stroke on July 12, took a turn for the worse two days later, and was removed from support on Friday.​

“As I walked into the hospital to see him (last week), I thought: ‘One day Coach isn’t going to be in that corner for all our matches,’ ” said Riley, a 1982 K-College graduate who played for Acker for four years.
“Coach Acker could yell at you and make you better without raising his voice. He could make you look in the mirror, which is hard for an 18- or 22-year-old to do.”​
George Acker
The night of his stroke, he was watching a replay of Andy Roddick’s Davis Cup match on the Tennis Channel, said Nancy Acker, his wife of 56 years.​

“I asked him why he was watching the match when he already knew Roddick had lost,” she said. “He said he wanted to see what (Roddick) was doing. He was still being a coach.”​
Acker retired from coaching in 1993, but he went out on top.

K-College hosted the NCAA Division III championships that year. The Hornets won it all, their seventh national title, dedicating the title to their coach.​

After his team won the title, “He went onto the courts at Stowe Stadium, grabbed the K-College flag, turned his hat backwards and ran around the courts in euphoria,” then-assistant coach Timon Corwin said. “His ability to connect with young men several generations apart was remarkable and the reason all of us who had the privilege of playing for him loved him like a father.”
K-College tennis players keep in touch with each other, and after Riley sent a message that Acker was in the hospital, “Several players came from hours away and it was so good to hear their heartwarming stories,” the Ackers’ youngest daughter, Gigi Acker, said.​

“They came with so much love and admiration for him, it was really special for us.”
One of those former players was Ven Johnson, a 1983 K-College graduate who is an attorney in Southfield.​

“You can hear the smile when I talk about him,” Johnson said. “He was a second father figure to me. He was bigger than life.
“I sat there (in the hospital) and cried with Mrs. Coach (Nancy Acker) and held his hand and told him I loved him.​

“He will always live on. We will honor our coach with the way we live our lives.”​
George Acker coached several other sports at Kalamazoo College, including wrestling, cross country and football. Here, he instructs two football players during the 1963 season.
Johnson said Acker ran a Division I tennis program at a Division III school.
“Guys turned down scholarships (at D-I schools) to play tennis at Kalamazoo College for Coach Acker,” he said. “We played some of the best Division I schools every year.”
The Hornets took their lumps against those D-I schools, which led to their 537-231-2 overall record under Acker.​

But it helped in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play, where they posted a 209-1 record and 35 consecutive league titles.​

Acker was named NCAA Division III coach of the year in 1982 and 1991, and was national coach of the decade for the 1980s. He also coached 38 All-Americans, including Corwin, who is now now managing director of tennis operations at Western Racquet Club in Elk Grove, Wis.
Corwin, a 1986 K-College graduate, took over for Acker in 1994.​

“Coach was a master teacher, one of those very rare talents that you know when you are with him and working with him that the experience is special," Corwin said. "(He was) ultra patient, and generous with his time and energy, a consummate student of the game. Coach was the John Wooden of college tennis.​

“Coach had a favorite saying: ‘No one is ever totally useless, they can always serve as a bad example.’ He never gave up on anyone, always trying to help others get better in tennis and life.”
When Acker retired, the street in front of the tennis courts was renamed Acker Lane.​

Riley said Acker’s family had to share him with his players, but that was not a problem, Gigi Acker said.
“He loved being a dad and family was very important in his life,” she said. “Family oozed out of him. He’s mostly known as Kalamazoo College’s tennis coach, but he was our coach, too.​

“I get stories about him from people all the time. I feel so lucky and so proud to be his daughter.”
His four children all played tennis. Judy Acker-Smith and Sherry Acker both attended the University of Florida and won an NCAA Division I doubles title together. Sherry Acker played on the pro tennis circuit and was ranked as high as 26th in the nation. Cindy and Gigi Acker competed as far as high school tennis.​

In 1973, the Ackers were named USTA Tennis Family of the Year, an award he cherished.
Acker graduated in 1952 from Northern Illinois University, where he was captain of the tennis team his final two seasons. He was head tennis coach at NIU (1955-57) and then head tennis coach at Rich Township High School in Park Forest, Ill. (1957-58) before joining the faculty at K-College.
Besides tennis, Acker coached the college’s wrestling (1960-66) and cross country teams (1966-72), and was the football line coach under Rolla Anderson (1959-68).​

He was a recipient of the Florence J. Lucasse Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1985 and was inducted into the K-College Hall of Fame in 1998.​

He was president of the Western Tennis Association for 10 years and was assistant director and associate tournament referee for the USTA Boys’ 18 & 16 National Championships.
Survivors include his wife, Nancy, and daughters Judy Acker-Smith (Rick Smith), of Portage; Cindy Acker, Livonia; Sherry Acker, Jacksonville, Fla., and Gigi Acker (Hugh Cooney), Los Altos, Calif., seven grandchildren and a great granddaughter.​

Funeral arrangements are being handled by Betzler Life Story Funeral Home.​

1 - 20 of 22 Posts