Tennis Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Reread it 20x time but can anyone explain me the last sentence? Is she has shoulder injury now ?
The tweet you quoted (https://twitter.com/SpacePova/status/1081104292805783553) is an inaccurate translation of a paraphrase (in Chinese) of her answer to a question about her health (https://weibo.com/1364631554/HaoeHpo6M).

You can hear the Q & A in the last 50 seconds of this video:
live.weibo.com/show?id=1042097%3A592819922_XsGipc9x1V7ygmtv

Q: This is the first tournament of the season, but you have to withdraw because of injury. Does this worry you about the rest of the season, since this is just the beginning?

A: It is the beginning, but I also haven’t played a lot of times in the last few months. Considering I played, you know, 5 sets……this is just the way things go, I have to be positive, and the season is long. As I said, health is my number one priority, but that’s been a big piece of the puzzle that I haven’t figured out for many years, especially my shoulder, which hasn’t been a secret, having a surgery at 21 years old. So I had to struggle a lot through those injuries, but I found moments of success throughout it and I [inaudible].”

She wasn’t talking about the reason of her withdrawal, but health issue in general, using shoulder injury as an example. On the other hand, you can see her shoulder was taped in QF, so it’s not all well.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Also she has nothing to defend till clay season where she has Rome SF and FO QF, if she wont get healthy and imrpove her game, then bye top 50. :wavey:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The tweet you quoted (https://twitter.com/SpacePova/status/1081104292805783553) is an inaccurate translation of a paraphrase (in Chinese) of her answer to a question about her health (https://weibo.com/1364631554/HaoeHpo6M).

You can hear the Q & A in the last 50 seconds of this video:
live.weibo.com/show?id=1042097%3A592819922_XsGipc9x1V7ygmtv

Q: This is the first tournament of the season, but you have to withdraw because of injury. Does this worry you about the rest of the season, since this is just the beginning?

A: It is the beginning, but I also haven’t played a lot of times in the last few months. Considering I played, you know, 5 sets……this is just the way things go, I have to be positive, and the season is long. As I said, health is my number one priority, but that’s been a big piece of the puzzle that I haven’t figured out for many years, especially my shoulder, which hasn’t been a secret, having a surgery at 21 years old. So I had to struggle a lot through those injuries, but I found moments of success throughout it and I [inaudible].”

She wasn’t talking about the reason of her withdrawal, but health issue in general, using shoulder injury as an example. On the other hand, you can see her shoulder was taped in QF, so it’s not all well.
the shoulder was taped in all of her matches.

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
Injured :facepalm: What is going on with her. It seems as if Meldonium was what kept her body in check, ever since she came back she hasn't been able to play that many tournaments uninjured :tears:

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
A woman who plays tennis.....and at the age of, she was basically slender, (for a year or so, not as slender as now).....if her weight was 155 at that age---would it be healthier for her to be 145 now--to enable quickest possible movement, and other factors.... would it be best to remain consistent, at the same 155...... or would 165 give her natural advantages normal for a woman to add over a decade in terms of strength, durance, power, and anything else.

Sometimes I get the feeling that her model like slenderness might not be best for the ability to play her best tennis. Perhaps an increase, even based on adding muscle, would be potentially damaging. Does she have the best possible in terms of trainers?

·
Registered
820 Posts
We can't compare today Maria to younger one. No matter what she weight. Time is not on her hands. She will be 32 this year and is constantly injured. I know she want to show she still can win but I can,t see any stuff in her game right now that she can compete with today's top players. No matter if yesterday match did not ended with walkover Sabalenka was clearly too strong for her.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Let's just see what will happen in Australia. Look she is higher ranked than both Venus and Azarenka who are the only other girls on tour who match her in terms of success. She has nothing to defend until the clay. But she needs to start showing her will as I didn't see any motivation in Shenzen. If she doesn't want it fine but don't keep going and tarnishing your legacy.

Australia and Russia her next 2 tournaments will tell me how much she wants it. So many of the results are based on how the draws unfold and it's important she keeps her ranking.

If shes injured don't play but don't be spending your time doing press.

I'm always rooting for Maria but her performance was hard to root for in Shenzen as she looked like she would rather be anywhere but there.

·
Registered
733 Posts
As a fan you feel like her career is at its near end and you'll try to enjoy watching her regardless of the outcome.However, its hard to enjoy anymore.Her smile and flying kisses at the end were best part but most of the time its a sad defeated face we get to witness.There are few goods points here and there and that its.Most of the time shes playing baseball or netting everything,she looks frustrated and gives vibes of not wanting to be on court .We dont see her giving death glares either smh.

Its really fable dream to expect the situwation to get better.Off course i would support her to the last official point she plays but her career loses are pilling as well as perfect h2hs getting infiltrated.And most importantly i dont think any of us wants to see her sad and pathetic out there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the reason she looks miserable & like she doesn’t want to be there isn’t a lack of motivation. I think she’s fed up of putting herself out there and then being let down by her body.

I’ve followed María since 2006 through all the ups and downs, and it feels really sad to see this happening. I’m fairly sure this will be her last year so just trying to make the most of it & enjoy her matches, as difficult as that is at the moment!

·
SharaFamily
21,146 Posts
I think whoever add 'lift the weight' in her gym session is wrong (If not wrong, It won't work). Being Maria's fan for 10+ years. I was surprise to see her doing so much on "lift the weight" I don't think It's good for her shoulder..

Maybe just my opinion

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, there is more to it. She's on a medical timeout. Never mind she loses this match. But it is to hope that she doesn't have to cancel her attendance at the AO and she can compete there without the difficulties she's experiencing here in the cold Shenzhen.
Sabalenka looks upbeat, understandable.
Sabalenka just lost in Sydney this afternoon against Petra Kvitova ...

141 - 157 of 157 Posts