Tennis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
SharaFamily
21,160 Posts
Sorry to say that I'm Maria's die hard fan but It's her fault not our fault. She and her big team don't know how to keep her body avaiable for at least 3 matches

·
Registered
961 Posts
No press conference?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sharapova on her injury: 'I have felt my legs for a couple of days and at one particular point I felt a burn and just decided the smarter choice would be to evaluate it and see how it goes next week.'</p>— Ravi Ubha (@raviubha) <a href="https://twitter.com/raviubha/status/1081188343394779145?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 4, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

·
She should just retire, or skip the HC season and wait for clay. What's the point anymore? She looks miserable on the court these days, very little intensity, shitty backhand and erratic forehand. The worst part of her game is her movement. There hasn't been one single iota of improvement on her movement since her comeback. I get injuries make that progress difficult but a year and a half and you're still moving like a slug? She won't win many matches if she can't move well, because her anticipation started going to shit around 2011/2012 and she had to drastically improve her movement to compensate for it. So now she has no movement and no anticipation. Just a sitting duck on the court really. At least on clay she has more time to reach the ball, so just wait for clay season and then dunno maybe hang up the racket.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
She should just retire, or skip the HC season and wait for clay. What's the point anymore? She looks miserable on the court these days, very little intensity, shitty backhand and erratic forehand. The worst part of her game is her movement. .
Seems like a pretty solid analysis on your part. I think it is wrong. lets check back on this January 15th. I think we are in for some good surprises. I don't think there is room for a lot of drop shots....she does not seem to have the feel for what works....mental, not physical shortcoming.

·
Registered
12,444 Posts
I hope it's not as serious as the last leg injury. That one really set her back. I do really feel for her. Regardless of what happens at AO I also think she shouldn't bother playing until the clay.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sorry to say that I'm Maria's die hard fan but It's her fault not our fault. She and her big team don't know how to keep her body avaiable for at least 3 matches
My thoughts exactly.

I really wondered what she did in the past few months in terms of her conditioning.

Losing a match is one thing but sustaining an injury that easily in early rounds is quite unbelievable.

And why Shenzhen during winter when you are supposedly playing an Australian summer? Wrong choice again. She should have known it better since last year. And like others pointed out, she was fine not playing a warm up event before and purely focus on AO this should be her approach moving forward this year.

·
Registered
625 Posts
She is going to have to reinvent her game if she wants to stay on tour. Right now she can only win by overpowering people and that is becoming harder all the time. The only positive I saw from her this tournament is that she has kept the double faults under control. But she needs to make more first serves and make sure she goes for them. Also on the backhand side she really really needs to start slicing when she is pulled off the court. At the moment every time someone pulls her wide she is going for an extremely low percentage down the line backhand because she is too scared of hitting it back cross court. If she had a good slice she could just go back crosscourt and she would have more time to recover and restart the point. Her problem against the big hitters is time. They just don’t give her any.

The injuries just won’t go away but I don’t think this one is that serious. Hopefully it was just a precautionary retirement and she will go full blaze at the AO. But she should be more worried about her game, she needs to tweak it because half of the players she is going to face either hit the ball bigger than her or as big as her. The drop shot is not enough. There needs to be more variety.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Interestingly, it's not a strain or pulled up muscle, from what she says, but might be inflammation, since she felt 'burn'.

Was expecting strain, since she came back to the competition after long time and might just have pulled something due overload, like Nadal. But this doesn't seem to be the case.

If so, then AO is still in range. And frankly, I don't see the reason skipping it, if this is the case.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I am fan of Maria but at this point her tennis is not moving in right direction. How can it move if her body is not capable to play not even 3 full matches. I know she want to proof she is able to win big matches and tournaments but it's not happening and to be honest I don't believe it will. I am sorry to say it but Maria have to face reality. It's time to end career.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
I wouldn't be able to quite like this if I were Maria. I'm not sure I could.

She can only keep trying to get (and stay) healthy and hope it will all come together, even if just for a couple of weeks.
That's all she needs, really.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
skip what? her body fails anyway after few matches and entire off season, plus the ranking will go down getting bad draws since the first rounds, it's a vicious circle.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
It's the first time I've suggested it you fucking weirdo.
So what? Do I have to check your previous posts to see whether that's your first, or second, or 100th time before calling it bullshit?

BTW, since you called me a "fucking weirdo": Are you the one who had a conspiracy theory that Pova tried to shift the public attention from herself to Nadal's doping rumors after the meldonium news broke out? I remember I debated someone - probably you - over that crazy theory here but I can't find the posts because the search engine of this forum became very ineffective recently.

·
Registered
570 Posts
To be quite honest seeded or not is not really important in her case. There are so many dangerous floaters within the draw that can be as competitive. Her tennis needs to improve to be able to rise to the occasion. That is the only way.

·
SharaFamily
21,160 Posts
Reread it 20x time but can anyone explain me the last sentence? Is she has shoulder injury now ?

Maria at her press conference: "The season is still very long, I must maintain a positive attitude! Health has always been my favorite thing. In my career, there has always been a huge mystery that I need to crack, that's a shoulder injury.

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
She will be seeded for AO, but I don't think it's that important. The depth in women's tennis is so good nowadays. Wish she could face someone like Cornet, Saisai Zheng or Flipkens in early rounds instead of Anisimova or Yastremska.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts