Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Masha's play is just disappointing. It looks like her high time is over. She probably will have to leave tonight tonight for Australia. But what can we expect from her there? Does she might suffer too hard from her shoulder injury? Anyway, we wish her the very best. She has been a shining light for us.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is not just the shoulder tonight.
Yes, there is more to it. She's on a medical timeout. Never mind she loses this match. But it is to hope that she doesn't have to cancel her attendance at the AO and she can compete there without the difficulties she's experiencing here in the cold Shenzhen.
Sabalenka looks upbeat, understandable.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
It's so frustrating. It's only her 3rd match of year and now there's problems with her legs?

She tried tho. In the 2nd set she was fighting and being more aggressive. But still not enough. So many backhand errors. Like 4 terrible dropshots in the middle of the court probably cuz she was tired.
Get better Maria.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That really wasn't fun to watch. You could tell that had she faced a lower ranked player she may have pulled the second set back.

It's another setback for Maria, it's so sad how her body isn't holding up. I think we will see her in Australia though.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Every tournament a new body part seems to fail her.
How depressing.

If Maria hasn't recovered when the AO starts she might as well skip the rest of the HC swing.
Maybe, through some miracle, she'll be healthy in time for the clay season.

·
Registered
961 Posts
With all of her injuries and "glassmade" body she shouldn't play any warm up tournament before AO, and even if she decides to play one, Shenzhen should be her last choice....

Could someone explain me how the hell she managed to injured herself after almost 4 months break during her 3rd match back?

She has a team around, a doctors, physio, no one can really do something? Or advice her better?

Why playing in Shenzhen not in a warm Australia?

Or like I said in the beginning, if you know your body is falling apart, just show up at AO and give it all there. Save your body and play only during the biggest events.

Maybe I'm just bitter today I don't know.

I love her and support her no matter what but she seriously needs to consider once again her career choices.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
She had chances to make the match more competitive, but then she wasted 7 of 8 break points she had. Her low BP conversion rate made a lot of matches significantly harder since comeback. Sabalenka is the kind of player she could handle in her better years. She would have converted more BPs, dragging the match to the point where the hard-hitter over the net begins to lose momentum and destroy herself with UEs, eventually winning the match by being more consistent. Now she doesn't have the capacity or fitness to implement that strategy.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I feel like Maria never gets injuries that only last a couple of days or a week, so not too hopeful about the AO now whether she competes or not.

·
Premium Member
27,163 Posts
It feels like the end is nye...and would u blame her. I wouldn’t want her to carry on like this for much longer.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Oh God, this is so depressing. She cannot finish even small tournament without getting injured. Her body is so fragile so she cannot even gain some confidence and matches. Hopefully we will see her in Melbourne but I have no high expectations, probably exit in the first or second round. :sad:

This is clearly her last season.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
She was indefatigable in her confidence in her drop shots.
At first, it looked like she simply had not enough talent to battle her opponent.....almost like it was Serena Williams.
Then, she was down in the second set immediately 0-30, and won the game. And there did not seem to be much
difference between them for a while.....if she could have won just one of all those break points.....the momentum would
seem to have changed....but the idea of her playing a third set seemed scary.
It looked like both players were just practicing, with the overall attitude of wtf are we doing in this miserable place....what
good is it doing either of us.
That was one of the best streams I have ever seen on my computer, which I was about to discard because the technician
could offer no explanation other than it works if you plug it into a monitor. (I bought a used one for 3 dollars at a place called Goodwill). It seems to have fixed itself....even the sound. No monitor needed, just help figuring out all my passwords.

I watched somebody ferociously massaging her legs to get her ready for one of her last couple of games, and thought.....good gig.
Her legs look as good as ever, if maybe slightly thinner than I think is best.

I was maybe just glad to see her. Not all that concerned about how physically fit she is. It will be whatever it will be. Australia is nice this time of year.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts