Tennis Forum banner

"She doesn't have a lot of power"

• Agree. The players are the best authority for who hits how hard

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • Disagree. WHat the hell does Vakulenko know?

Votes: 11 25.0%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That's right after Vakulenko forced Dani to a 2nd set tie-breaker after getting bageled. Point is, that's a pretty authoritative source, one of the players, and one who just had made a pretty successful strategic change. And it jibes with Dani's (relatively) poor performance this year.

So, do you feel Vakulenko is right? Or should we believe our own lying eyes?

And is Dani now going to see a lot of junk-ballin' comin' her way?

· Registered
8,954 Posts
i'll need to see her play again. i saw her play at all the grand slams this year but didn't see her much last year. when i was watching her this year i thought that she had lost some power but since i didn't see her much last year i find it difficult to judge her.

· Registered
8,954 Posts
i agree that the players are the best authority for who hits how hard but i think it takes more than one player to make that judgement.

· Premium Member
10,632 Posts
how did julia play?> i read dani complainiong in her interview that she hadnt seen that type of play since she played juniors coming from 12 yr olds.:eek:...

· Adrenaline junkie
24,904 Posts
Gowza said:
i agree that the players are the best authority for who hits how hard but i think it takes more than one player to make that judgement.
Yes, and the opinion of a player who just lost the match about her opponent should not be even taken seriously.

· Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ys said:
Yes, and the opinion of a player who just lost the match about her opponent should not be even taken seriously.
ys - If a player loses a first set bagel, and then takes the next set to tie-breaker, their opinion of what went on during the match is DEFINITELY to be taken seriously.

See this thread for a description of the match.

· NeverWoz
25,696 Posts
Daniela's power did not win her this match. Julia making shit errors in the first, and missing moonballs in the second did her in. Of course her opinion is to be taken seriously, she DID just play Daniela. I agree with her too. Daniela's strokes don't have any of the pop, power, or depth that they did last year.

· Registered
689 Posts
Dani is not the same player as last year- she couldn't deal with valuenko's moonballs becuase she had no strenth or belief to go for that winner- she can't generate her own pace and looks decent when given pace- howver the inability to generate her own pace is quite evident compared to last year...
The girl looks ill and is- she nearly burst into tears when she could not hit a decent against vulenko's moonballs at matchpoint, she was trying but her shots had no wait or dept..

She's lucky she got away with closing that match out in 2- she would have lost in 3 just becuase the manner in which valuneko saved that matchpoint at 4-5 was something that 12 year would not have let her get away with!

· Registered
17,738 Posts
Well she hits hard sometimes, but at the momment those one arent finding the court.

· Banned
9,138 Posts
well, I was there yesterday to see that match and I left after Julia called the trainer because she was playing shite...If it was a formidable opponent from the beginning, Dani would have been outta there and yeah, compared to watching Kim yesterday (awesome), Dani was not hitting with a lot of power...I was surprised to look up while watching the Federer or Kim match and see that it was tied in the 2nd set. And btw- she doesn't look as bad as she does in those stilll photos but still very skinny and i really don't see what the hoopla is about her looks...oh, forgot, she's blonde :wavey:

· Banned
86 Posts
Daniela isn't as powerful as she was last year... but she still hits a hard ball. Harder than Julia.

I think it's more that Julia lost a match that she was sooo close to winning. Julia had her in that tiebreak, and she played a perfect strategy, but just made a few stupid errors. If Julia won that TB, it was OVER for Daniela.

I think it's a little frustration of Julia's part... and a little truth that Daniela has lost power, and that she's not as powerful as other Top 10 players (which Daniela FINALLY won't be after US Open.)

· Registered
689 Posts
Beat said:
...but is it a negative thing to say???? ;)
well i thing it is especially when you consider the decrease in the weight of her shot is probably connected the wieght loss of her body..
Her results have been poor and if this how she has been playing it aint no surprise- there is nothing that she posses that the other girls in the top30 don't- she did last year- that backahnd could hit most players of court- not anymore....

· Registered
955 Posts
Dani didnt hit hard AT ALL....in that second set tie break she just guided the ball, the moonballs that Julia hit I thought Dani would hit them with some authority but she def. does not look confident at all.....I think she will fall in next roound to Tammy

Vakulenko did so Well of moonballing Dani :)

hehe

· Banned
9,138 Posts
Ray of Sunshine said:
Daniela was hitting hard for most of the match though... in the tiebreak, she started guiding the ball, and losing it mentally.

I was on the court- she was NOT hitting the ball that hard- and power isn't everythinn anyway- she had some hard shots here and there but...as I said before, if she was playing someone who wasn't playing like shit in the first set, she would have been gone- for sure she can not compete with the top players right now, playing like she is...i also thought she would have crack a la Ashley H. match but she kept it together- barely. My friend, a man- called it powder puff tennis :eek: he couldn't watch it!! he didn't say that about the Kim- Laura match ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.