Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine predicts...

"The tennis world now has a WHITE princess they can dote on, so that's the end of the Williams sisters. You know what I mean? Watch how the endorsements will start rolling in for Sharapova. What Anna K. made
in endorsements will look like nothing compared to what they will pay this one
even if she never wins another tournament. That's Madison Avenue for you..."

i think he's right.

what do you think?

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Code:
tennischick said:
a friend of mine predicts...

"The tennis world now has a WHITE princess they can dote on, so that's the end of the Williams sisters. You know what I mean? Watch how the endorsements will start rolling in for Sharapova. What Anna K. made
in endorsements will look like nothing compared to what they will pay this one
even if she never wins another tournament. That's Madison Avenue for you..."

i think he's right.

what do you think?
No offense, but your friend is an idiot. The highest paying endorsements in the US mostly go to black athletes. Just because Maria may get endorsement deals doesn't mean the "end" of the Williams sisters as long as they keep playing tennis.
And why shouldn't Maria get endorsements? Cause she's a blonde white girl?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
My family, my partner and some of my friends no nothing about tennis but they all know who the williams sisters are and Anna K but would still not know who Sharapova is. So I do not think it is a black and white thing as some people try to make out.

It is more about results and personality and in Anna k case looks.

Serena and Venus have always been high profile and got a lot of media attention before they even joined the tour, as people like their story, where they came from, the fact they where sisters and they where the next big thing.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Anna K. is known more as a sex symbol now, and not a tennis player. The companies that have deals with her (or are looking) don't care that she was a tennis player. They just want to make $$$ off of her looks.

Maria seems to be more jock than model, and a relunctant sex symbol, in the Daniela mode...

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes he is. truth be told. does that automaticlly make him wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
identifiable? :confused:

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
TC, you're friend might be right. But tennis players don't make the huge endorsement money they used to. The big sneaker companies hardly pay tennis players anymore to wear their apparel and sneakers. I just can't see Masha making the 20 million U.S. dollars a year Anna Kournikova did in her endorsement earning prime. Masha will be incredibly wealthy after winning Wimbledon. She will make alot of money in endorsements and exhibitions. I just hope all that money doesn't hurt Sharapova's desire to win and compete.

·
49,001 Posts
mboyle said:
just a guess: Your friend is black, right?
I personally would have gone with "Your friend is a minority," not "your friend is black...."

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
A lot of the estimates of what Maria will earn from endorsements are wild exaggerations, and being torn out of the air.

To make stratospheric money, or even to equal the Williams, Maria will have to keep winning big tournaments and remain a major public figure. There has been a big reaction around the world to her win, but she has to prove she is more than a flash in the pan to get the big endorsements.

She is an attractive, intelligent figure, and that increases her value, but she has a lot of expenses to cover, and seems to be tied into a probably expensive deal with a big agency company that will require her to earn heavily.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Well said Doc.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
I highly doubt she will make more than Anna or the Williams sisters in the endorsement department. Heck she probably won't even surpass all the amount of money Hingis made from them.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Doc is correct; an aritcle in the Money section of CNN.com stated that Maria will have to win more to prove that she is worth the risk on endorsing. Right now, the only big title she has is Wimbledon; if she gets big endorsement deals right now and fails to win another title within the next year, those sponsors will look foolish. Right now, they are taking a wait-and-see attitude.

There is no doubt that she will earn more than the Williams sisters mainly because of her color, but for now, the sisters and Anna rule in the endorsement department and Serena outearns her sister and Anna.

Just remember the last two big names with big endorsement deals who failed to win titles or big titles; Jennifer as a teen and Anna.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Someone on the Today show said that because of her Wimbledon win Sharapova will rake in $100 million in endorsements in the next year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.