1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
54,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.********************/

Sharapova Out of Miami;
Targets Rome Return

FROM THE BNP PARIBAS OPEN IN INDIAN WELLS, MARCH 17 - Former No. 1 Maria Sharapova pulled out of next week’s Sony Ericsson Open in Miami on Wednesday and is targeting a return on clay at Rome at the beginning of May, ******************** has learned. After going to Miami on Tuesday do sponsor visits, media and attend the player party, Sharapova will head to Phoenix, where she spent part of fall recovering from shoulder surgery, to continue her training.

While Sharapova competed at doubles at Indian Wells where she and Elena Vesnina lost a first round match, she finds that getting practice court time at Miami is more difficult and fells that she’d be better off continuing her rehab and training in Phoenix, which is why she chose not to play doubles in Florida. Her shoulder is said to be progressing nicely and she was pleased that at Indian Wells, she was able to hit fairly high service speeds.

Three-time Grand Slam champion Sharapova, who has said that she won’t be comfortable returning in singles until she can contest two of three set matches for a minimum of seven days in a row, is also planning on competing at the new tournament in Madrid the week after Rome, and at Roland Garros.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
Not sure I'd like Sharapova to go to clay for less than a month and then extend herself to grass and hard. It depends on the health of the shoulder. If she is 100%, clay will give her the opportunity to strengthen and hit extra balls. If she has any weakness whatsoever, just wait for Birmingham.

·
Most Loved Member
11,182 Posts
We'll see. I hope she comes back soon.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
i hope, but i am not getting my hopes up.
in reality, she should probably skip clay (which her game is not suited for anyways) and come back on grass.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
If she's sure she's fit then no way should she skip Roland Garros. It's a slam for goodness sake, and even with just one or two tournaments on clay under her belt she could still win it. There is no favourite this year, no dominant clay force, and a player with Sharapova's class is up there on any surface.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Hmm, I thought she wasn't setting timetables for herself, I wonder if Eisenbud told the press about these plans.

It's not suprising she wouldn't go defend her title at Ponte Vedra Beach no matter what form she's in. Birmingham has been one of her favourite tournaments ever and I think she wants to go there :)

Isn't this Birmingham's last year :tears: ?

·
Registered
29,563 Posts
On clay? :eek:
I was almost sure Maria would wait until Birmingham at least. At least then she would be playing on consecutive favoured surfaces (Grass & Hard). Weird decision, I don't have much faith in it, though.

·
Banned
48,006 Posts
i expect she was hungry to comeback.Well do well in Rome:devil:

·
Rena's Army
35,196 Posts
If she's sure she's fit then no way should she skip Roland Garros. It's a slam for goodness sake, and even with just one or two tournaments on clay under her belt she could still win it. There is no favourite this year, no dominant clay force, and a player with Sharapova's class is up there on any surface.
if that's the logic to use then she shouldn't have missed AO, a surface that would have favoured her more than clay does...:shrug: she shouldn't come back because there is no "dominant force", she should come back when she is 100% and the shoulder doesn't hurt after 2 weeks of play...if not she would set herself up for this sort of extended absences from the tour for the rest of her career...

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
if that's the logic to use then she shouldn't have missed AO, a surface that would have favoured her more than clay does...:shrug: she shouldn't come back because there is no "dominant force", she should come back when she is 100% and the shoulder doesn't hurt after 2 weeks of play...if not she would set herself up for this sort of extended absences from the tour for the rest of her career...
Miss all the time you need at the front end to save time at the back end.

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
I'm not understanding that part about the practice courts? Why would she have to practice at the facility and not near by? :scratch:

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
I don't think she'll come back in Rome, a tier 1 red clay event

Birmingham is more realistic

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Hmm, I thought she wasn't setting timetables for herself, I wonder if Eisenbud told the press about these plans.

It's not suprising she wouldn't go defend her title at Ponte Vedra Beach no matter what form she's in. Birmingham has been one of her favourite tournaments ever and I think she wants to go there :)

Isn't this Birmingham's last year :tears: ?
Not setting timetables was a direct quote you could hear Maria say.

This reporter, who was way off the mark in December, "has learned" she is targeting Rome.

I think Maria will still decide based on medical factors---but I do not like the idea of someone sending out contradictory information.

Maria--as elusive as she has been, lately, is still the only source I trust. I saw the videos of her practicing---I believed what I saw. I saw her show up to play a doubles match---I believed the photos.

If she shows up at Rome, or she says I feel good 7 days in a row, or whatever--I will believe her.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I'm not understanding that part about the practice courts? Why would she have to practice at the facility and not near by? :scratch:
Exactly, like the Miami Stadium is the only place that has tennis courts. And why back to Phoenix when she lives in California? I find it curious that she would still need to be in Phoenix for rehab. That shoulder must not have felt so well after that doubles match.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts