Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Re: Sharapova OUT of Stuttgart( Stephens,Svitolina , Cibi and Collins too)

Only Vika left to rush long distances to fight jet-lag and compete. Interesting.

·
Banned
2,412 Posts
I knew it already back in March so not really a surprise at all. Sure some people are elated their faves might actually have a chance to win this year bc we know Sharapova is always the favorite or the villain.

·
Banned
2,412 Posts
She is recovering from a surgery so it's actually quite expected. She said she was doubtful about a Stuttgart comeback at least a month ago as well. I think she will skip Madrid and Rome as well and just play in Strasbourg and Paris. If she skips both, she will be out of the top 50.
Lol. Sharapova wouldn't be caught dead at Strasbourg. However, you can bet your house she will be ready for RG. Madrid and Rome...not a big priority right now but she seems to be ready to play by Rome. Ranking? Not a big priority...any rank can win anything. For Sharapova, winning a grand slam and also her health is the MO and always has been. She has 900+ points...1 point in Stuttgart (seriously), a hundred or two for QF in Madrid, a few hundred for Rome SF and her biggest chunk is RG which she will be defending QF points for sure.

She is still one of the best on clay...she lost on clay to Garcia (gifted that one), Bertens (ran out of gas), Halep (fought hard but was spent) and of course the Muguruza loss which Sharapova was just not herself in that match. Not bad to lose on clay to any of those players.

If she says she is not quite ready to slay, then she isn't ready...but as someone who follows her IG stories, I know she is getting there and looks fitter than I think she ever has been. In fact, when she announced this, she was on a beach working on her footwork and swinging a medicine ball at full force.

·
Banned
17,826 Posts

Poor thing.

·
Premium Member
38,703 Posts

"not ready to compete at the highest level"? so i guess this means she's never coming back.
That "all or nothing" approach is what destroys a tennis player. The notion of "work in progress" is essential for the sport, including health and body. High competition is something, but you have to work through, with humbleness - and if possible, sparing tennis lovers those unbearable screams expressing your "high standards". :eek:h:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts

I knew it already back in March so not really a surprise at all. Sure some people are elated their faves might actually have a chance to win this year bc we know Sharapova is always the favorite or the villain.
Those days are gone. You should be thankful when she manages to finish the tournament healthy which seems to be a tough task recently.

·
Stanning for Andi
20,731 Posts

I must admit I thought she had already pulled out. Her body just seems to be failing her.

·
Registered
15,246 Posts

Maria already once tried to do Roland Garros-Wimbledon-US Open combo without playing any other tournaments in between. If she did that in (2013?), it won't be surprising if she does so in the last or penultimate season of her career. Her body can't keep up anymore, she's going for all or nothing in the next few slams.

·
Registered
17,863 Posts

Why my post was deleted?
I'm a Masha fan and I said that she will be back stronger than ever.

·
Banned
2,412 Posts
Those days are gone. You should be thankful when she manages to finish the tournament healthy which seems to be a tough task recently.
Oh the irony, coming from a Vika fan. That is so hypocritical, I can't even respond except to LOL. Hopefully she isnt extremely injured this year. Without Maria there to drag her ass around, she miiiiiight make the round of 16.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts

Maria has had ongoing shoulder problems since 2005. She had minor shoulder surgery in Feb. and is trying to let it heal thoroughly and completely this time, which is exactly what she should do. I hope to see her back in a month or two.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts

With Sharapova out of Madrid there is now a decent Chance she will be Unseeded at RG.

I'd love to see a Sharapova vs Halep 1st Round Match like 2017 US Open :devil:

And then good MaSha will put that Romanian Girl finally out of business.

21 - 40 of 152 Posts