Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the WTA releases its rankings on Tuesday morning, Maria Sharapova will move into the #3 spot in the WTA rankings.

For a 17 year old, that's quite an amazing feat.

Barring injury, there's really nothing stopping her from moving into the #2 slot soon.

How long do you think it will take Maria Sharapova to become number one. Its inevitable.

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
This "only 17" thing is ridiculous. I agree it is amazing what she has done so far even at an early age. Seles, Graf, Hingis, etc. all had great records when they were "only 17", and some are already touting Sharapova as one of the future greats. This should be expected, she is a great player, and once April comes she will no longer "be 17"

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Julia1968 said:
Barring injury, there's really nothing stopping her from moving into the #2 slot soon.
:lol:

Actually their is a pretty major
something standing
in her way! ;)

Serena! :)

·
Registered
13,415 Posts
steffi, monica and martina didn't have age restrictions and i think maria will be no1 in the world very soon... ;) :yeah:

·
Banned
137 Posts
After Miami she will be number 1 in the world.
The best story for the headline will be for Maria to beat 4 time chapion Serena in the final to become number one in the world. It will be the perfect rankning for her to start clay, her worst surface, season.

·
Banned
9,423 Posts
Serena Williams was #4 at 17...

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
jj74 said:
Yes, but Seles, Graf and Hingis doesn't have age restrictions when they started to play tennis
Don't even get me started on AER. The AER excuse used by Sharapova fans is the most bullshit excuse out there. Sharapova has played more tournaments than anyone else in the top 5, and apart from Dementieva anyone else in the top 10. She is not limited by AER, at all.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Can we just let go of the fact that Maria is young?

Jennifer was 15 when she was winning titles. Look where she was 5 years later...

The true test to Maria's talent and future will be if she can win another Wimbledon at 20. I think Maria has a great game and she is very talented, but her fans need to let her age go, because many greats and non-greats were 17 at one time.

And the people who are saying that Martina, Jennifer, Monica, whatever, didn't have age restrictions, it should be benefiting Maria, so she doesn't get burned out. I think if Jennifer had it, she would have done much better in her career, so I look at it as an advantage.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Maria = Russian #1

I'm sure the #1 ranking for the Russians will change over the coming months when their respective grand slam points fall off.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Missing_Hingis said:
After Miami she will be number 1 in the world.
The best story for the headline will be for Maria to beat 4 time chapion Serena in the final to become number one in the world. It will be the perfect rankning for her to start clay, her worst surface, season.
First off, learn how to spell CHAMPION. Second...Serena Williams is the 3 time champion (2002, 2003, 2004). Learn your facts.

·
Veelieve!!!
32,924 Posts
Andrew. said:
Don't even get me started on AER. The AER excuse used by Sharapova fans is the most bullshit excuse out there. Sharapova has played more tournaments than anyone else in the top 5, and apart from Dementieva anyone else in the top 10. She is not limited by AER, at all.
Exactly Andrew.. Have you looked at her schedule? She's pulling a Hingis and overloading her plate with tournaments. I think this strategy is, having seen how closely grouped all the top players are, is to kick her to #1 any way as soon as possible .I also think this is super-dangerous territory because she could easily suffer an injury (which is inevitable). It happens to ALL the players at the most inoppotune time :tape:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Kabuke said:
:lol:

Actually their is a pretty major
something standing
in her way! ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
well maybe Julia has already forecast that the "major something" would move to the number 1 spot by then .... ;)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Infiniti2001 said:
Exactly Andrew.. Have you looked at her schedule? She's pulling a Hingis and overloading her plate with tournaments. I think this strategy is, having seen how closely grouped all the top players are, is to kick her to #1 any way as soon as possible .I also think this is super-dangerous territory because she could easily suffer an injury (which is inevitable). It happens to ALL the players at the most inoppotune time :tape:
I also think she has a schedule overload. I don't know why people are saying she has age restrictions, from beginning of last year to now, she has played 20 tournaments and on the draw for her 21st. She's playing so well lately, I don't think it's healthy. For some lesser player who does not make it to far in the draw, that schedule is understandable, but for a player of Maria's calibre, it's a no-no. I think the money has gotten to her dad head, and he really wants her to be #1 to milk it some more, but the price she'll pay later will not be pretty! Ask all the top players what a schedule overload can do to the body.

Reactions: Infiniti2001

·
Banned
137 Posts
Andrew. said:
You obviously dont know much about AER.
If it's not for the AER, Kim Clijsters would have been number much earlier.
Justine Henin-Hardenne would also have won a slam much earlier.
WTA Tour just recently started to open the rules up, it's too limiting.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
RenaSlam588 said:
This "only 17" thing is ridiculous. I agree it is amazing what she has done so far even at an early age. Seles, Graf, Hingis, etc. all had great records when they were "only 17", and some are already touting Sharapova as one of the future greats. This should be expected, she is a great player, and once April comes she will no longer "be 17"
I don't think Sharapova or her fans use her age to mean "I'm 17 and look what I've won!" Maria is SEVENTEEN, that's young, period. She knows she has plenty of time to accomplish her goals. She is not too disappointed when she loses because she knows she will get better in the near future if she works hard, which she does. I don't think anyone is saying Maria is one of the youngest overachievers like Hingis and Seles, because they accomplished more at 16.

But you're right, once April comes Maria will no longer be 17. And I'm pretty sure 18 will be her best year yet!:D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.