Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know every player is their own person, but comparisons are inevitable.....

while I watched her play the final, I was reminded of monica seles, particulary the first slam monica won against graf.

Something about the attitude, the relentless power, the fearlessness, the way she kept going for the lines under pressure, the shriek, the hype, the teen attitude and giggle afterwards.

The game is similar, but not the same, I know, but its an interesting comparison. maria comes bigger serve and better running speed, monica had more angles.

:) :)

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
arcus said:
I know every player is their onw person, but comparisons are inevitable.....

while I watched her play the final, I was reminded of monica seles, particulary the first slam monica won against graf.

Something about the attitude, the relentless power, the fearlessness, the way she kept going for the lines under pressure, the shriek, the hype, the teen attitude and giggle afterwards.

The game is similar, but not the same, I know, but its an interesting comparison. maria comes bigger serve and better running speed, monica had more angles.

:) :)
Relentless power? I've seen Monica, Steffi and the sisters hit harder than her and at 17.

See this thread for the real comparison: http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=122679

:angel:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate that she may not be the hardest hitter, but it was interesting in the final, that she had serena on the back foot so often, off balance, the way serena normally does to her opponents. there were moment where serena looked perplexed, almost panicked.

Sharapova does hit hard, and its all about technique. Its no surprise that she has been coached by Robert Lansdorf, who helped sampras and davenport hit so well.
She does not have the physical strength of serena, but her timing and racket head acceleration amazed me. Thats where her power comes from, and it could get better. we'll see......

·
Banned
100 Posts
I think marias strengths are just going to get more and more, ive said so many time, Maaria is the future...shes gonna clean house, we'll see though, we will just see how this happens...but id bet moneyt that in the long run, where gonna see Marias name on all the grans slam trophies...maybe even consecutively.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
No no no.. :p MONICA 2.0 will be coming back THIS SUMMER :devil: :hearts: :bounce: :bounce: :worship:

·
Don't mess with Texas!
5,728 Posts
FraziersFan said:
No no no.. :p MONICA 2.0 will be coming back THIS SUMMER :devil: :hearts: :bounce: :bounce: :worship:
:worship:

·
Banned
100 Posts
since when did this become a monica thread? i doubt shes coming back tho...we will see tho.

·
Registered
287 Posts
NINAdiva said:
since when did this become a monica thread? i doubt shes coming back tho...we will see tho.
Monica Seles will try to play in the World Team Tennis thing. I don't remember what exactly it's called. She said somewhere that if her feet would hold up well after playing that World Team thing then she will play at the Pilot Pen and might as well play US Open. :wavey:

·
Banned
100 Posts
wow, did she? good for her, best of luck.

i have no further coment. NINA out.

·
Don't mess with Texas!
5,728 Posts
nate_my_love said:
I know that this is random.
But, who is the person in your Avartarr?
Is that you or a Gennie in a bottle?
:wavey:
It is Michelle Kwan a figure skater.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Jon wertheim writes...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/jon_wertheim/07/05/wimbledon.wrap/index.html

"That Sharapova can bludgeon the ball was no revelation. That she can summon her best tennis down 2-4 in the second set of the Wimbledon final was stunning. Can anyone else recall a fearless Monica Seles taking on the theretofore indomitable Steffi Graf as he watched Sharapova play unflinching tennis against Serena Williams?"

Its scary when jon wertheim is the only person who apparently saw what I saw............... [plz see original post in thread]

·
Banned
53 Posts
SpikeyAidanm said:
Actually Sprem reminds me of Seles...
She does remind of Seles too. But Maria Sharapova's ability to win a Grand Slam at such a young age against the best player in the game is very remarkable....very very Monica... :fiery:

·
Registered
53 Posts
The kind of raw power tennis that Sharapova deployed is one of the few ways that Serena can be beaten. In fact, the last time that Serena lost that badly was probably back in 2000, when she lost to Pierce 6-2 6-2 (if I recall the score correctly), and Pierce did the same thing to her then. Of course, Serena is a different player now than she was in 2000, which makes Sharapova's victory all the more impressive.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SpikeyAidanm said:
Actually Sprem reminds me of Seles...
i thought that too, with the backhands down the line.
but sharapova beating a defending champ the way she did is very monica...........

Perosnally id like to see monica 1.0 back, although i'm afraid it aint going to be, even with al the talk of a come back.......

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I don't see how Maria can be compared to Monica, yes, they both won a GS young, yes, they both have a great determination, yes they are both great players (well, Monica is/was, Maria is starting). but please, that can be say about many players.

Maria is nothing like Monica, in any case, she reminds me more of Davenport with a better mobility, but not Monica.

to start with, the most obvious, Monica is double-handed both sides.

Monica's serve wasn't that great, Maria's is.

Monica's return game was a lot better.

Monica covered the court thanks to her anticipation, unparalel in women's tennis with the possible exception of Hingis, Maria is more great reach.

Monica's best surface is clay, Maria's worst surface is clay

Monica's worst surface is grass, Maria's best surface is grass.

hmmm, no, although the comparisson to Arantxa was way more off.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I dunno if this relates directly but I found it interesting anyway. During the final, I remembered watching the Monica-Serena match at the US Open in 1999 (QF/4th round maybe?). Serena played spectacularly in that match which had Mary Carillo saying: "there was a time when only Monica Seles could hit shots like that". Last Saturday, watching Maria Sharapova I was thinking "there was a time when only Serena Williams could hit shots like that" :eek:

·
Banned
53 Posts
arcus said:
i thought that too, with the backhands down the line.
but sharapova beating a defending champ the way she did is very monica...........

Perosnally id like to see monica 1.0 back, although i'm afraid it aint going to be, even with al the talk of a come back.......
Hopefully, Monica Seles can have one last great run and end her career......ay it all began in 1990......winning a Grand Slam. Because the world of tennis owes her that much.

Monica has trained so hard over the past year. This is the fittest and slimmest we have seen her since that stabbing in Hamburg. Looking at her very recent pictures can tell all that. :fiery:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts