Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
goldenlox said:
The question is: will the distractions affect her game?
With Anna, I think it took a number of years before it seemed that she'd got distracted.

·
Registered
113,409 Posts
Anna has shown over the years that she loves the heat of celebrity.
You see it in who she dates, how she handles herself. She thrives on the hot seat.
And her game still stalled. And look at Hantuchova, who didn't handle things as well.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
goldenlox said:
And look at Hantuchova, who didn't handle things as well.
Maybe she isn't metally very strong?

·
Registered
113,409 Posts
I think Anna is very, very strong mentally. And she loves the attention. Good and bad.
Maria hasn't dealt with anything yet.
2003 was the honeymoon.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Yes, it was just the very beginning for Masha.

·
Banned
338 Posts
MaSharapovaFan said:
Yes, the only thing we can do is hoping. And the rest is totally up to Masha herself and the people around her.
The people around her aren't really helping much...

There's no need for her to be joining some modeling thing at 16.

In the end, it will be all up to her. But, it's going to really test Maria.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Well said, Sharky. And there are good points made by all. I'm hoping Maria's discipline will keep her focused on tennis.

·
Registered
113,409 Posts
The hype makes it more fun to discuss and speculate.
But so far, it's all minor league.
You watch the deals Anna makes the next couple of years. She's just starting. Octagon is looking long term.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
GL, Anna doesn't need to make anymore deals. She needs to start playing WTA tournaments again. As far as Maria Sharapova goes, Maria is going to have plenty of WTA titles and plenty of multi million dollar deals. :D

·
Registered
113,409 Posts
I see Jessica Simpson getting an ABC show. Paris Hilton a Fox show.
Hollywood wants famous, pretty blondes who can't act.
Anna is in a great situation. And she still can get huge sports marketing deals like XBOX and sports bras.
Maria is far, far away from a big endorsement deal. As far away as Hantuchova.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
the cat said:
As far as Maria Sharapova goes, Maria is going to have plenty of WTA titles.
I don't really like to have expectations and predictions in advance.

·
Registered
113,409 Posts
Hollywood wants Anna. And when Anna came into tennis, the timing was perfect.
We'll never see a another woman athlete on the SI cover because she's pretty.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I think Masha needs people who would talk to her openly, honestly and objectively. Someone who can give her a frank feedback that the way she handled The Late Late Show wasn't good and so on.

Doubtless, the cat is a great fan of Masha. But it seems to me that he always says nice things about Masha, there isn't critical and constructive feedback.

·
Banned
338 Posts
MaSharapovaFan said:
I think Masha needs people who would talk to her openly, honestly and objectively. Someone who can give her a frank feedback that the way she handled The Late Late Show wasn't good and so on.

Doubtless, the cat is a great fan of Masha. But it seems to me that he always says nice things about Masha, there isn't critical and constructive feedback.
It's hard to find people who are straightforward, and honest with others. I'm one of few who are like this. GL seems like another. It's a hard trait to find... and even harder when your seen as BIG $$$ like Maria is.

·
Registered
113,409 Posts
I think what Maria will face is the same thing all young talented players face.
It's hard to do what the great champions do. Almost impossible. If Masha can win majors and reach #1, she'll get plenty of big deals.
But the new Anna stuff just won't fly. Anna is still around. She's the proven name on Madison Avenue. If they don't get her, they want to pay much less.
Or get a great champion, like Serena.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
And even if there were straightforward and honest people around Masha, we can't be sure that she would listen to their honest advice. She might be arrogant, too proud of herself and so on, we never know.

·
Registered
113,409 Posts
Maria wants to win. Even if she walks the runway with Gisele, she still wants to win.
But when she's playing Venus or Kim, can she win?
Will she stay healthy and improve enough?
It's easy to say I have no doubt about beating Serena. Playing that kind of tennis is not easy.
The distractions take effect when it's hot and you couldn't close out the second set. Will you fight your heart out in the third set? You know there's another tournament next week. Very few can do it.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
goldenlox said:
Playing that kind of tennis is not easy.
- Yes, goldenlox, you're absolutely right.

the cat said:
Reaching the top 20 level will be harder for Maria than reaching the top 50 level.
- the cat, it must be true.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
goldenlox said:
It was hard to judge this fall because Kim was the only top 50 player she faced.
goldenlox, Masha also played....#49 Granville at Quebec, and lost the first set to Granville 1-6.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts