Tennis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sharapova humiliated by Davenport

Latest results
Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova suffered the most embarrassing defeat of her career on Friday in failing to win a game against Lindsay Davenport.
The Russian, who had been closing in on Davenport's world number one spot, was thrashed 6-0 6-0 in the semi-finals of the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells.

Davenport won the first set in 19 minutes and took 52 of 75 total points.

The top seed goes on to face Kim Clijsters, who beat fourth seed Elena Dementieva 6-4 6-2.

Sharapova said the gusting wind was a factor, but she did not use that as an excuse.

This is the happiest I have been to be in the final

Kim Clijsters

"There are days when I go out on the court and I feel like I can't miss a ball," said Sharapova.

"Today was just one of those days when you're playing terrible and she's just hitting every single ball as hard as she can, on the line."

Davenport said: "It was kind of a weird sensation, an odd position to be in, to win a match against such a good player and not have lost a game."

Clijsters, playing in only her second tournament back since a wrist injury, beat in the first semi-final.

Dementieva took a timeout for a hip flexor injury in the second set and returned with her right thigh strapped, before double-faulting on match point.

"This is the happiest I have been to be in the final," said Clijsters, who won the title in 2003.

"In 2003 it was great, but you don't know how much it means until you haven't had it for a while."

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Sometimes the media can get really carried away. You know they're going to have some fun with this match for sometime. I'm just glad it's not Serena they're picking on right now...

There should be a collection of headline titles:
"Sharapova humiliated by Davenport" ... Here's another I found:
Davenport Schools Sharapova To Reach Third Straight Indian Wells Final

By Tennis Week (.com)
Lindsay Davenport turned the court into a classroom today to teach a lesson in offensive oppression. The top-ranked Davenport schooled Maria Sharapova, 6-0, 6-0, in a 50-minute semifinal mismatch to advance to the Pacific Life Open final for the third consecutive year and sixth time in her career.

The match pitted two players at extreme opposite ends of the spectrum: a dominant Davenport delivered her best match in years, while Sharapova slumped in the worst defeat of her professional career.

Seizing command of rallies with a decisive first-strike attack, Davenport picked apart the Sharapova backhand with the punishing precision of a woman scraping off a scab to expose a wound. Perhaps unsettled by the early start time of the match — the women’s semifinal started early than anticipated due to Andre Agassi’s injury-induced withdrawal in the men’s quarterfinal — Sharapova never found her range or rhythm and spent her time between points staring at her strings or at her support box for answers that never came.

"She was giving me a few errors early on and it became a delicate mix of keeping (my shots) in and still trying to be aggressive," Davenport said. "It’s such an odd occurrence I felt like I played well and felt she didn’t pay well so it was a bad mix out there."

Davenport, who defeated Nathalie Dechy, 7-6, 6-0 in the quarterfinals, has won three straight sets at love and carry 19-game winning streak into Saturday’s final against Kim Clijsters. The unseeded Belgian continued her comeback from wrist surgery with a convincing 6-4, 6-2 victory over fourth-seeded Russian Elena Dementieva.

The Clijsters-Davenport match is a rematch of the 2003 final, which Clijsters won 6-4, 7-5. Clijsters’ quick court coverage and superior skill at hitting aggressive shots on the run has been the decided difference in her recent encounters with Davenport. Clijsters has beaten Davenport five times in a row, dropping only one set in that span, and owns an 8-6 career edge over the Laguna Beach resident.

"Kim has always been a really tough opponent for me to play," Davenport said. "I think it’s really great she’s come back so strong. She probably moves the best of any aggressive player we have. She gets a lot of balls back and at the same time tries to put me on the run."

The final may offer some sprints, but today’s semifinal saw Davenport simply steamroll Sharapova. It was Davenport’s first victory over the Wimbledon champion in three meetings and Sharapova’s first loss since she failed to convert three match points in succumbing to Serena Williams in the Australian Open semifinals.

Davenport surged to a 4-0 lead 12 minutes into the match. Sharapova hooked a forehand into the net as Davenport broke for the third time to take a 5-0 lead in the opening set. Reaching set point with an ace wide, Davenport collected the first set in 19 minutes on the strength of 12 winners against three unforced errors.

Over the course of the last two seasons, Davenport is 76-3 when she wins the first set.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
A day ago they were heralding Maria as the new #1 in tennis, and
last month gave the Belgians a funeral- so I wouldn't get too excited by
any of the crap the mindless bandwagoning, lame sports press prints.

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
It is quite obvious american media will talk rubbish about Maria. Lets hope Kim wins tomorrow and they keep quiet.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
I just watched the match, and honestly Maria was playing like she was on her period. However, Davenport was on fire and it's hard to beat her when she plays like that. So even if Sharapova was on her game she still would've had a difficult time.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
very surprising scoreline, and we were just talking about her being #1 this year and all tournament have been saying it's her tournament (well some have).

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
maybe she was on her period, who knows?

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Daniel said:
It is quite obvious american media will talk rubbish about Maria. Lets hope Kim wins tomorrow and they keep quiet.
more to add to the list:
"Sharapova humiliated by Davenport"- see above
"Davenport Schools Sharapova To Reach Third Straight Indian Wells Final- tennisweek.com
"Davenport Bagels Sharapova"- cbssportsline.com
"Davenport shuts out Sharapova"- espn.com
"Lindsay Davenport tore through Maria Sharapova with ease"- espn/tennis.com

The media can be worse than all the fans combined- what they say gets heard by thousands. They tell the non-tennis fans and casual fans stories with such negative twists- it happens to all our favorites. I'm glad my favorites have been getting good press lately. Don't get so worked up though, the stories aren't too bad, just the titles (you have to admit some are funny...)

·
Registered
6,158 Posts

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I can't help but feel terrible for Maria. I'm over-the-moon with Lindsay coming out as the winner today, but the humiliation Maria must've felt would be unimaginable, especially since the media were quick to herald her as the upcoming world #1 yet dismissed her just as quickly after this one loss.

If anything, I reckon Maria probably would've been more humiliated by the media, not her actual oncourt loss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.