Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharapova hailed as Russia's sports saviorBy JIM HEINTZ, Associated Press Writer
July 5, 2004

MOSCOW (AP) -- Russian newspapers on Monday hailed Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova as ``Queen of England'' and the savior of Russia's sports reputation after the soccer team's dismal showing at the European Championships.

Her Saturday defeat of Serena Williams was the prime front-page news in the newspaper Sovietsky Sport, with the Euro 2004 final between Greece and Portugal played small at the bottom despite Russia's intense interest in soccer.

``Ave Maria, Ole Russia,'' the headline intoned, invoking the soccer cheer that Russians had little chance to use this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
Sport-Ekspress gave the soccer story more text, but only below a 4-inch blare of boldface reading ``Sharapova.''

``The tennis player who has lived half of her 17 years in America, won Russia its first Wimbledon,'' the newspaper noted.

Sharapova moved to Florida from her Siberian birthplace, but that apparently hasn't discouraged Russians from regarding her as one of their own -- a new entry in Russia's long list of sports standouts.

The newspaper Moskovsky Komsomolets hinted at a revival of the political superpower status that vanished with the Soviet Union's collapse. A front-page headline punning on the similarity of the Russian words for ``missile'' and ``racket,'' referred to Sharapova as one of the ``Intercontinental rackets protecting the honor of Russia from its soccer players.''

This was Russia's second major tennis triumph in a month: Anastasia Myskina won the French Open in June, defeating countrywoman Elena Dementieva.

Komsomolskaya Pravda also played up the power angle, showing a photo of Sharapova shouting victoriously with an inset of Williams lying with a grimace on the grass court after lunging for one of the Russian's shots. ``Maria suggested Serena Williams take a rest for the next year,'' the photo caption read. Even the sober-sided government newspaper Rossiiskaya Gazeta gave Sharapova front-page attention, calling her victory ``a sensation.''
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,942 Posts
My, how desperate they are for winners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113,586 Posts
This article is bull. The French Open was a much bigger deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
lizchris said:
My, how desperate they are for winners.
And you sound bitter and pathetic.

Get over it already, Serena lost, big fuckin' deal. She'll win more majors. You're going around on this board acting like Serena will never win another major.


Tennis needs this, the women's game needs different winners. Not the same one over and over.

Go Venus at the US Open!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113,586 Posts
In Russia, the all Russian French Open final was a very big deal.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
39 Posts
tennisluver99 said:
The French Open is nothing compared to Wimbledon.
To many Europeans, the French Open holds equal or more value
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,942 Posts
tennisluver99 said:
And you sound bitter and pathetic.

Get over it already, Serena lost, big fuckin' deal. She'll win more majors. You're going around on this board acting like Serena will never win another major.


Tennis needs this, the women's game needs different winners. Not the same one over and over.

Go Venus at the US Open!!!!!
The onlyn thing pathetic is a country getting excited that two players in a crwod of aobut 500 finally winning a Slam. They are not Justine and Kim.

You need to speak to Jack Duckworth. He is the main one who said that Serena will never win another Slam, among others.

The game needs players who are good enough to win, regardless of if they are the same. I bet if the internet were around when Sfeffi was winning them all, you wouldn't complain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,533 Posts
lizchris said:
The onlyn thing pathetic is a country getting excited that two players in a crwod of aobut 500 finally winning a Slam. They are not Justine and Kim.
Code:
Liz, are you really so bitter about Serena losing that that you think Russia is "pathetic" for getting excited about Myskina winning the French Open and Sharapova winning Wimbledon? The two are Russia's first ladies grand slam winners, I believe.

Your flood of posts trying to belittle the success of Sharapova at Wimbledon is the only thing pathetic, Liz:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,942 Posts
foul_dwimmerlaik said:
We have quite enough winners, thank you very much. And the first Wimbledon champ in the country's history is worth every headline she's getting.
So was ours.

Too bad it happened before my grandmother was born!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,519 Posts
Wimbledon is overrated. Rolland Garros was more significant for russian sports because it had two Russians in the final and it was the first such final, not to mention that it was the first such win...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,942 Posts
jacobruiz said:
lizchris said:
The onlyn thing pathetic is a country getting excited that two players in a crwod of aobut 500 finally winning a Slam. They are not Justine and Kim.
Code:
Liz, are you really so bitter about Serena losing that that you think Russia is "pathetic" for getting excited about Myskina winning the French Open and Sharapova winning Wimbledon? The two are Russia's first grand slam winners, I believe.

Your flood of posts trying to belittle the success of Sharapova at Wimbledon is the only thing pathetic, Liz:rolleyes:
What I don't like is putting down Serena (and Venus for that matter) as if she is some has-been, who, if have to enlighten you, won ALL FOUR Grand Slams before Russia even had one and still gets treated as if she did something wrong by some on this board.

Sorry if that bothers you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,859 Posts
why is it that anastasia myskina didn't get these kinda headlines and accolades when she won RG a few weeks ago???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
lizchris said:
The onlyn thing pathetic is a country getting excited that two players in a crwod of aobut 500 finally winning a Slam. They are not Justine and Kim.

You need to speak to Jack Duckworth. He is the main one who said that Serena will never win another Slam, among others.

The game needs players who are good enough to win, regardless of if they are the same. I bet if the internet were around when Sfeffi was winning them all, you wouldn't complain.
LOL!!!!! I'm not even a Graf fan, I could care less when Graf won a major. So,shut the hell up about that.

The truth is I'm more of a men's tennis fan, I like that the men have different winners. It will do the women's game alot of good with Venus, Serena,Justine,Kim,and Sharapova battling it out for the majors, instead of one player dominating.

Women's tennis' last good year was 1999. Four different winners, great year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,533 Posts
lizchris said:
What I don't like is putting down Serena (and Venus for that matter) as if she is some has-been, who, if have to enlighten you, won ALL FOUR Grand Slams before Russia even had one and still gets treated as if she did something wrong by some on this board.

Sorry if that bothers you.
So now it's Serena against Russia now, is it?:lol: How dare those Russians celebrate their own!:lol:

Bitter, bitter Lizchris.:lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,274 Posts
Myskina sure does get shafted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,942 Posts
antonella said:
why is it that anastasia myskina didn't get these kinda headlines and accolades when she won RG a few weeks ago???
Don't get me started. I think you know why.

I am actually starting to feel sorry for Myskina. She is the top Russian and the first to win a Grand Slam and she is being treated like a bastard at a family reunion.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top