Tennis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,540 Posts
C'mon, isn't that a bit harsh? Maria hasn't played much doubles and it was the first time she was playing with Lisa. Martina & Sveta have been playing together a couple of months now in contrast. I'm sure the next time they play, the result will not be so one-sided.

· Registered
16,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I like Maria!!!

Just nice to see her lose to players who know what to do with the ball besides hit hard. Why???

Cuz this will make her more complete in the long term I think. So it's good for her and good for Martina too tonight.!

· Registered
7,943 Posts
Maria was injured she had a neck injury. Wally Masur commentating on aussie tv knew that he had heard it from an agent and there was doubt about her playing. Maria probably didn't want to let Lisa down or the crowd down. I'm not defending the girl but it was 100% clear she wasn't at her best physically.

· Veelieve!!!
33,802 Posts
Well if it isn't treufiend who is desperately seeking attention... She is a 16 year old who is playing doubles with a veteran for the 1st time in a slam for crying out loud . She partnered with Lisa Raymond, how come Lisa's name is not included? :rolleyes: :eek: :tape:

· Registered
2,881 Posts
Maria was clearly injured. She didn't even bother to put any pressure on her serve and only played out of commitment to Lisa and the fans there. Credit to Maria for going out there when it must be pretty difficuly, not to mention painful. Thumbs down to treufreund who seems to love making baseless contentions.

· Banned
596 Posts
er.....maybe being hailed "the next big thing" made her think she will be ruling the world like Martina:)
yes, i know you dont want to compare her to Anna K
but just so you know, Anna K got her first slam at 17 in doubles, wait, isnt Maria 17 now?;)

· Registered
16,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lighten up people! I am not attacking Maria. god you act like getting schooled and learning some valuable lessons is a bad thing. she is 16 and doing awesome. it's good that she showed up to play but too bad about the injury. some of you like infinitelystupid are trying to make my intentions seem bad but the point I am making is that she can learn from this and I hope she does expand her repertoire beyond the bolletieri brand of tennis

· Registered
8,954 Posts
why did maria get 'schooled'? i didn't see the match but raymond was also there. why aren't there headlines about raymond getting schooled?

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Maria is not a doubles player and hardly ever plays doubles. If anyone got schooled it was multi-Slam winner and former doubles #1 Lisa Raymond.

At the end of the day though it seems Maria was injured and couldn't compete as well as she would have liked. Our sympathies should be with Lisa, who was forced to find a partner at the last minute after Lindsay opted not to play, and now has been bundled out in singles and doubles, and will have to lose her place at the year-end championships.

· Registered
2,579 Posts
There's a lot of schooling for Maria in the near future. So she better get used to it. Goodluck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.