Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
This matter is settled isn't it? Two facts are all that remain from this saga:

1) Sharap deserves to be punished cause she broke WADA's rules, which put the substance on the prohibited list. Rules are rules. Athletes don't have the right use substances that WADA bans even unfairly (without evidence).
True.

2) WADA jumped the gun. It hadn't then —and still has not now— got any evidence that Meldonium enhances performance.
Meldonium may not necessarily "enhance" performance in the sense of boosting service power or leg speed, but its effects are certainly questionable when related to performance of an individual who is not using it for treatment of an actual ailment.

From Wikipedia:

Meldonium may be used to treat coronary artery disease.[4][5] These heart problems may sometimes lead to ischemia, a condition where too little blood flows to the organs in the body, especially the heart. Because this drug is thought to expand the arteries, it helps to increase the blood flow as well as increase the flow of oxygen throughout the body.[6] Meldonium has also been found to induce anticonvulsant and antihypnotic effects involving alpha 2-adrenergic receptors as well as nitric oxide-dependent mechanisms. This, in summary, shows that meldonium given in acute doses could be beneficial for the treatment of seizures and alcohol intoxication.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that Sharapova was an epileptic or alcoholic. From memory, she claimed that meldonium had initially been prescribed for her heart and possible familial links to diabetes. Whilst meldonium is used to treat coronary artery disease, I can't see how anyone with that illness could possibly play tennis at the level shown by Sharapova, no matter what treatment was employed. However, anyone without heart problems is certainly going to benefit markedly from an increase in blood and oxygen flow during competitive sport.

The following section on the physio-pharmacology of the drug is also very interesting, but it would send everyone to sleep if I included it here. Maybe @Tampering has some opinions to offer from a medical viewpoint.

...I suspect at some point in the future the drug will be allowed again.
Maybe. If so, it will have to come with a far stricter monitoring regime than it previously had.

·
Art & Futures
20,463 Posts
you know what would be nice?

if we had a chart of all major players, the drugs they take, and the ailments they suffer from, we could all be top-level internet snoops, and have prying into player's personal lives in a public sport more equitable. :poop:

·
Art & Futures
20,463 Posts
Sharapova and her fans claim that meldonium is a common medicine, similar to vitamins. But for the sake of this usual medicine, Sharapova found a doctor in Russia, brought it from Russia for many years, took meldonium in training and before important matches. And for some reason, she never listed meldonium in her declaration to WADA.

And as soon as meldonium was banned, Sharapova's level of play immediately dropped sharply, she began to lose frequently in the first rounds. The game with and without meldonium is two different Sharapovs. Very interesting "vitamins" ...
There could be other reasons though (other than meldonium alone) that she started losing early (perhaps in connection with the controversy)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Honestly it was really disappointing to find out that other federations have warned of this thing while nobody has warned me." Then the Siberian said:" After the press conference where I had to go out in front of everyone, I decided to delete all social networks from my phone, I had to protect myself and protect my sanity.
What awful journalism...

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
This shameful player still refusing to take any bit of responsibility for what she did!!

Her latest comeback will always be remembered among the public as one of the biggest flops in Tennis' history 🤣

he best result was vulturing an international tournament around the end of 2017.

·
Registered
294 Posts
"Honestly it was really disappointing to find out that other federations have warned of this thing while nobody has warned me."

In fact, Sharapova stated at a press conference that she received many different letters, articles, links and the like in her mail, so she didn't read everything. And who did not let her put things in order in her mail, block spam, delete all unnecessary?

And why didn't the richest athlete have a dedicated person to keep track of all the changes in doping rules? After all, the same meldonium was monitored for one year before it was added to the banned drug list.

It turns out that Sharapova did not give a damn about all the rules and was sure that rich sponsors would protect her in any case. But they were able to do this only at the CAS level, for some reason they did not succeed at the ITF level.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
True.

Meldonium may not necessarily "enhance" performance in the sense of boosting service power or leg speed, but its effects are certainly questionable when related to performance of an individual who is not using it for treatment of an actual ailment.

From Wikipedia:

Meldonium may be used to treat coronary artery disease.[4][5] These heart problems may sometimes lead to ischemia, a condition where too little blood flows to the organs in the body, especially the heart. Because this drug is thought to expand the arteries, it helps to increase the blood flow as well as increase the flow of oxygen throughout the body.[6] Meldonium has also been found to induce anticonvulsant and antihypnotic effects involving alpha 2-adrenergic receptors as well as nitric oxide-dependent mechanisms. This, in summary, shows that meldonium given in acute doses could be beneficial for the treatment of seizures and alcohol intoxication.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that Sharapova was an epileptic or alcoholic. From memory, she claimed that meldonium had initially been prescribed for her heart and possible familial links to diabetes. Whilst meldonium is used to treat coronary artery disease, I can't see how anyone with that illness could possibly play tennis at the level shown by Sharapova, no matter what treatment was employed. However, anyone without heart problems is certainly going to benefit markedly from an increase in blood and oxygen flow during competitive sport.

The following section on the physio-pharmacology of the drug is also very interesting, but it would send everyone to sleep if I included it here. Maybe @Tampering has some opinions to offer from a medical viewpoint.

Maybe. If so, it will have to come with a far stricter monitoring regime than it previously had.
Did someone say vasodialotor.

So for athletes It appears the drug has two main effects.

One of them changes mitochondrial function allowing more fat (long chain fatty acids) to be burned without overloading the system.

Physiologically fats are very efficient at storing energy because they don't soak up water. However as anyone who's turned 40 and suddently has a few extra kilograms around the belly can tell you. The body prefers to burn anything else before going into Beta-oxidation and using that stored fat.

If you are trying to lose fat weight the trainers will tell you to calculate your target heart rate and try to sustain that for 30 minutes. This is a proxy for a physiological condition where your body is using energy at a rate where burning fat is prefered. If you work harder than this, your body will not burn fat because the B-oxidation step is a bottleneck that prevents enough energy to meet demand from releasing. Therefore the body will go into anaerobic mode and burn glycogen without sending it through the electro transport chain and form lactic acid instead. Conversely if you work less hard than this the body, will not bother burning the fat because it doesn't need that much energy and can get by with burning free glucose/glycogen completely. So the tdrug expands the energy consumption range where burning fat is prefered physiologically

The other effect is that it's a vasodilator. So it increases blood flow letting muscles work harder without lactic acid build up.

Both these effects are useful in a match but they are equally important in training. You can build your muscles and work harder for longer.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Why would your agent be in charge of what drugs you're taking?! That makes absolutely no sense. That's not an agent's job. If anything, it would be your personal doctor's responsibility or your physio. Maria probably asked Max to take the blame, and considering how much money she's made him, he probably agreed.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I haven't bothered to read the other 4 pages, however her agent should be ashamed.

How dare he force and make Sharapova to take drugs.

Seriously, she only needs to look in the mirror every morning and see who is to blame for the situation, HER and nobody else.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
This shameful player still refusing to take any bit of responsibility for what she did!!

Her latest comeback will always be remembered among the public as one of the biggest flops in Tennis' history 🤣

he best result was vulturing an international tournament around the end of 2017.
Did you miss the part where all of these quotes are over 3 years old? This is not a new interview. Seems some people just can't let go.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did you miss the part where all of these quotes are over 3 years old? This is not a new interview. Seems some people just can't let go.
I am disgusted with the arrogance with which Sharapova lied, covering herself. Apparently, she was confident that her wealthy sponsors would keep everything to a minimum. And it happened at the CAS level, they agreed with her blatant lie.

·
King
28,667 Posts
And this thread is still open....

Same people saying the same shit that has been said 1043524312 times over the last 4 years.

·
Registered
210 Posts
"As a young man I started taking it..."
I want some too...

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

Same people saying the same shit that has been said 1043524312 times over the last 4 years.
Actually, no. Jake8 found an interview on a Dutch news website that I had never seen before. Apart from that, though, the facts haven't actually changed since she was banned - no matter how much she and some of her fans want to try to promote the notion that she was hard done by.

·
Registered
766 Posts
"And this thread is still open...." and other threads will be opened, and it will go on and on and on ...UNTIL: Sharapova will acknowledge her fault and will stop blaming everyone else but the real culprit, the one who swallowed Meldonium: HER!
The reason why this subject is still having so much 'attraction' to so many users, is that people generally hate cheaters and liars ..and Masha is a proven Cheater and a Liar that keeps on lying year after year, while trying to throw the blame on anyone else but her.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah,it coulda been related to her forehand powershots that only she does like her way and the toll it took on her,so she needed help to recover,not inpreperation for but recovery from; there's always a next match on the tour and recovery is to be ready to start again at the next tourney.WTA could have then and now or her team provided better recovery vitamin or suppliment advices.Some therapeutics used for Covid19 weren't shown to be helpful until proper follow up studies were done and they were then,shown to be helpful to recover back to NORMAL not inhance,improve there work or performance in sports. Eg. Traffic codes say cannabis may effect ability to drive a vehicle,not inhance ,they don't say that ,but it may help with recovery of pains from a long drive if used afterwards. Therefore we could then dedus that pot could be used on court,by players or in a players system for either recovery or muscular pain afterwards and not because the traffic codes worldwide say in don't enhance.Somebody don't have enough sports drinks before or during a match and Panna from lack of recovery or performance ,and they aren't banned are they.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah Yeah,Nah Nah ,Yeah because when the Authorities have law's about say if your fullnoise in a Porsche or a Merc, Hemi,Ford GT etc,the respective codes make clear that if the traffic cops put cones or spikes on the road that cannabis won't enhance the driver's ability to navigate or drive better,so it could've been available all this time for players to use in recovery and the next day there would be no effect's at all to performance in the next match.Drugs in urine etc being excreted are an irrelavence to effects ,it's being passed,it's like a wk or two after someone has covid19 they may be passing the DNA of it outta their system but are nolonger transmitting or aren't effected by it anymore.Just the fact it's detected means nothing if it's passed or neutralised by ones system.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts