Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
why Sharapova didn't she check the WADA list before the start of the season? Why didn't the richest woman athlete have someone to regularly follow this list? After all, before banning meldonium, WADA monitored it for one year and WADA always indicates on its website which medical devices it is currently monitoring, anyone can read it.

Perhaps Sharapova was confident in her inviolability, because she has such rich sponsors. But for some reason, they could only help her at the CAS level.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
From a Dutch newssite 12-3-2016 on the case: "I'm fully responsible for not reading an email on 22 december with the header "Most inportant changes regarding anti-doping in tennis 2016". I should've given it more attention"

I think she gave an interview after all hell had broken loose.

Thanks for that. It's not something I've seen before.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Because the WADA ruling said that she may have taken a banned substance in 2016 but while it was illegal in those 5 matches (she made the QF and lost 6-4 6-1 to Serena), it was not intentional. Also, her use of meldonium was mostly for between match recovery (something every top athlete wants to achieve). It wasn't to amp up before matches.

It's about intentionality and ethics. She may have been prescribed it and took it, but I know Maria as a person. She is absolutely not going to risk her career and her almost flawless reputation for something she ever thought was willful cheating. People don't seem to understand that.
You are so naïve. So you know her that well? That's cool, how did you guys met?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
When you are the CEO, the buck stops with you. No passing the blame

When you have a huge brand like Sharapova had, the #1 woman in sponsorships for over 10 years, you cant afford this, to have the integrity of your sports results questioned.
I also thought Eisenbud has to tell her there was a change to the banned drug list.
If I was an agent to a sports marketing star, that would be something I paid attention to. Think what it would mean if Nadal failed a drug test. You cant afford any risk there.
But now a few years have passed and she should move on. The baseball ARod was a drug cheat and he is getting a lot of work now
Date a celebrity!
Difference is everybody likes Alex Rodriguez. Nobody likes Sharapova

·
Registered
85,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
When you are the CEO, the buck stops with you. No passing the blame

Difference is everybody likes Alex Rodriguez. Nobody likes Sharapova
Who said that?

Reactions: sav001

·
Registered
249 Posts
It is every athletes responsibility to know what is and isn't legal, the WTA does not ask players to let their agents/management to control this aspect of the rules, that was Sharapova's choice to hire somebody else to deal with, it, if she did not double check something as important as this then it's her own fault.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It is every athletes responsibility to know what is and isn't legal, the WTA does not ask players to let their agents/management to control this aspect of the rules, that was Sharapova's choice to hire somebody else to deal with, it, if she did not double check something as important as this then it's her own fault.
Perhaps Sharapova simply decided to continue using meldonium, hoping that he would not be found or that she would be helped and she would avoid punishment. Judging by the decision of the CAS, there is someone to intercede for Sharapova, but just at the initial stage, she did not manage to hush up the scandal.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sharapova brazenly lied that she did not know about the prohibition of meddonium. It is very strange that the CAS believed this blatant lie.
Because anyone with a functioning brain understands that she would have stopped taking it, had she known it had been banned.

·
Registered
15,186 Posts
This matter is settled isn't it? Two facts are all that remain from this saga:

1) Sharap deserves to be punished cause she broke WADA's rules, which put the substance on the prohibited list. Rules are rules. Athletes don't have the right use substances that WADA bans even unfairly (without evidence).

1) WADA jumped the gun. It hadn't then —and still has not now— got any evidence that Meldonium enhances performance. The initial German preliminary test and report (that triggerd the whole chain of events) did not eventually lead to a proper, scientific, peer-reviewed conclusion based on multiple follow up tests. That's the normal procedure which should have happened — and until then for the drug stay on WADA's "monitored" list. But that didn't happen — instead WADA pushed ahead for the drug to be banned outright — because of likely PR reasons (WADA wanted to appear tough on Russian doping — which at the time was headline news). I suspect at some point in the future the drug will be allowed again.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sharapova and her fans claim that meldonium is a common medicine, similar to vitamins. But for the sake of this usual medicine, Sharapova found a doctor in Russia, brought it from Russia for many years, took meldonium in training and before important matches. And for some reason, she never listed meldonium in her declaration to WADA.

And as soon as meldonium was banned, Sharapova's level of play immediately dropped sharply, she began to lose frequently in the first rounds. The game with and without meldonium is two different Sharapovs. Very interesting "vitamins" ...

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Where is the agency from one of the most powerful female sports stars of the 21st century?

"They gave me these pills to take, whoops."
Followed by
"I am a strong independent woman"

61 - 80 of 126 Posts