Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From the match of the day thread.

.......The effects are, naturally, dramatic: Clijsters, #133 four weeks ago and #38 last week, is now #17 in the world. She is #4 in the WTA Race, behind only Sharapova (who, despite losing, takes the top spot and is very close to qualifying for the year-end championships), Davenport (also close to qualifying), and Serena Williams. If the WTA were still using the divisor, she's be up to #11 and nearly certain to get one of the top eight Roland Garros seeds.
Its only the beginning of April and Maria (alongwith Lindsay) is already close to qualifying for the YEC Championship. :)

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
:hehehe:

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
That's awesome newz... and since Serena is merely 176 pts. behind Maria, and less than 100 pts behind LindZ, she must be close as well...

·
Registered
467 Posts
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
wow lindsay!!!! lol

·
Registered
25,217 Posts
I'm willing to look at math that proves that statement, but honestly, I think that's total BS.

Obviouslly Davenport and Serena could wind up with more points than Sharapova. Now suppose Dementieva, Schnyder and Dechy win Roland Garros, Wimbledon anf Flushing Meadow, with Moilk, Clijsters and Mauresmo as finalists.

Unless they're going back to the 16 player format (baaaaaad move), Sharapova could have 2000 points, and still not make it. The #8 player right now has over 2600 hundred points. Is 900 points shy of that really all that 'close'?

1 1699.00 SHARAPOVA

2 1614.00 5 DAVENPORT
3 1523.00 4 WILLIAMS
4 1237.00 CLIJSTERS
5 1089.00 MAURESMO
6 _960.00 MOLIK
7 _820.00 DECHY
8 _797.00 SCHNYDER
9 _697.00 DEMENTIEVA

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
thanks Volcana - that was very intresting and useful!
let's not forget JHH, venus and the russians are gunna split some points as well, so unless she really wins on of the remaining slams and assures herself the GS card, it's not done yet
or else - i'm very much ready to boycot the YEC.
april with two players already In for sure?
that's a bit boring.
in two more months, serena kim and RG winner will have secured places and that's it - nothing to look for anymore.
i hope sharapova and lindz qualify - i also hope they prove themselves time and time again before, they deserve bieng pushed to a better level - they are stars.

·
Premium Member
40,057 Posts
Well helll yeah, she better have...she's played 5 tournaments and has made at least the semi-finals of every tournament she's played...quite good. Let's see how she holds up during the spring. I know she will do well in the summer and barring injury she should, along with the rest of the current Porche Race Top 4 UNDOUBTEDLY make the YEC

·
Registered
15,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Volcana said:
I'm willing to look at math that proves that statement, but honestly, I think that's total BS.
Hey i didn't say that. Its Bob Larson (i think) who thinks that she is very close to qualifying for the YEC. Blame him not me :p

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I don't see what's the big deal. Davenport and Mauresmo both qualified for the YEC in June last year. Davenport has played more and gotten farther in the AO slam this year and Sharapova is just as consistent. If they both continue to be consistent till the French Open they should. Justine-Henin Hardenne qualified last year for the YEC but didn't play. She played 9 tournis and won 5 of them. She didn't play for half of the year because of her mono-like ailment. So yes it's possible for someone to qualify for the YEC this early in the year.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.