·
Banned
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharapova chases No. 1 ranking

Maria Sharapova

Sports Ticker

8/8/2005 9:35:53 PM

CARSON, California (Ticker) - Teenage tennis sensation Maria Sharapova is on the threshold of making another childhood dream become reality, something fellow Russian Anna Kournikova could only imagine.

One summer after winning Wimbledon for her first Grand Slam, the top-seeded Sharapova can become the world No. 1 if she can reach the semifinals at the $585,000 JP Morgan Chase Open, which began Monday.

Sharapova is returning to play for the first time since a sore back felled her following a final-four appearance at Wimbledon last month. After giving herself a clean bill of health, the talk this week will center on whether the 18-year-old blonde beauty can become the 10th player in WTA history to reach the top spot.

"I don't dream about it at night, but it's always been my dream to be the best and be a champion, and to always do the best I can - No. 1 or whatever I can achieve," she said Monday. "But I always want to be sure that I was headed towards No. 1. So even if I don't become No. 1, I'm still at the top where I can be."

"It's very important but I want to make sure whenever I become No. 1, I'm healthy and ready to stay at No. 1," Sharapova explained. "For me to become No. 1 and keep it for one week doesn't mean anything. That's what I'm working towards. I'm not working towards becoming No. 1 and falling down the steps."

Sharapova would become the 15th world No. 1 since the inception of the computer rankings in 1975, and just as important, the first Russian in history to reach the coveted crown.

"Just to be No. 1 is an amazing accomplishment but of course to become the first Russian to be able to do that for my country is also amazing," she said.

Compatriot Elena Dementieva admitted it would be a great accomplishment for both Russia and Sharapova.

"It's a big goal to be No. 1, especially for the Russian tennis to have someone reach such a big goal that they never had this experience before," the third seed said. "I think it means a lot for her, I think it means a lot for every single player. With the way she's been playing the last two years, I think she really deserves it."

Dementieva didn't think the fact that Sharapova has spent most of her teenage life in the U.S. would tarnish the feat in Russia.

"I think it doesn't matter for the sport," the two-time Grand Slam finalist added. "It's a very individual sport, no matter where she's from and where she's practicing. She's going to be No. 1 and that's all she wanted."

Belgian Kim Clijsters, who became world No. 1 after winning here two years ago, expects the financial doors to swing open even wider if Sharapova can attain the top spot.

"I'm sure it will open up many more doors for her," Clijsters said. "She has a lot of great sponsorship deals but that shows what a great tennis player she is.

"It's not like Anna (Kournikova), who had all the attention and the big contract. Maria has both and she's a great tennis player as well. You have to admire that. She has the possibility of achieving that. I'm pretty sure she will and that's great."

Sharapova has had several opportunities in 2005 to surpass Lindsay Davenport but thus far has failed to overtake the American. With the injured Davenport (lower back strain) unable to defend points from tournaments at Stanford, San Diego and here, Sharapova has her greatest chance to accomplish the goal.

Sharapova doesn't know what to expect should she attain the top ranking but it doesn't figure to be a life-altering experience.

"I really don't know it's hard to say," she said. "Being No. 2 and then being No. l, I don't know, maybe more respect. But I don't think there's going to be a huge difference, except knowing the fact you are No. 1."

However, Sharapova insisted she will not be disappointed if she fails to reach No. 1 this week.

"There's no big rush," she explained. "If it doesn't happen now and it doesn't happen later or it never happens, whatever. I won't say I was this far from being No. 1.

"I'm No. 2 in the world. It's amazing to be able to do what I do and still be 18 years old and have a whole career ahead of you and so much to look forward it. I'm thankful for everything that's happened."

In first-round action Monday, No. 13 Francesca Schiavone of Italy, No. 14 Gisela Dulko of Argentina, 15th-seeded Czech Klara Koukalova, No. 16 Anna Chakvetadze of Russia and No. 17 Marion Bartoli of France all won, but No. 11 Shinobu Asagoe of Japan was upset by Jie Zheng of China, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 6-0.

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/news_story.asp?ID=132851&hubName=

·
Registered
27,921 Posts
C'mon LenaD :rolleyes: She's not a Russian. :tape:

Reactions: .ivy.

·
Team WTAworld
15,941 Posts
Babolatpro880 said:
Please Kim, be a bitch for once.
:lol: Seriously!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
No one wants to say anything, because Kim made number one without winning a slam and Elena could only dream of winning one, so they knew her accomplishments were tremendous, even by their standards or success, so they should have nothing but good things to say. Now ask Anastasia or justine and you would get different results.

Reactions: Spunky83

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I am waiting for Goldenlox to tell us how this is great and Maria really really deserves it and will be the greatest ever :dance:

·
Registered
24,225 Posts
Miching~Mallecho said:
Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Kim, and Justine: Please continue to whup her ass on the courts. Stasia, try to whup some ass too, girl. :dance:
maria is 2-2 against serena winning 2 of the last 3.
maria is 2-1 against venus.
maria is 2-1 against lindsay, winning their 2 most important matches.
maria is 0-2 or 0-1 against kim, you may be onto something with this one.
maria is 1-2 against justine. maria beat her rather easily on a hardcourt, and justine won both their red clay matches. no one beat juju on clay this year.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Compatriot Elena Dementieva admitted it would be a great accomplishment for both Russia and Sharapova.

"It's a big goal to be No. 1, especially for the Russian tennis to have someone reach such a big goal that they never had this experience before," the third seed said. "I think it means a lot for her, I think it means a lot for every single player. With the way she's been playing the last two years, I think she really deserves it."
Go Lena!!

Show the world how classy you're!!

And I'm glad I talked about the Masha issue with you before.

Люблю тeбя, Лeна!!

Good luck at LA!!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Miching~Mallecho said:
Time for the Sharapova ass-kissing to begin. :rolleyes:
Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Kim, and Justine: Please continue to whup her ass on the courts. Stasia, try to whup some ass too, girl. :dance:

:rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hate all you want!

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
maria is 2-2 against serena winning 2 of the last 3.
maria is 2-1 against lindsay, winning their 2 most important matches.
maria is 0-2 or 0-1 against kim, you may be onto something with this one.
maria is 1-2 against justine. maria beat her rather easily on a hardcourt, and justine won both their red clay matches. no one beat juju on clay this year.
0-3 vs. Kim, but otherwise you are right.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Miching~Mallecho said:
Time for the Sharapova ass-kissing to begin. :rolleyes:
How does it do anything but HELP tennis for Sharapova to be as popular as possible?

Okay, I'm a Venus fan, so it's easy for me to be magnanimous right now. But how is it going to hurt anybody else for Sharapova to be #1? Is she going to get endorsements Venus would otherwise have gotten? Maybe one or two, but Venus is a multi-millionaire. I don't worry about her finances. If it means one more hour of tennis on TV that I get to see, it's worth it. Besides, is being #1 REALLY going to bring Sharapova endorsements winning Wimbledon didn't. So she gets billed as "the #1 player in the world". Where's the harm? If she doesn't win a slam WHILE she #1, nobody in tennis is going to call her the 'best' female tennis player too loudly.

I don't see the problem here. She being skinny and blonde mean you're BANNED from being #1. Would have been tough on Steffi Graf.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
A record I am blissfully happy about. I would not exchange Venus one victory for Sharapova's two. I am absolutely certain Sharapova would give up her two victories for Venus' one.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Volcana said:
A record I am blissfully happy about. I would not exchange Venus one victory for Sharapova's two. I am absolutely certain Sharapova would give up her two victories for Venus' one.
I concur.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Wow,very nice said from both Kim & Lena :clap2:
It's a smart way from both gals to speak sweet worlds instread of bad mouth ;)
Go Maria take #1 this week :rocker2: :rocker2:

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Volcana said:
that was not the point. The point was that these ppl don't "beat up on" Maria. They challenge her and she them. They have rivalries.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
mboyle said:
that was not the point. The point was that these ppl don't "beat up on" Maria. They challenge her and she them. They have rivalries.
Well. 'Rivalries'. Not much in the way of rivalries in the WTA today. Maybe Serena and JCap, cause they both have a knack for .... excessive drama? Venus and Lindsay have played 17 times and that's only just barely a rivalry. More like a 'oh, you again. Wanna get dinner after this?' :)

Seriously, I get your point. I'm a bit light-hearted about it cause I don't mind Sharapova the #1 ranking. Somebody has to. And if it isn't Venus, what's the diff?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Babolatpro880 said:
Please Kim, be a bitch for once.
:haha: Seriously it will never happen. Anyway congrats and good luck to Masha for being #1. Its not easy having all that pressure.

Serena and Justine plz come back I really miss these 2 personlities on court :sad:

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I don't know how long she will hold onto it. Of course there's a big opportunity to get lots of US Open points but ending the year number one is a bigger challenge because of defending the champs.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts