Tennis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe what I'm seeing. I just saw today's schedule for the senior women's event at the U.S. Open, and one of the matches will feature ... drum role ...

Linky Boshoff and Ilana Kloss, winners in 1976, against Wendy Turnbull and Robin White.

Boshoff is now Boshoff-Mortlock. When I last spoke to Ilana Kloss in late 1990s, she said Linky was a farmer's wife and the mother of three children in South Africa. I would love to see this match played -- maybe even more than this year's final!

As many of you know, I was a devoted Linky Boshoff fan from Wimbledon 1974 when she reached the quarterfinals as a 17-year-old to her retirement in 1977 upon capturing the singles, doubles and mixed doubles titles at the South African Open.

As Charles Schultz once said about Linky in his Peanuts comic script, "How can anyone not like someone named Linky Boshoff." And besides, she was shorter than Snoopy!

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,735 Posts
[email protected] the Peanuts part:)

What else did you love about her Jem? Wasn't that 1976 win a shocker?
I never got to see them on TV (I first got into tennis in 1977), but I DID see Kloss play senior mixed dubs at the 1996 US Open. She was so graceful and ladylike, with a hell of body and a vicious volley! Poor Rosie Casals was downright frumpish on the other side of the net.

What caused Boshoff to retire anyway Jem?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's true -- I was a great fan of Linky's. But to see her actually play was a rare fortune for me. In fact, most of what I saw was clips here and there -- a few points from the 1976 U.S. Open doubles, a few points of her match against Margaret Court in Chicago in 1977 (she lost 7-5 in the third in what may have been Margaret's last tournament), and a handful of other events. You have to remember -- there wasn't a lot of tennis on the tube in those days and I was a teenager on a farm in south Georgia, so there wasn't much opportunity to see tennis anywhere else! I followed her results as much as anything else and loved her name as much as anything.

From all that I read and saw, she was a very solid player -- solid groundstrokes, superb volleys. She rarely beat herself. But her size -- or lack there of -- allowed other players to beat her, even in those days when power wasn't quite the issue it is today. She was a plucky player if you know what I mean.

I remember once reading a quote from her where she said she give her right arm to be 5-foot-four. As it was, she was barely 5-1.

She retired in order to return to school. I think she sensed she had made the most of a golden opportunity, and the travel was somewhat of a grind. Plus, she had that rare opportunity to go out on top -- winning the three major events at her country's national championship at a time when the South African Open was considered a high-quality tournament. In fact, Linky won the tournament when it was a $35,000 tournament and part of the original Colgate tour. The first prize was $6,000!

In the early 1980s when I was beginning my newspaper career, I met a group of South African farmers/businessmen who knew Linky and thought she was top-notch!

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,876 Posts
Does anyone know what is US Open Seniors doubles? Is it one-off matches or play off or soemthing else? I do not seem to find draws anywhere..

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
Jem: Margaret Court in fact played two more tournament after Chicago in 1977: LA the following week and then Detroit the week after, during which she discovered she was pregnant and withdrew from her Q/F against Frankie Durr and never played again.

Regarding Linky, I remember once reading her described as 'the girl who has perfected the art of playing tennis standing still'!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Declan,

You're right about Court. I thought it was the Chicago tournament, but oddly enough, I was looking through some old World Tennis magazines and saw she retired in the Detroit event. I was going to correct myself today! Thanks for beating me to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.