·
Registered
37,709 Posts
Reactions: Shifty-Eyed Dog

·
Registered
31,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Re: Harvey Weinstein Charged with Harassment, Rape, Abuse, etc.

I think she's gone cuckoo. I loved her designs (she retired a few years ago) so it's a shame she made these comments, as they will definitely tarnish her legacy.
I suspect Weinstein helped her a lot more than she would be willing to admit, and she can't reconcile all she owes to him with the terrible things he's done to women, it's the purest of denial.

·
Registered
57,323 Posts

i hope he will end his life in jail for all the things he has done to ppl esp woman body and souls and that it will be a future lesson to all of hollywood fakness and the big ppl in the film industry, ur never ever way big to fall.

Reactions: Barrie_Dude

·
Registered
3,594 Posts

i hope he will end his life in jail for all the things he has done to ppl esp woman body and souls and that it will be a future lesson to all of hollywood fakness and the big ppl in the film industry, ur never ever way big to fall.
This guy probably won't even see the inside of a courtroom. Rules are different for the rich

·
Registered
57,323 Posts

This guy probably won't even see the inside of a courtroom. Rules are different for the rich
;) ;) be positive

·
Registered
35,934 Posts

People need to stop acting like (leaving out the rapes) Weinstein's behavior is an anomaly. Most of the harassment claims are things that happen daily. And again - many Americans were willing to voted for a man who bragged about grabbing women's genitals.

Reactions: Sammo

·
Registered
57,323 Posts

People need to stop acting like (leaving out the rapes) Weinstein's behavior is an anomaly. Most of the harassment claims are things that happen daily. And again - many Americans were willing to vote for a man who bragged about grabbing women's genitals.
fixed it for ya;)

Reactions: pov

·
Registered
6,119 Posts

People need to stop acting like (leaving out the rapes) Weinstein's behavior is an anomaly. Most of the harassment claims are things that happen daily. And again - many Americans were willing to voted for a man who bragged about grabbing women's genitals.
Weinstein is an anomaly. He's a pervert (likes to expose himself), a sex addict (obsessive behavior) and a predator (rapist). Hollywood and music business are different from most of the society. When you have thousands of aspiring young actresses willing to do almost anything to make it and so few good roles, it's a perfect place for a man like Weinstein. What Trump was bragging about was that women LET HIM do things to them because he's a star. He was talking about groupies, not about situation where he's hiring someone.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts

Harvey Weinstein and the Economics of Consent

The blunt power of the gatekeeper is the ability to enforce not just artistic, but also financial, exile.
by Brit Marling

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/10/harvey-weinstein-and-the-economics-of-consent/543618/
I lost count how many times she said "straight white males". The problem in Hollywood and America are liberal elites who abuse their powers. Not "straight white males" most of which are perfectly decent human beings.

Clintons are the "Weinstein" of politics. Everybody knows their corrupt ways (and Bill's rapes) but they can keep going because they are "too big to jail". Some day the times will change and people will ask "why did we allow this for so long?".

·

"There is no such thing as the patriarchy or rape culture! :SNE:"

Some people I just... ugh :facepalm:
In the Western world? No, no there's not.

If we were living in a patriarchy we would not have female political leaders, female presidential candidates, female top level executives, etc. Sure, there might not be enough women in these positions to say we are truly a gender-balanced society, but to say we're living in a patriarchy is just hyperbolic. Take the UK for example, we have a female Prime Minister, female First Minister, female Scottish Conservative party leader, female Scottish Labour party leader, female Green party leader, female Plaid Cymru leader, female Scottish Green co-leader, many female Council leaders across the UK, etc... There is a patriarchy in many areas of the middle-east and certain other parts of the world though, yes.

As for rape culture, again, not in the West. If we were living in a rape culture in the West we would not have women publicly coming out about their rape experiences and being embraced with understanding and outrage for the victims like we're seeing in this Weinstein case. In a rape culture, like in many areas of the Middle-East, the women would be broadly blamed for being raped and even prosecuted for it. That's rape culture.

It's entirely unhelpful to use these terms to describe the developed world because, while there is still a lot of work to be done, it completely discredits and somewhat hampers the progress we've made. It's also just flatly inaccurate and puts these very serious terms at risk of being watered down and ultimately meaningless for when they genuinely do apply to a situation.

So let's just put the Buzzfeed and Cosmopolitan articles down and be a bit more sophisticated about these very serious issues. I think we'll continue to make a lot more progress that way.

·
Registered
37,709 Posts

In the Western world? No, no there's not.

If we were living in a patriarchy we would not have female political leaders, female presidential candidates, female top level executives, etc. Sure, there might not be enough women in these positions to say we are truly a gender-balanced society, but to say we're living in a patriarchy is just hyperbolic. Take the UK for example, we have a female Prime Minister, female First Minister, female Scottish Conservative party leader, female Scottish Labour party leader, female Green party leader, female Plaid Cymru leader, female Scottish Green co-leader, many female Council leaders across the UK, etc... There is a patriarchy in many areas of the middle-east and certain other parts of the world though, yes.

As for rape culture, again, not in the West. If we were living in a rape culture in the West we would not have women publicly coming out about their rape experiences and being embraced with understanding and outrage for the victims like we're seeing in this Weinstein case. In a rape culture, like in many areas of the Middle-East, the women would be broadly blamed for being raped and even prosecuted for it. That's rape culture.

It's entirely unhelpful to use these terms to describe the developed world because, while there is still a lot of work to be done, it completely discredits and somewhat hampers the progress we've made. It's also just flatly inaccurate and puts these very serious terms at risk of being watered down and ultimately meaningless for when they genuinely do apply to a situation.

So let's just put the Buzzfeed and Cosmopolitan articles down and be a bit more sophisticated about these very serious issues. I think we'll continue to make a lot more progress that way.
Ever heard of the word "degree" as in degrees of situations? :SNE:

Reactions: hablo

·
Registered
4,178 Posts

Direct quote: "when you're a star they let you do it". That was the bragging part.

Anyway, Bill Clinton is much better comparison to Weinstein. Remember the cigar thing? His face when it was mentioned?

Please, liberals do not want to see this inconvenient truth.

·

Ever heard of the word "degree" as in degrees of situations? :SNE:
I have heard of that word but I didn't hear you say it in your original post. You wouldn't be back-pedalling by any chance, would you? :SNE:

·
Registered
37,709 Posts

I have heard of that word but I didn't hear you say it in your original post. You wouldn't be back-pedalling by any chance, would you? :SNE:
Right, because I obviously meant things are as bad in the West as they are in Saudi Arabia.

101 - 120 of 826 Posts