Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
6 millions? Much more people died from cigarretes and nothing has been done about that.
What are you talking about, an entire industry has been created to combat nicotine addiction and the harmful effects of smoking, from banning it from all indoors and flights, offering help groups and programs, alternatives like patches and vaping, excessive taxation to compel behavior, and general disgust and repulsion from society at large through advertising healthy living and lifestyle choices.

But we're not talking about smoking which is a personal choice, we're talking about contracting a harmful virus which is not a personal choice. The two are not comparable.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
This, coming from a player whose career was derailed because of doping. Sorry, I don't exactly find her credible.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I admit I did not read everything (tl dr sorry) but just this :
for 17 years of professional career and 12 years of walking in Australia, I do not know and have not heard of a player having a problem entering Australia after being issued a visa.
makes me think she misses the point here and there. Things are slightly different and complicated since the beginning of covid crisis than it was when she was playing.

Also not her talking about exemptions and banned substances :rofl:the audacity

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
This, coming from a player whose career was derailed because of doping. Sorry, I don't exactly find her credible.
What do you mean "you dont find her credible"? She is talking about organization of tournaments and how everything has worked fine until the Australian government decided to interfere. She is talking about how wide spread the handing of excemptions by Wada is in general for some countries and we knew that already, we just dont have players calling out others on it. There's nothing biased OR some huge inside info to consider anything on this CREDIBLE. It's just a great text to summarize things we knew in a way that it looks like a context of recent events.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
20,235 Posts
What do you mean "you dont find her credible"? She is talking about organization of tournaments and how everything has worked fine until the Australian government decided to interfere. She is talking about how wide spread the handing of excemptions by Wada is in general for some countries and we knew that already, we just dont have players calling out others on it. There's nothing biased OR some huge inside info to consider anything on this CREDIBLE. It's just a great text to summarize things we knew in a way that it looks like a context of recent events.
Lol you expect these people to read more than 2 sentences that doesn't support their views? They are herd mentality at it's finest.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've seen many people get deported from the US/AU because of minor mistakes on their VISA forms, it sucks, but it's clearly said upon receival of any US/AU visa that: "The country can deny you entry at any given moment and cancel your visa at any given time upon arrival at a port of entry". It sucks for the player, but at the same time, he was warned this could and would happen.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
She was a 15 year old child when she tested positive. There was definitely an adult behind the scenes who was responsible.
Yes, there was... and surprisingly, the WTA got itself pretty much involved in her case, to no avail... that debacle made it more reluctant to react a few years later when a more prominent player also got entangled...

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I've seen many people get deported from the US/AU because of minor mistakes on their VISA forms, it sucks, but it's clearly said upon receival of any US/AU visa that: "The country can deny you entry at any given moment and cancel your visa at any given time upon arrival at a port of entry". It sucks for the player, but at the same time, he was warned this could and would happen.
Yes, that's true. But most probably they were travelling for other reasons (touristic, work, etc.). That's what she means - sportspeople apply for a different procedure which is usually eased because they are not going to be a threat for the local labour market or social system. Tournaments help a lot, also their agents get a shitload of money for this job to be done correctly. So it's a huge effort for any government and would need very political reasons to force stopping a visa. The way did it to Voracova is a pure humiliation to someone with plenty of experience doing it. Additionally, how the government stopped Djokovic's visa the second time (giving him the least possible time to react) is extremely dirty and unprofessional on their side.
That's more or less written in the text as well.

·
Registered
46,150 Posts
Yes, that's true. But most probably they were travelling for other reasons (touristic, work, etc.). That's what she means - sportspeople apply for a different procedure which is usually eased because they are not going to be a threat for the local labour market or social system. Tournaments help a lot, also their agents get a shitload of money for this job to be done correctly. So it's a huge effort for any government and would need very political reasons to force stopping a visa. The way did it to Voracova is a pure humiliation to someone with plenty of experience doing it. Additionally, how the government stopped Djokovic's visa the second time (giving him the least possible time to react) is extremely dirty and unprofessional on their side.
That's more or less written in the text as well.
But visas before covid are hardly comparable to visas in current times and she is completely ignoring that point. Obviously Australia has new requirements to get a visa and neither Djokovic or Voracova nor any other tennis player had been granted visas under these conditions before. I find Australia‘s entry requirements way too strict. However, that law has yet to be overturned and therefore is applicable. And if the country feels that someone is not meeting their requirements, they will obviously interfere. I am convinced that political reasons play a role because they want everyone to be vaccinated. But once again the current pandemic situation cannot be compared to previous times and in order to ensure that their (hopefully temporary) stricter entry requirements are met, interferences are way more likely by a country than in the past. Djokovic and Voracova may have been granted visas by the state of Victoria, but the law of the country is above the states at the end of the day.

While she makes some valid points, to me it is a bit confusing, because it is all over the place and a very one-sided take.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Ah, sorry no. She's entitled to her opinion, and she is allowed to voice them. I just think that an individual who is aware of her past may be apprehensive in believing her.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Change this thread title. This is good shit. Get a good translation.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Djokovic broke the rules by lying in his visa application, period. It doesn't matter if it was filled by his assistant or his great grandma. Still , if you delegate something to be done for you and a mistake is found, it's YOU the one responsible for it because the person filling it out was under you🤷‍♂️
You clearly didn’t read OP.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yes, exceptional security pedants. That's why thoughts like Novak got a visa, or went to Australia, or even faked his Covid test are weird to me. These people have laws, that's right. That's why there are commissions that review all documents without listing the names of the players so that there is no subconscious influence and favoritism on the part of reviewers of the documentation. Politics has always, absolutely always, been involved in big sports. Sport at such a high level cannot but be linked to politics. Great athletes have a huge impact on thousands, millions, people. You are more likely to know an athlete from a country than its minister. At a time when freedom of speech is becoming limited, social networks are supposed to give full freedom, but censorship is greater than ever, to think that this is just a sport and has nothing to do with politics is, to put it mildly, naïve
this has never been weird to me and I think she’s being nice here. People are lab rats programmed by MSM Some of the stuff I’ve read this past week has been preposterous.

and of course it’s by the same people who called the vaccine hesitant conspiracy theorist.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Rather ignorant of you.
“I’m for the truth no matter who tells it”. she’s more credible than 99%of the posters here as we may have some former pro’s on TF.

·
La nuit je mens
92,413 Posts
Call her doper or whatever you want, but she is right and you don't have logic arguments to contradict her that's why you insult her or maybe you can set her fire like in the Middle Ages, after all she is defending an unvaccinated person...
Ya'll antivax are so extra.

·
Registered
435 Posts
There are two issues here, one major, one minor.

1) The major issue. The ATP and WTA tour are international competition and they are open. That is where the term "Open Era" comes from. Being open means everybody can play. Being an international competition and open means visa application is an issue. Different countries have different visa requirements and the job of ATP and WTA is to ensure visa applications are successful for all players. That is where the selection of location comes in. ATP and WTA has to ensure the locations they hold their tournaments will issue visas for all players. If not, ATP and WTA have no choice but to change location to where this is true. For example, if Roland Garros is held in France, ATP and WTA have to ensure France will issue visas for all players. Otherwise, Roland Garros will be held somewhere else where visas can be issued for all players. The same is true for Wimbledon. The same is true for US Open. The problem with Australian Open is ATP and WTA did not do that. Australia does not issue visas for all players. ATP and WTA should tell Australia that if it does not issue visas for all players, ATP and WTA will move to somewhere else.

2) The minor issue. Clerical errors happen all the time on visa application. Correct it and the visa is issued. No big deal.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.