Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the 1980 Wimbledon final on YouTube and noticed evonne was still serving with two balls in hand. Was she the last person to win a gs doing so? Or did Hana do the same over the following year? I don't recall Martina doing this even in 1978 at W but I could be wrong?

·
agradecería con alegría que me comierais la ñocla.
17,776 Posts
You mean serving and keeping a ball in hand? Graf did so throughout her career. Actually, I think she was the last player to serve that way.

Unless you are talking about keeping TWO balls in hand after the first serve :lol:

·
25,282 Posts
You mean serving and keeping a ball in hand? Graf did so throughout her career. Actually, I think she was the last player to serve that way.
Cool:)

Didn't realize that. Like Mark I thought went out of style in the 1970s.

I love Chris Evert, but hr early habit of tossing the second ball behind her was downright annoying:lol:

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Cool:)

Didn't realize that. Like Mark I thought went out of style in the 1970s.

I love Chris Evert, but hr early habit of tossing the second ball behind her was downright annoying:lol:
:lol: So true. And that poster superstition thought that it was accidentally dropped from her panties. :lol:

·
25,282 Posts
So true. And that poster superstition thought that it was accidentally dropped from her panties. :lol:
That one gave me a good laugh Sam-thanks!

Another story about balls in the hand from Ted Tinling. Back in his heydey Bill Tilden held 5 balls in his non serving hand. When he was on "Big" Bill would then proceed to smack dramatically smack down four aces to win the game-then casually toss the 5th ball away.

Talk about Big hands!

·
Registered
9,514 Posts

Unless you are talking about keeping TWO balls in hand after the first serve :lol:
Steffi's last Slam win holding both balls was the 1990 AO. Gaby also held both balls for a while, but I think she stopped somewhere before the 1990 USO.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Oh wow, so it was an entire decade later? Did Hana use two balls in 80/81?
Don't think so. All the Youtube clips show her taking one ball at a time.

Steffi and Gaby were anachronisms, and there was some amusement when they were kids showing up on tour with the same out-dated "Ball kids? What are ball kids?" style.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
That one gave me a good laugh Sam-thanks!

Another story about balls in the hand from Ted Tinling. Back in his heydey Bill Tilden held 5 balls in his non serving hand. When he was on "Big" Bill would then proceed to smack dramatically smack down four aces to win the game-then casually toss the 5th ball away.

Talk about Big hands!
Mansour Bahrami has a similar schtick, played for laughs, not aces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARAD_MFRyUI at about the 2:29 mark, you can see how he holds them. Can't find a clip that shows the toss, but it is played for laughs. Bahrami is GOAT! :lol:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Steffi's last Slam win holding both balls was the 1990 AO. Gaby also held both balls for a while, but I think she stopped somewhere before the 1990 USO.
Yeah, both Steffi and Gaby hold the second ball on the left hand after hitting a first serve. I even think they both stopped doing it pretty much the same time,around 1990. It's funny to me how many things linked them to each other.

·
17,776 Posts
Oops, my bad, I remember as a kid watching old footage of Graf's and for some reason I remember wondering about the ball issue but I must have mixed them up and I never paid further attention :lol:

So it's either Graf or Sabatini the last one to do so?

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Oops, my bad, I remember as a kid watching old footage of Graf's and for some reason I remember wondering about the ball issue but I must have mixed them up and I never paid further attention :lol:

It was Steffi at the 1990 AO. They were both only holding one ball in the 1990 USO final. Pretty sure Steffi stopped after 1990 Wimbledon, not sure about Gaby. The last holdouts!

·
25,282 Posts
How long did Sanchez-Vicario have the ball holder thingie? Or is my memory wrong here?

At times I bet ball bots/girls wish Conchita Martinez held two balls at a time. she always wanted the same ball back when she won the point with it!

·
Banned
162 Posts
I remember Chris in the 73 Roland Garros final with Court dropping the other ball after many serves. It was crazy. Graf in her youth would hold the ball in the other hand each point.

·
17,776 Posts
How long did Sanchez-Vicario have the ball holder thingie? Or is my memory wrong here?

At times I bet ball bots/girls wish Conchita Martinez held two balls at a time. she always wanted the same ball back when she won the point with it!
I think that Arantxa used the holder thingie whenever she felt like doing so, which means she could use it at a random tournament and the stop for months, lol. I also remember reading an interview where she or someone else claimed that she had invented the thing, something about which I'm not sure. What I do recall is seeing Hingis using it maybe during 1996 and maybe 1997 and I recently saw a teenage girl using it in a 10K tournament that was streamed, though I remember neither the tournament nor the girl.

Conchita's always been quite religious but more in the convenient way, not that she ever thought deeply about it. It was something she was raised into but never chose to question. She used that approach to the court since she played by instinct and her mannerisms responded to that, aswell. One could write a whole book about Pierce's habits before serving but Conchita wouldn't be that far and could produce a whole collection herself. Bouncing the ball a certain number of times, then looking across the net, adjusting her headband and her tennis shirt (I refuse to call that black and white Kappa thing she used for more than three years a t-shirt), then she kept on bouncing it until she was ready to kind of underslice that ball that raised some centimeters to her right after she threw it in the air, especially later in her career when she just couldn't serve properly anymore. The "I want the same ball" habit started quite late in her career, when she became more and more superstitious and added the "I'm not stepping on the lines" thing. I can't recall the exact year. For some reason 2000 sticks as it. During that year Conchita became the ultimate moonballer and used that strategy to its biggest degree, but I think the ball thing started a bit later than that.

Someone uploaded a video of her match against Sabatini at Melbourne in 1989. You should just compare that Conchita with her fifteen year older version :lol:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Conchita! Zzzzzzz. I love the fact that grande dame Martina says she regrets losing the 1994 Wimbledon final to her since CM did nothing of significance thereafter and it seemed to irk the hell out of her. :fiery:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So after a boozy late lunch with a childhood galpal, I decided to do some quick research before an afternoon nap...
In the '90 USO final Graf was still serving with two balls, but gaby only one. Fast forward to the next slam and during the '91 ASO thriller betwixt Graf and Jana, steffi was now serving with only one ball at a time. So steffi stopped holding two balls at some point that fall/winter? Does anyone have any footage of the '90 VSC semifinal where gaby beat a gassy steffi, who was sputtering about breaking wind whilst gaby stormed the net fearlessly avoiding the toxic noirve clouds...:eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts