Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 8 games played, (4 service games) she has 19 of 20 first serves in play, winning 15 of those 19 points.

She needs that. She would not have lost to Sharapova or Jankovic with serving like that.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
She has the patches of great play and poor play - she just needs to work on the consistency and keep up her level.

·
King
28,896 Posts
Wickmayer has some game :eek: she hits the ball pretty hard and is swinging freely, Vee is too good right now though ;)

·
Registered
24,266 Posts
In 8 games played, (4 service games) she has 19 of 20 first serves in play, winning 15 of those 19 points.

She needs that. She would not have lost to Sharapova or Jankovic with serving like that.
Sharapova and Jankovic are in another league than this competition. points percentage won is really irrelevant. When you play a big returner, it makes the difference. Venus also isn't the most consistent either. She could easily follow that set up with 40% serving, 5 double faults and a 55% conversion rate on first serves.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Sharapova and Jankovic are in another league than this competition. points percentage won is really irrelevant. When you play a big returner, it makes the difference. Venus also isn't the most consistent either. She could easily follow that set up with 40% serving, 5 double faults and a 55% conversion rate on first serves.
Agreed - its more mental with her.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
1st serve 78%
pts. won 82%
2nd serve 73%
pts. won 38%

0 Ace's
3 DF's

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
After this fedcup with zina expect only top form consitent serving from Venus....*hoping/praying/dreaming/praying a bit more/and a little more praying....*

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
After this fedcup with zina expect only top form consitent serving from Venus....*hoping/praying/dreaming/praying a bit more/and a little more praying....*
She'll still have some df's
but, it'll be much better.

Watch. :cool:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
She'll still have some df's
but, it'll be much better.

Watch. :cool:
Ohh I didn't see the double faults, but still I think Vee having so much fun out there and working with Zina is bound to have some positive effect. I just hope it's very soon that she returns to her top form, but as Venus said - patience. So I guess I'll just have to be patient:angel: :angel:

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Venus needs to be more consistent. Exactly. Had she served like this against either Sharapova or Jankovic, she probably would have won. Her losses this year, she's had bad serving days.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
It's easy to be confident with your serve when you're playing what is basically an unknown club level player.
What I think also... She had no pressure in that match. Against any top players, it's a lot tougher to serve great...

·
Rena's Army
35,209 Posts
can't say there really is no pressure....pressure was there in the form that she had to win and win convincingly against these relative unknowns....that's still pressure.....she couldn't lose....imagine if she had even lost a set?? the uproar....just because it's not a big player doesn't mean there isn't pressure

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
can't say there really is no pressure....pressure was there in the form that she had to win and win convincingly against these relative unknowns....that's still pressure.....she couldn't lose....imagine if she had even lost a set?? the uproar....just because it's not a big player doesn't mean there isn't pressure
You're joking, right? This was a dead rubber against a 17-year-old kid ranked #422. Venus will never, repeat, NEVER have less pressure on her in a tennis match as long as she lives.

·
Rena's Army
35,209 Posts
again....that also equates pressure....not GS type pressure but even losing more than a handful of games is the expectation and with expectations comes pressure....think of all the matches that haven't meant anything but because people lost them people were on their backs....if Venus had lost this rubber...dead or not....and played poorly there would have been negative statements made....because there is expectation....

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Come on, she had NO pressure on her.
It's like you playing a two year old.

V should not have lost three games, though, unless she was just experimenting with strokes, grips, etc...

·
Rena's Army
35,209 Posts
see even you say Venus shouldn't have lost 3 games...let's see you go play fed cup against someone EVERYONE says you should beat in no more than an hour and then tell me that there isn't some amount of pressure...AGAIN....just because it's not a GS or a regular tournie doesn't equate no pressure....

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
see even you say Venus shouldn't have lost 3 games...let's see you go play fed cup against someone EVERYONE says you should beat in no more than an hour and then tell me that there isn't some amount of pressure...AGAIN....just because it's not a GS or a regular tournie doesn't equate no pressure....
You're not joking..... :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts