Tennis Forum banner

Will you watch the final on Saturday or not?

• I'm still going to watch the final

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I'm not going to watch the final because of today

Votes: 11 15.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Williams fan and yes what happened today DID suck majorly but I'm still going to watch on Saturday, hope for an exciting match and be happy for whoever wins their first slam event. At the end of the day it's just tennis and I'm not going to get my brain all twisted over this. What about you? Will you boycott the final or not?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Seriously now. It's going to be the first grand slam final I've actually felt excited about since Australia 2001.

Boycotting? Ooooh. That'll send them a message :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
yes why not? :)

if I would not watch because of the crowd then I had not watched since years anymore

and the us open neither anymore.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Why should I boycott the final?
I´ve got nothing against Serena and Venus, but I´m glad to see a grand slam final with other players after four Williams-Finals in a row.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,031 Posts
I don't know, but now it definitely slips down on my priority list. I have a lot of things to do on Saturday, so I might just opt for something moer important or exciting.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
No reason not to, since both Clijsters and Henin had nothing to do with the events of today. Serena has simply been awakened to the fickle nature of the French public - one minute they're lauding your champion qualities, the next they unite in a mob of hatred. It happened to Hingis, it's happened to her (although I doubt it'll become a recurring dislike as it did with Hingis for years afterwards).

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Right now... I don't think I'll watch... because the French crowd has no one to boo. ;)

errr... I might change my mind... the pleasure of Justine getting her ass kicked my make me feel a little bit better about what went down today. GO KIM! :bounce:

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,031 Posts
Though, it gets amusing now, because one of these chokers will now have to win it, even if they both choke this time..

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hmm... judging by several posts around here, it would seem that many disgruntled Williams fans are going to tune in just to get a little schadenfreude out of seeing Clijsters thrash the woman who dared to dethrone their hero. I hope for a more equal contest (even though I'm split over who to support; Henin is more deserving of the title but I wouldn't want Clijsters to lose two RG finals in three years).

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
LMAO!!!

"Still" watch? This is the final I wanted all along. I'm for sure going to watch it all. I have had zero interest in the last few Slam women's final. This is bliss.

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
was the crowd THAT bad -I didn't see the match---was it worse than Indian Wells :eek: ? I will watch because i am a tennis fan and i like Kim and I have been saying ever since OZ that she will win RG 03. It will be great for either one of course- their dreams will be coming true not any of ours...so guys lighten up...

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,031 Posts
Well, no, I decided. I won't watch it live. I will just tape it. I am not that interested to be that impatient not to wait few hours, before I am done with now more important things. And when it is taped, I'll be able to fast-forward all stupid NBC commercials..

I wonder though, if I am receiving NBC signal ( i.e., if my cable receiver is set to their channel ), but my TV is off, do I still contribute to their ratings?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,950 Posts
yes bajangurl...it was bad. ugly to watch and it was a sad day for tennis.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you haven't tallied up the posts. That's 3 times 'ys has told us she won't be.

I'll counteract that by saying yes I will be watching ;)

one more time...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I'm ALL BEHIND Kimmie now. She's got class and she's sweet. I hope she serves Justine some bagels. I want Kim to OWN her again!!! COME ON KIM!!!

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Yup, going to watch.....

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Out of interest, does ys support any player, either female or male? I've seen no sign either here or in the men's forum that he (I think it's he) has any regard for a player of any description.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The number of Williams fans who have suddenly become converts to the Cult of Clijsters really is astonishing, LOL...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Today's fan reaction is being blown way out of proportion.

The fans at RG have been much worse at other times, specially in '99 against Hingis, when they started booing her the very first time she questioned a line call.

It seems beating Mauresmo in one of the earlier rounds is not the way to endear yourself to French tennis fans.

But don't forget, they also booed Pierce loudly when she didn't do well there.

I like France very much, but at times their tennis fans leave something to be desired.

But anyone who blames Serena's loss on the crowd has to be either dreaming, of assuming that Serena has no capacity for adversity. Almost any Davis Cup match features much more rowdy crowds and people just lean to live with it.

Serena lost because Juju outplayed her, pure and simple. People can make up all the excuses they want,but Serena simply didn't have it today.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts