Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, does Clijsters have a chance at #1 this year?

Check this out:

Serena's defending/adding until after US Open:
-Winner Rome
-Winner Roland Garros [will lose points regardless]
-Winner Wimbledon [may not lose, but it will be tough, as she beat #1 last year]
-ADDING Stanford, as far as we know
-QF LA [will add]
-DNP Canada [will add]
-Winner US Open

Clijsters
-SF in Rome [can add]
-3rd in Paris [will add--probably a lot]
-QF in Grass warm up [may not play? not sure...will add if she does]
-2nd in Wimbledon [will add]
-Finals in Stanford [may not add]
-QF in San Diego [probably will add]
-2nd in LA [will add]
-3rd in Canada [will add]
-4th in US Open [will add]

While Kim's played so much more, she has MUCH more room to improve. We all know that the chances of Serena adding any more events are slim to none...

I am beginning to think that Kim has a good chance at #1 by US Open, assuming she does well at the majors...and I see no reason why she wouldn't.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
I would love to see her to be the new no.1, but she got to train more, and perform better against the Williams, be more mentally strong.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You are right tennisIlove, Kim has a chance but it will probably depend on RG and Wimbledon. If Serena can defend these titles then she'll probably be safe.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
I also believe it is possible. If she wins one slam then it will most likely be a definite coz she plays a full schedule. Without crunching the numbers she could possibly make it if she does well in all the other tournys even if she doesn't win a slam. Unless of course Serena won two more slams then it may be a big ask. Lindsay ended the year 2001 at no.1 without even making to a slam final!

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
maybe it'll happen ... but even with her scant schedule, Serena has still amassed more points on the year than Kim. Kim would have to do it the old-fashioned way.... by being the better player.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Clijsters would to win like 15 or 14 out of her best 17 and be making it to the SF of all the slams or better

I think right now if anyone will over take Serena it will be Venus

and that wouldn't be untill after the Us Open

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
I don't know if it's possible. ... Her game on clay isn't there yet and on grass she doesn't have that great results .. so I don't know ... and I don't think Serena will let this happen ;)

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
She'll get it. She plays much more than Serena.. and Kim's form is better than last year.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
i'm sure serena wouldn't want that. and we know that if serena sets a goal, most likely she can do it. she's far too confident and consistent.

·
Team WTAworld, canis sapiens sapiens
4,495 Posts
I know you meant can. It was just a reaction to what I read sometimes:
"Hingis was n°1 because the opposition was weak"
"Serena is n°1 because she doesn't play a lot of tournaments. If she played a full year, she wouldn't be. Plus she's only strong physically."
Now "Kim won't be a real n°1 unless she beats the Williams in a Grand Slam". What's next? Should she beat them playing left handed?

None of these girls bought their points at the supermarket (at that line of Thomas :D). If Clijsters becomes number one, she'll have earned it as rightfully as the others.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Kim will have to win a slam for that to happen. I'd be satisfied if she is established at number 2 going into the US Open.

And just for the record Kim is playing Rosmalen as her warm up to Wimbly.

And why does everyone say Kim is no good on grass, she did fine in 2001 and in 2002 couldn't train and couldn't even lift her arm up sufficiently to practice the day after her match, so I think her results last year are irrelevant. Don't forget in 1999 it was at Wimbly she made her GS debut and made the 4th round.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
None of these girls bought their points at the supermarket (at that line of Thomas :d). If Clijsters become number one, she'll have earned it as rightfully as the others.
I agree with you 100% :)

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
"Serena is n°1 because she doesn't play a lot of tournaments. If she played a full year, she wouldn't be. Plus she's only strong physically."

LOL...The fact that Serena has what 3 or 4 zeros factored into her points, and is still a couple thousand points ahead of the pack does not bode well for anyone catching her this year. Factor in 3 zeros into Kim's points, would she even be in the top ten?

Kim number one? Sorry not gonna happen this year.

Reactions: CanIGetAWhat

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Seriously, does Clijsters have a chance at #1 this year?

Check this out:

Serena's defending/adding until after US Open:
-Winner Rome
-Winner Roland Garros [will lose points regardless]
-Winner Wimbledon [may not lose, but it will be tough, as she beat #1 last year]
-ADDING Stanford, as far as we know
-QF LA [will add]
-DNP Canada [will add]
-Winner US Open

Clijsters
-SF in Rome [can add]
-3rd in Paris [will add--probably a lot]
-QF in Grass warm up [may not play? not sure...will add if she does]
-2nd in Wimbledon [will add]
-Finals in Stanford [may not add]
-QF in San Diego [probably will add]
-2nd in LA [will add]
-3rd in Canada [will add]
-4th in US Open [will add]

While Kim's played so much more, she has MUCH more room to improve. We all know that the chances of Serena adding any more events are slim to none...

I am beginning to think that Kim has a good chance at #1 by US Open, assuming she does well at the majors...and I see no reason why she wouldn't.
She can get to number one, but will she win a slam?
The ranking means nothing when we talk about slams, she can become the next Martina Hingis (2000-2001)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts