1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Hi dh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Lindsay doesn't play OZ, Monica is #8 seed right?

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Wow, the person that asked the question about Schiavone is from my town near Philly (Phoenixville) and it's pretty small town, i'm surprised i've never heard of him

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Spicebrain?? is that you?? try to guess who this is... ;)

As for Werthless, I find him too biased. I was surprise, he actually went easy on Kournikova this week but he is still too biased for me to take him all that seriously.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
What's annoying is that he never admits when he was wrong.

So at the end of last year he said "monica is at a different (lower) level from Clijsters and Capriati" -- conveniently forgetting that she had a winning record against both players in 2001.
If Jen and Kim are contenders, so is Monica.
Now she's beaten Clijsters, but he'll never acknowledge it.
and if she beats Jen at the Ao, but loses in the semis/finals, he'll never give any credit, just say, see I was right.
I hope she wins the AO if for no other reason than to shut him up.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
His comments were on the mark as pertaining to Monica Seles' chances of winning in Melbourne. An immediate Middle East peace agreement is frankly more imminent. And I don't see him making any claims of being unbiased, nor would I want him to be.

Wertheim is not heating the wires as a news reporter for Associated Press. He's paid a decent buck to act jocular and opinionated. And that he does, although occasionally a tad contrived.

Ranking Seles on a lower level than Clijsters might be an example of this.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I think I've had enough of this guy!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
What have Steffi fans to do with werthless crap?:confused: <P>and if you think only Steffi fans are saying Monica is finished than you never heard of self called Monica fan ryles;)

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I'm saying irma is despite a thousand protestations by him to the contrary, the guy has it in for Monica. You have to wonder why, and the next logical step is to see who he does like. Being a Steffi fan can certainly be a motivation for disliking Monica, (Or vice versa), and he's certainly never made any secret that he is that.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And Volcana, it certainly must mean that unless Jelena Dokic decides to jump back in. Not the prettiest way to get in, but it should make it relatively easy for Monica to at least match last years result. Not that I will be satisfied with that.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
I don't realyl think he hates Monica -
he has said himself before that it would be great if she could win another slam - he just doesn't think she will.

He's entitled to that opinion.

Of course he is biased - I challenge anyone to write a non biased tennis column - you can't! You can't express your opinion, without having some bias. Thats just how it.

Mind you, if he started bagging on my faves all the time I might hop on the "wethless" wagon and agree with you all :D

But for the most part he says reasonable things about my faves (heck, sometimes he even makes unrealistic predictions about them :D ).

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
I know it's probably impossible to write without bias but Werthless is a little TOO biased. Players he doesn't like, he puts them down whenever possible and dumbs down their results. Player he loves, he overexaggerates about them. An example would be in his book where he claims Anna K got to #8 in 2000 by playing smaller tournaments and then he goes on to talk about Lisa Raymond's "incredible" run to the Wimbledon quarterfinals. For the record though, out of 26 events Anna played in 2000, she only played one Tier III, the rest were Tier II, Tier I, Grand Slams and the year-end champs. Had one of his favorites given Anna's 2000 performance, it would have been commended. Then, if you look at who Lisa Raymond had to beat to get to the Wimbledon quarterfinal... Jana Nejedly, Jana Kandarr, Sonya Jeyaseelan, Olga Barabanschikova.. neither ranked in the top 50 at the time. Had Anna (or any of the players he dislikes) done this, he would have pointed this out right away.

So, in short, I understand there will be bias by a tennis columnist to a certain extent, but I feel it's not acceptable when he dumbs down one's results, and blows up another's.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
For most of the times, I quite enjoy his column, but when he start talking about Monica and Anna, it just piss me off big time, coz he will uncharacteristically get all the facts wrong about this two players and criticize them like nothing else, I really interested in knowing what Monica has done to his life before to make him so piss with her

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
Well in fact he is right about his comments unless Monica can shut up all tennis experts by Winning a Grand Slam.... she last reached final at 98 FO losing to Arantxa... but the field is greater nowadays, i think this year might be the last year for Seles to take a shot at a Grand Slam and win it.

Problem for Seles against the likes of Venus,Serena, Davenport is that she is too slow on the court to take her big swings at them.

Maybe Hingis, Jennifer , Henin, Clijsters can hit the ball hard... especially the last three, but still they can give Monica an extra second to prepare for the shot mostly...... Where Lindsay, Serena, Venus will be pushing her to the run from the first shot while they are serving and in Monica`s second serves.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Being a commentator is all about bias - that's the whole point of it. He's not that great a columnist - what is with the damn baseball references creeping in every week? and the dumb-ass movie questions? - but his opinions are valid. And regarding his comments on Monica, do you really consider her likely to win the AO? Of course it *might* happen, but so might a lot of things, and if you keep hedging your bets - 'she's unlikely to win, but there's always a chance and she's been a great champion' - you make a piss-poor journalist. If I was in his position and had to make a judgment regarding Monica's Slam chances, I'd probably say the same as him (even though she - like all other 127 players - can't be utterly ruled out). And frankly, I'd be more surprised if Monica won the AO than Kim, even if Monica owns Kim.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I hate this man! He not only dissed Monica but also Mariah and I love Mariah! She's the best and everybody: Don't believe all the strange rumors you hear lately: Mariah is just doing fine, she's out of da hospital for months, shot 2 video's already and will NOT leave Virgin! Phew, I just had to say that :);)

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts