Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one she wanted to wear was rejected by the Wimbledon officials? I thought that's what they said on TV today? :confused: I can't imagine why it would be rejected?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,233 Posts
any pics? (that sounds familiar :lol: )

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
she said she wouldnt describe it :sad:

i want some sketches, dammit

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Wasn't it the two piece? Isn't that the only other portion of her ensemble she had? I have to look at her Nike site to make sure.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I have no idea. The skirt seemed the same length wise as the dress, it was just a tank and skirt combo. Those were the only two, the dress/tank-skirt combo, for her london portion of the Nike site.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Fashion Tests the Rules © Getty Images Thursday, July 1, 2004if(isIE){document.write('/images/misc/trans.gif/images/misc/trans.gif');}

The world of Wimbledon tennis fashion has evolved rapidly since 1927 when the first "stockingless" woman competed at The Championships.

Hipster hot-pants, skirts split to the hip, and three-inch earrings have all made an appearance at SW19 this year, as the players push the boundaries set by a tournament considered the most "reserved" of all Grand Slams.

In 1963, the AELTC introduced a predominately white tennis clothing rule. Thirty-two years later this was updated to read "almost entirely white" as clothing manufacturers began experimenting with a rainbow of colours. These days, design leads the way for fashion at The Championships, with a handful of accessories thrown into the mix.

Last year Venus Williams caused a stir when she stepped on court to play her first match in a dress that would have looked just as good teamed with a pair of strappy heels.

This year she did the same again, wearing another creation from fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg. “It's a new outfit. It's kind of more reminiscent of evening wear than tennis wear,” Venus said. “It's really comfortable, really fun, really elegant. I love the hemline. It's definitely what's going on this summer. I guess I'm just in fashion.”

Sister Serena’s slashed outfit also attracted comment. Some described it as Pocahontas-inspired, others said it looked like it had been through a paper shredder. The opinions are unlikely to bother the American who is launching a new fashion line called Aneres – Serena spelt backwards.

“I think it's important for me because I think I've always been a fashion innovator, especially on the tennis court,” said the woman famously known for bringing that sexy cat-suit into the women’s game.

Smiling she said: “I should bring that back, that was a popular hit.” However, the budding designer said she is limited at Wimbledon by the dress code. “I had something really, really super sexy, but they wouldn’t let me wear it. I won’t describe it, maybe they’ll let me wear it next year.”

And sexy certainly seems to be the style taken forward by the younger girls on the circuit. Hipster hot-pants adorned the rear end of 16-year-old French player Tatiana Golovin, while Maria Sharapova competed in an asymmetric split to the hip ensemble, teamed with shortest of shorts.

Huge drop-down earrings could also be found gracing the earlobes of the Russian, as well as both the Williams’ sisters, while Mark Philippoussis and Arnaud Clement sported large bandanas to keep their unruly mops of hair at bay.

The more conservative might well think Wimbledon is relaxing its standards, judging by the appearance of some competitors, but as 17-year-old Katerina Bondarenko will testify, this is not true. While she was knocking-up for her second round girls' singles match, she was summoned to the umpire’s chair and questioned over her dress. It had an intricate orange web-effect motif across the top part of the back.

Even though she had worn the dress in the previous match, the umpire called an official who promptly arrived at the court and carried out an inspection. But it received the thumbs-up and the Ukrainian was allowed to play in her outfit. Whoever said standards were slipping?

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2004-07-01/200407011088697352194.html

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
omigod, ugh! I love Rena and all, but why do these girls feel the need to wear skimpy clothes on the court? You can see Serena's ass--Tati's love handles, and I love them both, i really do, but... it's unnecessary--save it for the clubs. Girls shouldn't feel the need to do that in such a basic atmosphere

I think you can achieve sexiness and still keep it understated and simple, like Anna K, she never went over the top. She never even went as far as a little cocktail dress. Maybe it is just because she looks good in anything

·
Banned
3,087 Posts
BambooDragon said:
I have no idea. The skirt seemed the same length wise as the dress, it was just a tank and skirt combo. Those were the only two, the dress/tank-skirt combo, for her london portion of the Nike site.
Where did you see it Bamboo? Do you have a link?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
We are talking about the Ball Gown for the Champions aren't we.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
No problem :)

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
well the one she is wearing now still ooks ridiculous :rolleyes: it looks like she's just got scissors and cut the bottom half of it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
TakeMeAway said:
i think it looks great and the slits on the skirt make it blow up nicely in the wind etc and gives a great feminin touch.
Hum, well, it didn't make me get in touch with my feminin side :haha:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts