Tennis Forum banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I mean, we can predict all we want. But neither of us will know the answer until all is said and done. If Serena wins a major by only playing a single warm-up, then kudos to her for knowing her level of play. But if she plays another year and doesn’t win a title, it’ll leave a bitter taste in my mouth that she didn’t do more while she could.

I’m not asking her to play 20 tournaments in a year. Asking her to keep training and to take advantage of a huge opportunity she has in front of her (playing one extra tourney and the YEC, playing the top 8, not getting rusty in the offseason, working on her nerves) isn’t too much to ask in my book. She would have all of December and half of January to recoup. No 38 year old athlete can just disappear from competition for four months and expect to just pick up where they left off. I get that she’s trying to preserve her body but her window of opportunity is closing if she doesn’t get a handle on these nerves. With each passing loss, these girls are becoming more confident in their ability to upset Serena.
I just honestly don't think she can do it. And if it would help her win a major she would. So undoubtedly it doesn't. That's the point. We saw what happened to her at the Canadian Open. That was one single tournament. When you're 38 and an athlete with bad former injuries, you body doesn't always work all the time.

·
Keeper of Secrets
8,914 Posts
I really hope if Serena qualifies for the YEC then she plays. I really believe it will help with her nerves. Serena hasn't had many wins against the top 10 in the last 18 months.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I really hope if Serena qualifies for the YEC then she plays. I really believe it will help with her nerves. Serena hasn't had many wins against the top 10 in the last 18 months.
Same here, I really want her to play against the best of the tour this year, but it appears Bencic will qualify.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Same here, I really want her to play against the best of the tour this year, but it appears Bencic will qualify.
The funny thing is, her playing would be such a win-win for her, it’s ridiculous.

If she wins, she instills some fear in these newer girls who don’t see her as a threat anymore and who have made her their pigeon in finals recently.

If she loses, she gets this notion that she’s expected to win out of her system and she goes into tournaments as the underdog, which has always served Serena well.

If she doesn’t play, things stay the same and she has to hope she finds herself during the final once more. Nerves build up and I can’t see it getting any easier.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts
The biggest positive is that she'd be hitting/training for the next 2 weeks and wouldn't have to cram 3 months worth of work into her December training block. :lol::eek: It would be nice if she began her December block with a decent level of fitness, rather than spending those weeks trying to build up to a decent level.

I still don't expect her to play Shenzhen, but I'd like to see her stay in that #8 spot and be able to make her own decision. Hopefully Mladenovic will win tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The biggest positive is that she'd be hitting/training for the next 2 weeks and wouldn't have to cram 3 months worth of work into her December training block. :lol::eek: It would be nice if she began her December block with a decent level of fitness, rather than spending those weeks trying to build up to a decent level.

I still don't expect her to play Shenzhen, but I'd like to see her stay in that #8 spot and be able to make her own decision. Hopefully Mladenovic will win tomorrow.
Wish she would have showed up at one of the last two tourneys to gain some traction, if she was so serious.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
So this will likely be her 2020 schedule

Auckland
Australian Open
Indian Wells
Miami
Rome
French Open
Wimbledon
Olympics
Cincinnati
US Open
WTA Championships

I would love her to play and win Dubai

·
Registered
84,949 Posts
So this will likely be her 2020 schedule

Auckland
Australian Open
Indian Wells
Miami
Rome
French Open
Wimbledon
Olympics
Cincinnati
US Open
WTA Championships

I would love her to play and win Dubai
corrected and agree

·
Registered
53,510 Posts
YEC

#1 Barty
#2 Karo Pliskova
#3 Osaka
#4 Halep
#5 Andreescu
#6 Kvitova
#7 Svitolina
#8 Bencic

Alt
#9 Serena
#10 Bertens

I doubt that Serena will travel to YEC as an Alt :lol:

So her next tournament will be in NZL or Australia in 2020 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I’m taking 2020 one tournament at a time. As they come in. I’m not looking beyond whatever tournament she will be in at the moment. I have to save up my energy resources.

·
Keeper of Secrets
8,914 Posts
I'm disappointed Serena didn't play anything in the fall and if chokes again in another final next year , then Serena has herself to blame.

On the other hand if Serena wins AO I'll shut my mouth and eat crow and be loving it.

Looking forward to 2020!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
I really think that playing Doubles/Mixed Doubles at the Grand Slams would be beneficial but only if she is fully fit otherwise just play Singles I am only interested in the Grand Slams not bothered about the Tokyo Olympics she has the Singles & Doubles Gold Medal only Mixed Doubles Gold missing which would be nice but Grand Slams are what is important.

·
Registered
53,510 Posts
Serena played only 8 tournaments in 2019 :lol:

https://www.wtatennis.com/players/230234/serena-williams/matches

Aus Open (lost in QF to Karo Pliskova)
Indian Wells (retired in R2 vs Muguruza)
Miami (walkover in R2 to Q. Wang)
Rome (walkover in R2 to Venus)
French Open (lost in R3 to Kenin)
Wimbledon (lost in final to Halep)
Toronto (retired in final vs Andreescu)
US Open (lost in final to Andreescu)

I guess she will play the same + Olympics in 2020 :p
To be honest I am not sure if she will really play Auckland ...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #175

9 if you include the Hopman Cup (Round Robin won all 3 singles matches and lost all 3 Mixed Doubles)

·
Registered
84,949 Posts

Williams family is friend with tournament director..she will be there..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Isn't it too risky to play just 8 tournaments a year...?

I even think she may plan to skip the clay-court season next year (if injuries ever show up again....). Or skip the Olympics....

·
Registered
84,949 Posts

·
Registered
84,949 Posts
Serena will play an Exho in Copenhagen in May vs. Caroline. It is Caros farewell match for her danish fans..it will be very emotional...

161 - 180 of 186 Posts