Registered
7,978 Posts

·
Registered
84,950 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks, such a shame. I thought she might have played as she normally announces soon after the US Open she is done for the year. Well with Bertens loss today she is currently 7th in the race. Svitolina will almost definitely go past Serena as she’s in good form. So that leaves bench, bertens and Serena fighting for the 8th spot. They will both more than likely get ahead of Serena as they are both playing Beijing and bencic playing Linz and Bertens Moscow but they have to win matches to get there so we will see.

A huge opportunity missed by Serena though. Had she played Beijing she would more than likely qualified. Playing YEC is a best case scenario as she gets to play all the girls who have beaten her and get used to how they play. Plus no pressure and a full on her ranking for the following year...

·
Registered
84,950 Posts
Thanks, such a shame. I thought she might have played as she normally announces soon after the US Open she is done for the year. Well with Bertens loss today she is currently 7th in the race. Svitolina will almost definitely go past Serena as she’s in good form. So that leaves bench, bertens and Serena fighting for the 8th spot. They will both more than likely get ahead of Serena as they are both playing Beijing and bencic playing Linz and Bertens Moscow but they have to win matches to get there so we will see.

A huge opportunity missed by Serena though. Had she played Beijing she would more than likely qualified. Playing YEC is a best case scenario as she gets to play all the girls who have beaten her and get used to how they play. Plus no pressure and a full on her ranking for the following year...
An official source still missed. On HP of China Open she is still in :confused:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Venus and the other girls post pics from China’s Open....Serena posts videos of her photo shoot number 749645 of the year. ?‍♀

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Would be nice to see her play at least one fall tournament. I wish her year wasn't so centered around the slams, but it is what it is at this point.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts
Is the season over for Serena?
99.9%, yes. :lol: She isn't practicing, is likely to fall out of the top 8 in the YEC Race, and is still signed up to headline a Forbes event in Detroit during YEC week anyway. I don't think she'll play Shenzhen even if she qualifies.

Though I'm still refreshing that Forbes link daily to see if her name will disappear from the list of speakers. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I just can’t believe Patrick hasn’t sat her down and gave her the hard truth that she’s sabotaging herself by not playing/winning smaller tournaments before a slam. The YEC is big enough to give her some pressure and practice against the best of the best without over exerting her.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just can’t believe Patrick hasn’t sat her down and gave her the hard truth that she’s sabotaging herself by not playing/winning smaller tournaments before a slam. The YEC is big enough to give her some pressure and practice against the best of the best without over exerting her.
She's 37, very banged up after the US Open and had a ton of injuries in her life. There is no use hurting your body with something like the YEC when majors are the only thing you really want at the end of your career. She was clearly hurting at the end in the Canadian Open Semis, but still gave it a go in the finals. Not worth it anymore at all. If she plays something like the YEC, that actually decreases your chances to win at the majors. The body simply can't bounce back at that age, and with all the previous injuries that start to ache. And she is playing Auckland, so expect that to be the pattern. One small tournament a couple weeks before and a major. No more YEC's. There is no reason as they don't lead directly to a major.

Or retirement.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
She's 37, very banged up after the US Open and had a ton of injuries in her life. There is no use hurting your body with something like the YEC when majors are the only thing you really want at the end of your career. She was clearly hurting at the end in the Canadian Open Semis, but still gave it a go in the finals. Not worth it anymore at all. If she plays something like the YEC, that actually decreases your chances to win at the majors. The body simply can't bounce back at that age, and with all the previous injuries that start to ache. And she is playing Auckland, so expect that to be the pattern. One small tournament a couple weeks before and a major. No more YEC's. There is no reason as they don't lead directly to a major.

Or retirement.
Okay, but this pattern has not worked because she’s still nervous af in finals. She’s not battle tested and hasn’t won a tournament in two years... she needs small victories to lead up to a major.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Okay, but this pattern has not worked because she’s still nervous af in finals. She’s not battle tested and hasn’t won a tournament in two years... she needs small victories to lead up to a major.
Then she retires. She can't play a schedule. Way too many injuries from the past. Michael Jordan retired at 35 for a reason, and just wasn't the same when he came back. And he took two years off for baseball, and never had the serious injuries Serena has had. She's only out there due to sheer will and desire to win 1 or two more majors. You simply can't play that many more events with her body at the age she's at if the only this she wants to do is win majors. Modern hard hitting tennis doesn't work like that, and it certainly doesn't work like that when you're a big body at 38. She broke down at the Canadian Open for a reason.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Then she retires. She can't play a schedule. Way too many injuries from the past. Michael Jordan retired at 35 for a reason, and just wasn't the same when he came back. And he took two years off for baseball, and never had the serious injuries Serena has had. She's only out there due to sheer will and desire to win 1 or two more majors. You simply can't play that many more events with her body at the age she's at if the only this she wants to do is win majors. Modern hard hitting tennis doesn't work like that, and it certainly doesn't work like that when you're a big body at 38. She broke down at the Canadian Open for a reason.
Let’s not pretend she “broke down”. I’m sure she was having back spasms but it was also precautionary because they didn’t want to exacerbate it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Let’s not pretend she “broke down”. I’m sure she was having back spasms but it was also precautionary because they didn’t want to exacerbate it.
I can't disagree with that. And it in fact really helped Andreescu who actually did break down in the Semis, let alone the quarters. I'm not sure she would have been able to go three sets in any way. By withdrawing, it actually helped both of them be much healthier for the US Open.

And that's the point. It took two full weeks for weeks for Serena to heal. And even then, she went in with very tender ankles. When you're 37, the punishment tennis can bring is too much for the body, when you have the former injuries she's had, let alone her body type. Would not be shocked if she played only 8 tournaments this year. As she should.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I can't disagree with that. And it in fact really helped Andreescu who actually did break down in the Semis, let alone the quarters. I'm not sure she would have been able to go three sets in any way. By withdrawing, it actually helped both of them be much healthier for the US Open.

And that's the point. It took two full weeks for weeks for Serena to heal. And even then, she went in with very tender ankles. When you're 37, the punishment tennis can bring is too much for the body, when you have the former injuries she's had, let alone her body type. Would not be shocked if she played only 8 tournaments this year. As she should.
I mean, we can predict all we want. But neither of us will know the answer until all is said and done. If Serena wins a major by only playing a single warm-up, then kudos to her for knowing her level of play. But if she plays another year and doesn’t win a title, it’ll leave a bitter taste in my mouth that she didn’t do more while she could.

I’m not asking her to play 20 tournaments in a year. Asking her to keep training and to take advantage of a huge opportunity she has in front of her (playing one extra tourney and the YEC, playing the top 8, not getting rusty in the offseason, working on her nerves) isn’t too much to ask in my book. She would have all of December and half of January to recoup. No 38 year old athlete can just disappear from competition for four months and expect to just pick up where they left off. I get that she’s trying to preserve her body but her window of opportunity is closing if she doesn’t get a handle on these nerves. With each passing loss, these girls are becoming more confident in their ability to upset Serena.

141 - 160 of 186 Posts