Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you think it will take Serena, once she returns, to regain top form? Reason why I ask, is Justine and Kim and Lindsay and Jennifer will have the benefit of all that match toughness, and if Serena is okay to play the WTA Championships, it will be her first match since Wimbledon!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Since when has serena needed match toughness? remember Serena won the Championships after being off for what seems like an entire year. She won US open with just one tournament warm up.. then sat around for like a month and then won US open over Hingis. Won AUS 2003 with no warmups, no match toughness. Im beginning to think they can just show up at slams with practice and win titles. sure seems that way. I guess its their mindset. They sure dont seem to forget much from month to month in terms of match strategy etc. dont seem to take too long to get them in form either. I think venus may need more matches since her game is a little more complicated than serenas. i dunno, good question though. nice post

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
alfajeffster said:
How long do you think it will take Serena, once she returns, to regain top form? Reason why I ask, is Justine and Kim and Lindsay and Jennifer will have the benefit of all that match toughness, and if Serena is okay to play the WTA Championships, it will be her first match since Wimbledon!
She may be a little rusty early, but I don't think it'll prevent her from
exploding and getting back right out of the gates.
I don't think it'll really matter.
Both sister's are known for being able to play well and win
despite not having many if any matches under their belt's,
even after coming back from injuries.

(i.e.Venus 00' Wimbledon)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
at this point in the year, match toughness gives way to match exhaustion. if anything, serena will be much fresher, although her conditioning might be a bit lacking.

she came back crazy strong from that ankle injury.. I see her coming back just as strong from this ..

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Baby-girl will be aight! These girls always come back strong after injuries! Besides now that people are starting to talk about Justine in the same sentence as Serena, she will come even more motivated to prove that they ain´t in the same class!

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
If anything...having time off for both Venus and Serena seem to be a better way to win titles than lots of match toughness. You can look at their records...Venus making finals of AO this year after playing NO matches since her retirement to Kim at last year's Championships. Serena missing AO last year because of the ankle injury and then coming back straight away and winning titles in Scottsdale and Miami (beating top opponents along the way!). I think that the lack-of-matches is actually a very positive thing for these two girls!

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bandabou said:
Man, you sure turned out to be quite the Serena basher.
I don't bash any player- never have. Serena Williams is my favorite player on the tour right now, with Justine a close second. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Steffi Graf fan, and I remember all too well how long it took her to come back from knee surgery. Serena's surgery might not have been as serious, but any time there's a knee operation, recovery in tennis is slow. It would be nice if she just took off until the Australian Open, and came back like a steamroller. I'd hate to see her come back in Los Angeles and get beaten by a lesser player because she's rusty.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Knizzle said:
It was minor ourpatient surgery, Serena said the operation will help her to move BETTER than she was moving before. She is probably already training as it has been a month since her surgery.

It may have been out-patient, but the type of knee surgery she had is not minor. She probably will eventually be able to move better, (because of being pain free), but the rehab is long, and it takes a while to get back to where you were pre-op. ( i know, cause I had the same surgery). She is probably swimming right now, but she wont be doing any kind of running, foot work training for another 4-7 weeks.

I think Serena will do fine, but it is going to take awhile. When she returns, (prob. mid to late OCT) she will not have played for 4 months. It is one thing to not play a warm up event, but quite another to not pick up a raquet for months....

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I don't bash any player- never have. Serena Williams is my favorite player on the tour right now, with Justine a close second. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Steffi Graf fan, and I remember all too well how long it took her to come back from knee surgery. Serena's surgery might not have been as serious, but any time there's a knee operation, recovery in tennis is slow. It would be nice if she just took off until the Australian Open, and came back like a steamroller. I'd hate to see her come back in Los Angeles and get beaten by a lesser player because she's rusty.
Oh, I see....no, because you always say she´ll retire or she doesn´t play well and stuff.

You´re right that knee-surgeries are serious, but I really want Serena to play again this year. I missed her too much already.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bandabou said:
Oh, I see....no, because you always say she´ll retire or she doesn´t play well and stuff.

You´re right that knee-surgeries are serious, but I really want Serena to play again this year. I missed her too much already.
I don't think you'll find a post from me saying she doesn't play well- she has learned how to play tennis and think out there, and I think that's why she passed Venus- who still quite often looks as if she has no clue where the next ball is going.

I don't want her to retire either- but I get this feeling about her- like she has achieved all there is to achieve, and she's bored, know what I mean?

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I don't think you'll find a post from me saying she doesn't play well- she has learned how to play tennis and think out there, and I think that's why she passed Venus- who still quite often looks as if she has no clue where the next ball is going.

I don't want her to retire either- but I get this feeling about her- like she has achieved all there is to achieve, and she's bored, know what I mean?
Nah, there are still things for her to achieve, like winning at least 10 GS´s and stuff..

But you´re right maybe she´s getting boring. she´s won every gs, been no.1, defended her Wimbledon title.... there ain´t that much left indeed.

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
CapFan#1 said:
It may have been out-patient, but the type of knee surgery she had is not minor. She probably will eventually be able to move better, (because of being pain free), but the rehab is long, and it takes a while to get back to where you were pre-op. ( i know, cause I had the same surgery). She is probably swimming right now, but she wont be doing any kind of running, foot work training for another 4-7 weeks.

I think Serena will do fine, but it is going to take awhile. When she returns, (prob. mid to late OCT) she will not have played for 4 months. It is one thing to not play a warm up event, but quite another to not pick up a raquet for months....
They said she would only be out 6-8 weeks which means she could be fully recovered and playing tournaments then. It's already been five weeks since her surgery. I don't expect her to comeback until Oct 27 at the Advanta Championship, but she could feasibly return to play all the tourneys she is scheduled for (Zurich, Linz, Advanta, YEC). She said recovery was progressing faster than she thought it would, which is why she has been out and about partying. Someone who is that badly injured probably would be taking it easy and not going out dancing.

·
Registered
713 Posts
She'll be very rusty I think like in Australia this year, but this time she will be playing better opponents straight away so I don't know how she will react.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
lacks of match practice= they are practicing with each other.

Thats their advantage. considering they are both elite players.
Other players can practice with a hitting partner but its not as good as hitting with a co-elite player.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Actually I think her return is one of the best in tennis. Not the best but its right up there in the top. Her serve is at the top and much better than her return.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.