Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since coming back from her pregnancy, Serena's record against top ten players is 2-5.
A devastating stat for a player who has made a career on elevating her game based on the level of her opponent.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
14,785 Posts
See, you're talking about a still lack of match play, soon to be 38 year old player who obviously has some type of mental block when in the finals. This is uncharted territory for any late 30's WTA and even ATP player. Even when Halep's play went down enough for Ree to make a move in set 2, she STILL couldn't get it going. She was missing easy/neutral shots from Halep. That's nerves/mental block. She's older and this will continue happening until she deals with the nerves. That's IF she can deal with the nerves at this late state of her career.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See, you're talking about a still lack of match play, soon to be 38 year old player who obviously has some type of mental block when in the finals. This is uncharted territory for any late 30's WTA and even ATP player. Even when Halep's play went down enough for Ree to make a move in set 2, she STILL couldn't get it going. She was missing easy/neutral shots from Halep. That's nerves/mental block. She's older and this will continue happening until she deals with the nerves. That's IF she can deal with the nerves at this late state of her career.
Do you think it is just nerves? In my opinion, Serena's fitness is good enough at the moment to reach the final when the draw opens up for her, but the moment she faces a top player on a good day, she can't elevate her level anymore. And I think her fitness and lack of matches play a huge part.
I don't think she will be ready to win Slams again until she starts playing and winning more tour matches. Playing the four Slams plus three or four tour events per year is not gonna cut it.
She needs to play at least eight or nine tour events.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Do you think it is just nerves? In my opinion, Serena's fitness is good enough at the moment to reach the final when the draw opens up for her, but the moment she faces a top player on a good day, she can't elevate her level anymore. And I think her fitness and lack of matches play a huge part.
I don't think she will be ready to win Slams again until she starts playing and winning more tour matches. Playing the four Slams plus three or four tour events per year is not gonna cut it.
She did elevate her level against Riske & Strycova. That level is good enough to win slams. She just didn’t reproduce it today (for many reasons - nerves, fitness and stamina over 7 matches)

·
Registered
14,785 Posts
I totally agree with you in saying that she really NEEDS more match play. Totally correct. Playing yourself into some type of better shape won't cut it after playing in only a few tournaments the whole year long, especially nearing 38 when has to have all of what ability left within her clicking on all or most cylinders.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I mean it makes sense, she's not playing the way she should and can play, unless she changes that it's not going to change, she's going to keep losing the matches that matters. Hopefully this will fuel her more, I definitely have seen improvement in most areas but I've also seen the doubt in her mind regarding shot selection.

·
Registered
862 Posts
She did elevate her level against Riske & Strycova. That level is good enough to win slams. She just didn’t reproduce it today (for many reasons - nerves, fitness and stamina over 7 matches)
And Simona being extremely solid doesn't help her case either.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With all due respect, Riske and Strycova are not top players.

·
Registered
47,534 Posts
The question is: why is she almost always OUT of a shape to begin with. She's a pro athlete... when you always don't play many matches to begin with and the few matches you do play you need to use them to get in shape.. at this stage: that's just..:help: :banghead:

Reactions: Perun and amyd_1989

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
She plays way too less. Even Venus understands this and got in the Birmingham tournament this year which she normally doesn't play. I don't even remember the last time she played a grass tournament outside Wimbledon besides this year.

BJK is right to suggest that she needs to stop thinking about social issues and grand narratives for one year. Like it or not, she does care about her image and it has a way of getting into her skin. (USO last year is an example of that)

Also, I think she really needs to improve her footwork. Anytime she runs into a player who can retrieve the ball back, make her run to play one extra ball, she is on the upset alert.

I still think she has "24" in her but really this part-time athlete is not going to work.

·
Registered
926 Posts
My thoughts are she made her professional debut 24 years ago, has a post pregnancy body aged nearly 28 still not yet whipped into shape, and this is to be expected. If she plays the warm up events for the US open, I'm 100% convinced she will end the year on 24 slams.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
To be honest with her cakewalks I'm shocked she's encountered 7 top 10 players in 15 months

1 - 16 of 16 Posts