Tennis Forum banner

501 - 520 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Serena/Venus are now the most successful women's doubles team at Wimbledon in the Open Era too. They passed Navratilova/Shriver and are now tied with Lenglen/Ryan for the all time record. :worship:

6 titles - Serena Williams / Venus Williams, Suzanne Lenglen / Elizabeth Ryan
5 titles - Martina Navratilova / Pam Shriver, Rosemary Casals / Billie Jean King, Margaret Osborne DuPont / Louise Brough Clapp
4 titles - Natasha Zvereva / Gigi Fernandez
Crazy to see they're the 3rd best team (tied) in terms of Grand Slam Doubles titles. Individually they're still top 10.

And that's playing doubles on a very limited basis.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Update: 307 GS singles match wins! The most of any female player in history!! :worship:

Can achieve the all-time GS singles match win record for male or female with a win in USO 4th round on Monday! :worship:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just heard the USTA is renaming the new LOUIS AMSTRONG stadium they are building in 2 years time replacing the current one, and the ESPN guys look a bit pressed about for the possibility of Serena's name getting in there :lol: They were discussing the possible names and Brad Gilbert suggested the name 'Chris Evert stadium' with some other names, while Pam Shriver saying she is hopping they won't change the old name in favor of a new one. No one suggested Serena. Wouldn't it be awesome if they named it Serena Arena? I know they won't anyway:)

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
10 straight SFs
3 straight AO finals
First time winning the AO without dropping a set (Her 6th time, tying Martina N, Steffi and Chrissie have 5)

·
Premium Member
40,421 Posts
Just heard the USTA is renaming the new LOUIS AMSTRONG stadium they are building in 2 years time replacing the current one, and the ESPN guys look a bit pressed about for the possibility of Serena's name getting in there :lol: They were discussing the possible names and Brad Gilbert suggested the name 'Chris Evert stadium' with some other names, while Pam Shriver saying she is hopping they won't change the old name in favor of a new one. No one suggested Serena. Wouldn't it be awesome if they named it Serena Arena? I know they won't anyway:)

It should be Venus & Serena Williams Stadium

·
Premium Member
40,421 Posts
Did we add this:

First player to win 10+ majors in multiple decades?

Right now, Court has the record for the "Best Decade" in terms of winning the most majors in a 10 year span, at 16.

Most Majors Won In A Single Decade:
Court -16 (1960s)
Navratilova - 15 (1980s)
Graf - 14 (1990s)
Serena - 12 (2010s)

I think she could snatch this one up too.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that in the last three years Serena:
Won 2 Australian Opens, and lost 1 final
Won 2 Wimbledons
Won 1 French Open, and lost 1 final
Lost 2 US Open SF

We've basically made a run at every major for the last two years, with no early round upsets. She's spoiled us

·
Premium Member
40,421 Posts
Oh we're totally spoiled.

Since that loss to Cornose.....

10 straight SFs or better, a(nother) Serena Slam.

WHAT DID WE DO TO DESERVE THIS?!?! :sobbing:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Oh we're totally spoiled.

Since that loss to Cornose.....

10 straight SFs or better, a(nother) Serena Slam.

WHAT DID WE DO TO DESERVE THIS?!?! :sobbing:
Another fun fact to relish on... 10 majors since turning 30. Basically more majors in her 30s than Maria, Vika, Kerber, Radwanska, Halep, Wozniaki, Bouchard, Stephens, and Pliskova's careers combined ?

It's crazy to think that she's had three "career" worthy runs.

1999-2003 Won 6
2005-2010 Won 7
2012-2017 Won 10

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Serena achievements are stunning,what about the fact that Serena and Venus have 30 Grand Slam singles titles between them,and while alot of credit should be given to Patrick (and David) for both women,the foundation is from Richard Williams who literally(biologically)and figuratively (gamewise,tactics,attitude and toughness created them. How many tennis academies have players who equal 30 Majors? Richard deserves MUCH more credit and speaking of credit that should go to Chris Evert for being one of the few commentators to acknowledge Richard constantly,in my opinion he should seriously be considered for the HOF,his coaching has been inovative(open stance)loving and thouthful-caring for their well fare:first-and longevity in tennis (no to junior tennis)He has been controversial and ecentric and has guided them to unparalleled Greatness and created a once in a lifetime Dynasty. :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Serena achievements are stunning,what about the fact that Serena and Venus have 30 Grand Slam singles titles between them,and while alot of credit should be given to Patrick (and David) for both women,the foundation is from Richard Williams who literally(biologically)and figuratively (gamewise,tactics,attitude and toughness created them. How many tennis academies have players who equal 30 Majors? Richard deserves MUCH more credit and speaking of credit that should go to Chris Evert for being one of the few commentators to acknowledge Richard constantly,in my opinion he should seriously be considered for the HOF,his coaching has been inovative(open stance)loving and thouthful-caring for their well fare:first-and longevity in tennis (no to junior tennis)He has been controversial and ecentric and has guided them to unparalleled Greatness and created a once in a lifetime Dynasty. :)
Why leave Oracene out though, as she's been right there with them?

I think they are both HOF worthy coaches, just for their achievements alone, but I've always wondered if they could have duplicated that success with other players. I mean, their sister was a tennis player too but she only played collegiate tennis IIRC.

I think everything fell into place with Venus and Serena. Richard and Oracene revolved their lives around tennis, committed their daughters to the sport before the girls even had any say in the matter. The family's existence revolved around the success of the sisters. They were able to teach them through tough love and could go harder on them since they were their children. They couldn't do that to a strangers child. And sometimes I just think it runs in the blood. Serena and Venus were raised the same, but like Richard predicted early on, Serena has that killer mentality that took her to 23 Grand Slams, and Venus just doesn't have that personality type.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Why leave Oracene out though, as she's been right there with them?

I think they are both HOF worthy coaches, just for their achievements alone, but I've always wondered if they could have duplicated that success with other players. I mean, their sister was a tennis player too but she only played collegiate tennis IIRC.

I think everything fell into place with Venus and Serena. Richard and Oracene revolved their lives around tennis, committed their daughters to the sport before the girls even had any say in the matter. The family's existence revolved around the success of the sisters. They were able to teach them through tough love and could go harder on them since they were their children. They couldn't do that to a strangers child. And sometimes I just think it runs in the blood. Serena and Venus were raised the same, but like Richard predicted early on, Serena has that killer mentality that took her to 23 Grand Slams, and Venus just doesn't have that personality type.
I take your point about Oracene(It being Richards Idea about daughters as tennis players,him being more vocal and seemingly more hands on makes him stand out) but wouldn't have a problem with them going in as co HOFs don't know the balance of their coaching of V&S-but both no doubt had influence on each-but however it was divvied up they both can be credited. As for achieving this with others who knows,but just the fact they could achieve this at all with not just 1 daughter but two is truly amazing and HOF worthy.

·
Premium Member
40,421 Posts
Oracene is JUST as much their coach as Richard. ESPECIALLY since Richard stopped traveling with them full time after 2008.

And there are LOTS of times it's been quoted that Richard was Venus' main coach growing up and Oracene was Serena's.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Oracene is JUST as much their coach as Richard. ESPECIALLY since Richard stopped traveling with them full time after 2008.

And there are LOTS of times it's been quoted that Richard was Venus' main coach growing up and Oracene was Serena's.
Yeah that's what I was actually gonna mention. If you want "Venus and Serena", their 2012 documentary, it talks about how Serena would be on her moms court, and Venus would be on her dads a lot. So they both definitely shaped her into the player she is now. What they did is incredible, and most commentators and sports critics agree. IMO they should all be inducted at the same time. They would all really love that!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Me not including Oracene originally was an oversight,they both deserve credit for this monumental achievement. The point about Oracene working more with Serena is an example of her influence also her being there as a coach when Richard stopped traveling as much. Both of them being inducted in the HOF would be amazing(should be given Serious consideration by TPTB) 30 singles Major titles combined(something that will no doubt never be repeated) and hopefully counting for both V&S is Astounding.

501 - 520 of 523 Posts