Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Yeah I remember that match. Kim was up 5-1 or 5-2 in the 3rd, before WarrioRena morphed into comeback mode and we all know what happened from there...........
yeah, Kim choked. LOL

I dont care about games lost, this is Serena's biggest hole. :haha:

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Incredible to think that Shahar Peer use to trouble top players

I mean she's not exactly old now, must be one of the biggest declines in womens tennis.

The way peer fell off the tour, no injuries.
her decline had a lot to do with Israel pressure and criticism I think.

·
Premium Member
27,234 Posts
Now I just remembered the Clijsters drama... Thank you very much Serena, you should never made those matches that dificult... Good Kimberly helped Serena a lot in becoming a mental GOAT like she is nowadays.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yeah. Kim was up 5-2 with 2 MPs against her at the 2003 AO and was up 5-3, 2 points away from the match at the 1999 USO :sobbing:

She could have prevented Serena's first Slam and the Serena Slam :sobbing:
In 1999, I remember Jon Wertheim writing about Clijsters creating a monster after she pushed Serena to 3 sets in the early rounds. Clijsters was an up and coming player then, but the potential was obvious. Half a dozen peers were observed to have watched this match. I think that Clijsters, Henin, Venus were the most impactful rivals to Serena, in terms of molding her into being a GOAT contender.

Nice stat though: Serena GS haul > all her 3 top contenders combined.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
In 1999, I remember Jon Wertheim writing about Clijsters creating a monster after she pushed Serena to 3 sets in the early rounds. Clijsters was an up and coming player then, but the potential was obvious. Half a dozen peers were observed to have watched this match. I think that Clijsters, Henin, Venus were the most impactful rivals to Serena, in terms of molding her into being a GOAT contender.

Nice stat though: Serena GS haul > all her 3 top contenders combined.
Was it just Clijsters though? I mean she got got pushed to three sets in most of her matches in 1999. Conchita, Seles, Davenport.

The weaves she snatched in that tournament.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
I agree that this Kim-Serena USO 1999 is very important in Serena's career. They were both seen as future stars (with Justine and Venus) and Kim just made the sensation at Wimbledon reaching the 4th round out of nowhere. Serena coming back and winning made her a mental giant and she won her first slam. Also taking huge mental advantage on Kim for the future.

Had Kim won that match, I don't think she would have come close to winning the tournament but her career would have been different (FO final in 2001 and all).

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
It should be looked at a different way, because you can lose many many games but never facing real crisis (like 03 AO F)

1999 US Open
3R - down 3-5* in the third against Clijsters

2002 Roland Garros
SF - down 3-6 5*-6 against Capriati

2002 Wimbledon
3R - was broken first in both sets against Callens

2002 US Open
SF - down two set points in the second set against Davenport

2003 Australian Open
1R - 3 points from losing against Loit
SF - down 1*-5 in the third and facing 2 match points against Clijsters

2005 Australian Open
SF - down 2-6 4-5* and 4-5* again in the third plus facing 3 match points against Sharapova

2007 Australian Open
3R - down 1-6 3-5* and 3 points from losing against Petrova
QF - down 5-6* in the third and 2 points from losing against Peer

2008 US Open
QF - facing multiple set points in both sets against Venus

2009 Australian Open
QF - down 5-7 3-5* against Kuznetsova

2009 Wimbledon
SF - was broken first in both second and third set and facing a match point at 4*-5 in the third

2010 Australian Open
QF - was down 4-6 0*-4 against Azarenka

2010 Wimbledon
4R - facing 3 set points in the first set against Sharapova

2012 Wimbledon
3R - had to serve to stay in the match 3 times against Zheng

2012 US Open
F - was down 3*-5 in the third against Azarenka

2013 Roland Garros
QF - was down 0*-2 in the third and saved multiple break points not to get two breaks down against Kuznetsova

2013 US Open
F - wasted 2 breaks lead and served for the match twice in the second set against Azarenka

2014 US Open
Was never in danger

2015 Australian Open
4R - saved 6 break points at 0*-1 third set against Muguruza

2015 Roland Garros
3R - was down 4-6 2-4, and 0-2 in the third against Azarenka
SF - was down 4-6 2-3* against Bacsinszky

2015 Wimbledon
3R - was down 0-3* in the third and two points from losing against Watson

2016 Wimbledon
2R - was down 0-2* in the third against McHale
All of these. Also for 2015 FO when she was down 1-6 4-5 to Sloane.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
FO 2015, she also was down 0-2 in the final set against Safarova.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Was it just Clijsters though? I mean she got got pushed to three sets in most of her matches in 1999. Conchita, Seles, Davenport.

The weaves she snatched in that tournament.
Wertheim was alluding to Clijsters in a witty way --- she was the first to push Serena to 3 sets, I think in the 3rd round, making Serena come back from behind in the 3rd set.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
I agree that this Kim-Serena USO 1999 is very important in Serena's career. They were both seen as future stars (with Justine and Venus) and Kim just made the sensation at Wimbledon reaching the 4th round out of nowhere. Serena coming back and winning made her a mental giant and she won her first slam. Also taking huge mental advantage on Kim for the future.

Had Kim won that match, I don't think she would have come close to winning the tournament but her career would have been different (FO final in 2001 and all).
I dont think winning that match does anything to Clijsters career honestly.......Maybe Davenport wins the 1999 Us Open. Thats about it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Serena down 5-1 to Cjisters on livescore was brutal. She kept on coming back... I remember wondering how she was doing it as the score inched closer together until game, set, match Miss Williams :worship:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Honestly a lot of these players that I see on this list were having the match of their lives. When Serena does lose its usually because she has no answers for her opponents amazing play. Of course she does come up victorious because she is a champion. But other times her opponents are just giving her hell and she can't come up with the goods. Match becomes 50/50.

Although its good to point out that when a champion does lose. Even for men like Djokovic or Federer. It's never quite that simple. It usually takes a lot out of you.

One thing I love about this sport. Champions refuse to go down easy. Kind of like gladiator battles!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
2005 AO against Pova was the SF as the F was against Davenport ;)
Thanks, I corrected it (after finally logging in after 100 years).

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
"Olympic Games 2012
5 games lost against Ursula Radwanska in the 2nd round"

it always gets me cackling. :haha:
That was the reason for the thread :D

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #39