Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
53,487 Posts
Re: Serena's 2017 Articles/News

Harsh and bitter words from a NZL journalist about Serena at WTA Auckland :p

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/tennis/88294101/

When Serena Williams came off court at Auckland, she bleated about the wind and how she couldn't wait to go somewhere where it was less windy. Don't we all.

Even so, she played no better than a B grader in Manawatu's light airs, botching basic ground strokes. She displayed the footwork of a Galapagos turtle against Madison Brengle, a player well known only to her parents.
OMG :haha:

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Serena Williams ready to play without worry after landing Australian Open title in year's first major - Mirror Online

On Alexis:

“I’m so up tight during tournaments and so focused. I don’t think it was relaxing for him. I’m just really crazy at tournaments, everything has to be perfect, my practices have to be perfect. He’s been super supportive throughout.

"It’s definitely nice to have him here and to know that he was supporting the whole time.”
On her schedule:

“My focus is on the Majors now - I do want to win as many Grand Slams as I can,” she said. “But also in order to win those tournaments, you have to play other ones, especially with Roland Garros. It’s so important to prepare at the other tournaments and get match ready, get mentally ready.”

Williams has only won three titles in Paris compared to seven at Wimbledon but she said: “Personally I prefer the clay, except last year was an awful nightmare, because it was just 10 degrees and raining the whole time.

"Looking back I think that was what ruined my shoulder for the rest of the year after Wimbledon, disaster. Normally I love the clay. Grass, every year I play there I’m shocked because I don’t love the grass. Every year I do really well there and I’m like alright this is cool, I hit aces and I’m like alright another ace, so it works out well for me.”

·
Registered
84,910 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Nice words from Andy Roddick:

Andy Roddick thinks Serena Williams is the GOAT, and wants everyone to play 'Barketology'

espnW: What are your thoughts on Serena Williams hitting 23 major championships?

AR: It's amazing. I've known Serena since we were 8 or 9 years old. To see her go from the girl I used to practice next to all the time to become this icon -- and not just one of the greatest women athletes of all time, but one of the greatest athletes of all time, it's amazing. Watching her march her way through the history of our sport has been a pleasure. She's always been a friend first, and it's hard for me to disassociate that from who she has become, but it's been amazing to see.

espnW: Is she the GOAT, male or female?

AR: I don't think it is a question. I think it is a matter of correcting rhetoric. Saying she's the best woman athlete shouldn't be taken as offensive as long as she's in the conversation with the greatest male athletes of all time as well. We need to enter her into the conversation with Jordan and Ali. I think that's where the respect lies, and where the conversation needs to go, after the acknowledgement of what she's done for women in sports.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Great article!

Life just keeps getting better for Serena Williams | New York Post

At 35, most tennis stars are considered over the hill. Serena Williams? She’s looking for bigger mountains to scale.

The past few months have been blockbuster for the champ. In January, she set a world tennis record by winning a 23rd career Grand Slam title. The month before, she got engaged to 33-year-old tech millionaire Alexis Ohanian, a Reddit co-founder, in Rome. To top it off, this week, Page Six reported that Serena is slated to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated’s Swimsuit Issue, out Monday.
On the court, maybe not. But when it comes to romance, Serena seems pretty content since becoming engaged to Ohanian, whose social news aggregation and discussion board, Reddit, is the seventh most visited Web site in the US, according to web-analytics firm Alexa.

“I think they’re a great match,” said Robbye Poole, Serena’s hitting partner of two years. “Alexis is very supportive, caring, super laid-back. So he knows how to deal with the times when she’s under a lot of stress. They balance each other well.”
Her mom recalls how the 6-foot-5 entrepreneur, who is based in San Francisco, hopped on a flight to Southern California to ask her for permission to wed Serena, who is worth an estimated $150 million.

“I think he was very nervous,” Price admitted. “He was going to do it anyway, but he was following the proper etiquette.”

And while news of the power couple’s glitzy engagement and post-proposal trip — replete with helicopter jaunts — to New Zealand took the Internet by storm in December, Serena’s mother said it’s the simpler things that show Ohanian’s devotion.

“There was this shirt [Serena] liked but couldn’t find it, a black-and-red check shirt,” she said. “And he went online and found it for her. To me, that’s romantic because you’re listening to the person you’re caring about say something and you’re doing something about it.”
Bajin said that during his near-decade training with Serena, “She hasn’t been treated well.”

“Incidents happened a few times and I would ask her if I should step in and do something — and she never said yes,” said Bajin. “She said, ‘Let it go, it’s not worth it.’ It just shows how much bigger she is.”

·
Registered
7,005 Posts

Those articles are so nice. I think that is so nice that that man hopped on a flight just to ask her mom is he could marry her. And the finding of the shirt online? So fucking romantic. She seems really happy. And she deserves it. Cannot wait for her to walk down the aisle. What a great time to be a Serena fan.

And YASSSSSS for that SI cover!

·
Registered
84,910 Posts

Great article @Arsenic

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Great Post Arsenic. Saw this this morning. Ree looks great and we now know why she wasn't training at Indian Wells. :smile2:Doesn't she sometimes train at some college when she's in LA? UCLA maybe?
Indeed she does, Trizap - though she hasn't been spotted there this year, apart from Sunday just gone when she shot a promo video for her friends' sunglasses company.

·
Registered
53,487 Posts

·
Registered
53,487 Posts

http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/en/media-and-news/news/2017/03/07/serena-williams-withdraws-from-bnp-paribas-open

Serena Williams Withdraws from BNP Paribas Open

Mar 07, 2017

World No. 1 Serena Williams has withdrawn from the BNP Paribas Open due to a left knee injury.

"Sadly, I have to withdraw from the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells and the Miami Open," Williams said in a statement. "I have not been able to train due to my knees and am disappointed I cannot be there. I will keep moving forward and continue to be positive. I look forward to being back as soon as I can."

The two-time champion in Indian Wells was a finalist a year ago after making the semifinals in 2015 having returned to the event after a 14-year hiatus.

The women’s draw, which was made on Monday, will be reshuffled, moving world No. 3 Karolina Pliskova, who was on the same side of the draw, to Serena’s slot and pushing No. 5 seed Dominika Cibulkova into Pliskova’s spot. The updated draws are available.

Williams, 35, made history in January when she won an Open era record 23rd Grand Slam by capturing her seventh Australian Open. She was champion in Indian Wells in 1999 and 2001.

The WTA main draw gets underway on Wednesday, with the top 32 seeds receiving byes.

World No. 2 Angelique Kerber will take over the No. 1 spot in the world after this year's BNP Paribas Open regardless of how she finishes due to Williams losing her finalist points from 2016. Kerber is a two-time semifinalist, though she lost in the second round here a year ago.
:sobbing:

·
Registered
53,487 Posts

·
Registered
84,910 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
1 - 20 of 375 Posts