Tennis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I being an alarmist here? Serena seems to have reverted to her inconsistent form before the second half of 2001. I mean, we're talking bout a player who will beat anybody on tour when everyone's A-game is on. Both mentally and physically. Heck, she'd even beat Venus. To start things of with a 3-set win against Kournikova ( no disrespect to her) has left me rather uneasy. Guess I'm expecting too much from her!

·
Registered
439 Posts
it'S hard to say what is going to happen to serena by looking at this match,she is a very up and down player,when she's on she's practically unbeatable,when she's off she can spray balls everywhere.We also have to take in consideration that this is serena's first match of the new year,Anna has already played alot so she had more match practice then serena.I personally won,t worry,we just have to look at the US Open in her first match she went to three sets against a player who was lower ranked then Anna is now and Serena went all the way to the finals beating justine,lindsay and hingis.For me,as long as she wins it doesn't really matter what the score is,besides,Anna has never been a pushover,at this time last year she was in the top ten and i'm sure that if she wasn't injured she would still be there.
All we can do is cheer her on to victory,Serena will have to do the rest!
GOOD LUCK TO SERENA AND VENUS FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR!:bounce:

·
Registered
25,079 Posts
When Serena is on, it doesn't matter who she is playing against. When Serena is off, it doesn't matter who she is playing against.

Let's just hope that it was a combination of unpreparedness from Serena and adrenalin from AK. Frederick, I think that it's important to consider that Serena has not played in a while and may have been feeling some of the pressure. Unlike the other top players, she hasn't had the opportunity to lightly ease into the year with a much less talented player. The magnitude of Anna's talent and her celebrity had to have weighed on AK's mind a bit.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I FEEL you Frederick!

I'm the same WAY Frederick!!
THE SAME WAY!! :)

I expect MUCH from Serena, because I just don't believe that there's anything that she isn't capable of doing. Serena is to blame for me feeling this way.:)

You put it so right when you said this:

"I mean, we're talking bout a player who will beat anybody on tour when everyone's A-game is on. "

Those times that she is in that zone... the girl leaves us breathless! Showing up at the Sanex Championships, and winning it, with her last match having been the Us Open final... she makes it hard not to expect a bunch from her.

But like clocker is so rationally reminding us... she may be SuperGirl.. but she's still very human.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I get what everyone is saying too, but I'm going to still cut Serena much slack here because a win is a win, 2 set, 3 set, tie-break, whatever---however she can get it is okay with me.

It was her 1st match, so hopefully she has adjusted whatever she needs to adjust, and keep her next round of matches to 2-setters. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on just one match so far, hopefully she will delight her fans from here on out and begin to play the way we KNOW she can.

Go Serena, beat everyone!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
She only had one match guys, chill.
Remember Anca Barna???
She'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
A three set match is good for Serena. She needs all the experience she can get in tight matches. Because as good as she is, experience still is not one of her strong suits. Serena still needs experience in handling her emotions, patience, point construction, and managing her game when maybe she is not playing all that well. But 2002 promises to be a great one for her. Now is her time to shine.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Guys the big factor is it was SERENA'S FIRST MATCH OF THE YEAR, she was rusty therefore she hadn't found her rhythm so she wasn't playing very well, Anna however was playinh VERY WELL but Serena still managed to win.

She said after the match that she was dissappointed in the way she played so im sure she knows what she needs to work on, she also said she would be playing waay better on her next match, sounds like she knows what she needs to do.

I don't think we're gonna see the first half of 2001 Serena, i think she's allowed to have a three setter for her first match of the year, against a good player like anna.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
This is Serena's first match in months... not surprising that she dropped a set. Anna is no push over anyway...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay, guys. I guess I was expecting another bagel (remember her compelling performance in Munich)? Oh, well. Guess I'll cut her some slack and agree a win is a win. Congrats on beating Mauresmo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, i watched Serena for the first time when she actually played Mauresmo. It was an ok match for both players, nothing spectacular.

Serena needs to step up or else she will not win this one. she seems a bit slow on her feet. Anyway i hope the matches she has played so far are good enough practice for her.

Go Serena :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Anna K was ranked no 8 this time last year. Anna can play a good match she just does not win tournaments. This was an opening match for Serena. Anna has been playing all winter and autumn! I think Anna deserves some credit for putting up a good fight. So does Serena - she won the match and is now in the semi's. Venus once said its not always the better player who wins. Rememebr Km at the FO she played way better than Jenny but It was Jenny who took the trophy! Jenny had that extra something as did Serena when she beat Anna K.
Oh by the way Serena had 3 sets in her opening match at the USOpen yet went all the way to the Semis. Watch this space...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts