Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this mean that she will lose the number one ranking to Kim ?

I need to know cos I want to send Kim some cards n flowers.......yeah right!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Serena Williams Withdraws From Chase Open

CARLSBAD, Calif. - Top-ranked Serena Williams (news - web sites) withdrew from next week's J.P. Morgan Chase Open due to a strained left quadriceps, the third straight tournament she will miss due to injury.

Tuesday's announcement by the WTA Tour comes a day after Williams pulled out of the Acura Classic. She also withdrew from the Bank of the West Classic last week.

Williams, winner of five of the past six Grand Slam titles, had an MRI performed on her left leg Monday in Los Angeles and was advised not to play this week. The quadriceps injury was causing Williams considerable pain in her left knee.

Williams missed the Bank of the West Classic because of pain in her left knee not associated with her strained quadriceps.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
She wasn't going to the JP Morgan in the first place...so to answer your question..yes in all likelihood Kim will take the #1 ranking. Although it is possible for her to get it this week..she probably won't.

Get those flowers ready :p j/k ;)

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
why wouldnt kim get it this week? Im sure she can come up with 200 or so points to take it if she wins.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
why wouldnt kim get it this week? Im sure she can come up with 200 or so points to take it if she wins.
Cause she needs the seeds to hold up..in addition to winning the tournie she would have to collect a rather large amount of bonus points as well..she needs to beat Justine in the final..also she has to beat either Davenport or Rubin..if the draw collapses she won't have enough bonus points to overtake #1

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
from www.tennisone.com... here are the facts, no guesses...

San Diego - No Round In Particular
Serena Williams -- WITHDRAWN

This is it. The #1 ranking is on Kim Clijsters' racquet.

Well, just barely. It's going to be a very, very, very close thing.

First, the story of what happened. Serena, who last week withdrew from Stanford with a knee problem (believed to be tendonitis), has now withdrawn from San Diego as well. Since she didn't withdraw until after play began, seeds will not be promoted; Meilen Tu will take her place as a Lucky Loser. It has not been announced, but it appears that Serena will be fined for two consecutive late withdrawals.

But the real penalty is bigger: She might lose the top spot, at least for a week. Here is the situation: Serena leads Kim Clijsters by 264 points. However, Clijsters has 122 points in her seventeenth tournament, meaning that she has to earn 386 points to pass Serena.

Can she do it? Yes, barely -- if the seeds hold. This is a bonus Tier II, so it's worth 220 points. And, as the draw stands, Clijsters's path to the title is:

Second round: Virginia Ruano Pascual (8 quality points)
Third round: Meghann Shaughnessy (23 quality points)
Quarterfinal: Ai Sugiyama or Conchita Martinez (35 quality points)
Semifinal: Lindsay Davenport (50 quality points)
Final: Justine Henin-Hardenne (66 quality points)

Grand total: 402 points. That means Clijsters has a margin of error of 16 points. That means she can accept only one substitution: If she faces Chanda Rubin rather than Lindsay Davenport in the semifinal, she's still all right. (The withdrawal of Nathalie Dechy genuinely hurt her: Had Dechy been in the draw, she would have had a 31 point margin, and would not have needed to face Henin-Hardenne in the final.)

Even if Clijsters doesn't make it this week, she can all but guarantee herself the top spot at some future time by doing well here. It's going to be a very interesting week.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cybelle Darkholme said:

I think I see Kim in the back rumbling through the garbage looking for those extra points now that she heard Serena is not going to JP morgan chase.................

could it be that the Williamses have a protest against California? This Indian Wells thing is going too far........ :haha: :topic:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hawk said:
She wasn't going to the JP Morgan in the first place...so to answer your question..yes in all likelihood Kim will take the #1 ranking. Although it is possible for her to get it this week..she probably won't.

Get those flowers ready :p j/k ;)
Sorry I decided to send the flowers to Serena instead. She needs to get better.......sorry kim.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Hmm...this strain is getting a bit TOO serious! Come on, babygirl! Get well soon!

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
yukon145 said:
Doesn't this mean Serena isn't gonna play a match from the Wimbledon final to the first round of the US Open. Won't she want to re-enter in Canada or enter in New Haven?
I think that's exactly what it means..that quite a long break :eek: Can she re-enter Canada? Isn't she doing some movie thing that week? :confused:

btw I just got my Rogers Cup tickets today and the envelope they come in has Serena on the cover...just like last year :p..me thinks they're going to stop putting her on the cover :p

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
So what does Kim need to do between the 2 weeks? If she makes the SF or final this week, then a SF or final next week would be good enough...right??

Anyway, if Kim does well these next 2 weeks, which is likely, she should skip Toronto. 4 weeks straight is a lot of tennis, especially with her playing doubles at some of the events!

Better yet, she should drop L.A. so she has a week off, play Montreal, and then have a week off before the Open.

·
Registered
26,637 Posts
One individual who will clearly be celebrating regardless of why Serena may fall out of the top spot for the time being is the poster of what is quoted below (re. the RG hand dispute) from the board of GoTennis, which tolerates all forms of "code word racism":
Rational Danny

Re: The Controversy

Serena Williams, a known School Yard Bully, got exactly what was coming to her. She's the one who forced Justine's hand. While Rational Danny doesn't condone those actions Justine fought fire with fire and came out the victor.

Hopefully Serena Williams learned a lesson from this. Lesson being What Goes Around Comes Around!
(This is typical for Danny, a close buddy of a poster called TPlayer who occasionally "graces" this board). Congragulations to Danny can be addressed to: [email protected] (quite an appropriate e-mail as the world is one big Williams-run conspiracy to him anyway). :p

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
jenglisbe said:
So what does Kim need to do between the 2 weeks? If she makes the SF or final this week, then a SF or final next week would be good enough...right??

Anyway, if Kim does well these next 2 weeks, which is likely, she should skip Toronto. 4 weeks straight is a lot of tennis, especially with her playing doubles at some of the events!

Better yet, she should drop L.A. so she has a week off, play Montreal, and then have a week off before the Open.
No she should not skip Toronto!!

I'm going to Toronto :p

Sorry but to actually answer your question..a couple of semi final's would clinch it for sure..

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
I've been watching tennis for a long time. Has a woman ever become #1 on the computer without winning a grand slam? I don't think so.

How is it that Clijsters who is built almost exactly the same as S. Williams can play so many tournaments year after year while Serena can play so few year after year? :confused:

Congrats to Kim on soon becoming #1 in the world! :D :worship: Kim Clijsters has taken over Monica Seles' role as the calliest act in tennis. :)

Reactions: Lisbeth

·
Registered
592 Posts
Injury problems continue for Serena
St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Serena Williams has withdrawn from her third event of the summer, as a quadriceps injury will force her to miss next week's JP Morgan Chase Open in Los Angeles.

Williams missed last week's Bank of the West Classic in Stanford because of a knee injury and also pulled out of this week's Acura Classic in San Diego. An MRI exam taken Monday revealed the left quadriceps strain, which she developed while practicing this past weekend.

The No. 1 ranked player in the world has not played since capturing the Wimbledon title earlier this month. She is not expected to play again until the U.S. Open, which begins August 25 in New York.

07/29 20:58:31 ET

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.