Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
115,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back injury from Rogers Cup, Pegula takes her place, she lost to Diyas in qualies

Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Registered
115,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Serena withdraws

The clouds right now look bad.. not sure they'll get the matches in anyway tonight
You're right, this Pegula match might not get played
Stopped Federer, but Kvitova is still playing for a game, now they all left their courts

·
Registered
52,365 Posts
I wonder if Serena will play the US Open now. :eek:

Reactions: TERRASTAR18

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Smart, even more so now with the rain which would have delayed her match even more, likely to tomorrow, so reaching the final would have meant playing 6 matches in 5 days, which honestly is just straight up impossible for Serena at this point in her career. She got her USO training in Toronto, now it's more important to recover from that week and get her back sorted. What happened to Halep last year with her back, an injury like that for Serena at 37, almost 38, would be so much worse and so much harder to come back from. So it's very important to be careful.

And honestly same goes for Halep, but she probably will at least for two matches or so, because it's her.

Lucky and at the same time unfortunate for Pegula who will be forced to play a whole lot this week and that's if she gets past someone who just beat her in the qualies only two days ago. Also that match is not happening on Center Court tomorrow, obviously.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
I'm fairly surprised Halep showed up.. I wouldn't risk aggravating an achilles right before US Open

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It was a surprise she went to Cincy after withdrawing in the Toronto final. Serena needs match practice but the USO is so close, no one wants to wear them self out! You have to wonder about a few of them with injury doubts - Halep, Kvitova, Bencic is no doubt wishing she skipped it!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think she might have played of it didn’t start raining. Waiting around into the evening or perhaps having two matches tomorrow is just not a good move when getting over a back injury.

I’m sure she wanted more matches but didn’t seem like it was worth the risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
The fact that she waited until the rain messed up the schedule could mean she is OK and should be fine at the USO. I doubt she's been able to practice since withdrawing. Probably some light stretching sessions, hoping to use the first set against Diyas as warm-up.
Now she has time to practice before the USO. If she can come out of the gate to play her matches the way she played with a take-no-prisoner attitude against Osaka, she should do well.

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts
Her match has been canceled. She was probably told she might have to play 2 matches tomorrow. If that's the case, I can see why she decided to go home.
That's not true. Pegula vs Diyas will be played after Federer vs Londero. The Match was originally scheduled to start 20.30 Local and has been pushed back to about 21.30 Local now.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
That's not true. Pegula vs Diyas will be played after Federer vs Londero. The Match was originally scheduled to start 20.30 Local and has been pushed back to about 21.30 Local now.
ok.. I see now the schedule has been updated.

·
Registered
488 Posts
No surprise to me. Even had she not been injured in Canada, she should not have been here. Her body can't take all those matches consecutive weeks like that.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
WTA even uploaded a video of her practicing before the anticipated match. She only hit very light serves there. Groundstrokes looked sharp though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts