Tennis Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lol. Tell me about it. Imo, Riske played like a top ten player. She was in better form than Svitolina and Konta, and she was fearless when she scratched Barty’s eyes out. She came from out of nowhere, too. No one was talking about her until she started beating the seeds.
One good win doesn't suddenly make Riske a top-tenner. She'd never previously got to the last 16 in nine attempts ffs. Lucky draw.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
She´s old, she can beat half the draw because she has more experience than anyone to keep calm and play her best but she´s not good enough to win

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Serena has a way of making haters happy. lol lol
Enjoy. !!!
She doesn't show up in Finals anymore. Should have lost to Riske.
How many people lost lots of money today. I am lucky I don't bet.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yes! ..I mean 'No', Serena is not going to win Wimbledon.
I meant "Yes!" Simona did it!
:worship:

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
You were saying? :spit:
Expected Serena to come out serving and returning... None of that today.
Serena had to play her best game the way Halep played her best game.
Congratulation to my little Romanian Diamond.

Don't forget Serena is my #1 fav, and halep #2.
It's good I don't bet. I would have lost of money today. :) :) ;)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
One good win doesn't suddenly make Riske a top-tenner. She'd never previously got to the last 16 in nine attempts ffs. Lucky draw.

No, I said she played like a top tenner in this tournament, not that she played top ten throughout her career. She beat three seeds in this tourney. Her grass record this season is pretty good, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
You read it here first. Without Kerber, Garbiñe, Ostapenko, Bencic or Osaka anymore in the draw there is really no player that can beat her left. Big part of this forum wasn't convinced of her form, but it will be enough this time and she'll tie with Maggie's record. I won't post in GM anymore until US Open.

Lewis, congratulations on continuing the fine tradition of jinx threads on this site. I'll have you know that it was me who started this tradition all the way back at the 2004 Australian Open. I understand that you're a modest guy and you don't want to take the credit. But well done.

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
Lewis, congratulations on continuing the fine tradition of jinx threads on this site. I'll have you know that it was me who started this tradition all the way back at the 2004 Australian Open. I understand that you're a modest guy and you don't want to take the credit. But well done.
Your legendary effort will never be forgotten :worship:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
When so many people (and I mean EVERYWHERE) are so damn certain of a thing, completely ignoring any chance of an upset (despite the numbers between them at this Wimbledon being in Halep's favor going into the final, but to hell with actual professional analysis before as big a match as this was, and I don't mean users here, I mean professionals, tennis experts who should know better), underestimating the opposition every step of the way, that's just never a good sign.

I'm not even as certain that I'll wake up tomorrow as so many people here and all over the world of sport were of Serena winning number 24 here. It was ridiculous!

And to make matters even more ridiculous Simona Halep had the exact same odds of winning today as Kerber had a year ago... and yet almost no one saw the damn writing on the wall? And why, because she beat Strycova 6-1 6-2? For crying out Halep beat Svitolina just as badly and that's a top 10 player with over a dozen titles that's also 24yo. In hindsight it's really baffling, Halep had the harder draw yet made it through it not just faster but also while only losing a single set in what many might say a more dominant fashion.

And I'm not saying I wasn't somewhat guilty myself of some of that, I did give her a 55% chance of winning the final, but only because she is Serena Williams. Instead I should have followed the numbers and give Simona Halep the upper hand that she absolutely deserved going into this final.

While I still believe deep down that Serena will continue to create opportunities for herself and number 24 might eventually come, this was the last time I've pulled an extra 10% in her favor straight out of my ass just based on her name alone. Never again will I be fooled by a name, ignoring everything else pointing towards the opposite result.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Your legendary effort will never be forgotten :worship:

cheers to the old-timers! :wavey:

but the crazy shit is, it's 15 years later and we still need to start jinx threads to prevent the Williams sisters from winning Grand Slams... so i guess it's obvious who's getting the last laugh here.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
And to make matters even more ridiculous Simona Halep had the exact same odds of winning today as Kerber had a year ago... and yet almost no one saw the damn writing on the wall? And why, because she beat Strycova 6-1 6-2? For crying out Halep beat Svitolina just as badly and that's a top 10 player with over a dozen titles that's also 24yo. In hindsight it's really baffling, Halep had the harder draw yet made it through it not just faster but also while only losing a single set in what many might say a more dominant fashion.

Anybody who watched what Halep did to Svitolina on Thursday and didn't think she was at least 50-50 to beat SJW in the final is just whacked out. Plus we all knew that the grass is playing slow this year and nobody really took that into account.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts