Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You read it here first. Without Kerber, Garbiñe, Ostapenko, Bencic or Osaka anymore in the draw there is really no player that can beat her left. Big part of this forum wasn't convinced of her form, but it will be enough this time and she'll tie with Maggie's record. I won't post in GM anymore until US Open.

Edit: just to make things clear, I don't jinx. I'm too rational to believe in this shit. I just enjoy making predictions based on my knowledge and I normally do well at them, like last year's RG.

Final(?) edit: I made a wrong prediction. Who would have thought Halep would end up winning against Serena in a Wimbledon Final? However it was a good prediction considering how some people weren't even considering that Williams would reach the final. As Origi showed with his brace against Barcelona in the semis and his goal in the final of the champions league, sometimes the least expected person can end up being the hero. And that was the case with Halep, a clay courter who has a horrible record in finals, specially in slams. At the same time that it's never good to get a prediction wrong, specially when opening a thread about it, I'm happy in balance that Simona could save the tour from imminent disaster. Congratulations to her. I'm not a fan but you gained a lot of respect from me. Maggie's record lives on for another day. Will Ms Ohanian be able to break it? We will see in the next chapters.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
You read it here first. Without Kerber, Garbiñe, Ostapenko, Bencic or Osaka anymore in the draw there is really no player that can beat her left. Big part of this forum wasn't convinced of her form, but it will be enough this time and she'll tie with Maggie's record. I won't post in GM anymore until US Open.
Imagine thinking you're the first person to predict a Serena slam win.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Serena will most probably reach the final, she has great draw with opponents she loves playing, but if she faces Pliskova or Kvitova in final, she can lose so we will see.

Reactions: Perun and networthy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Serena will most probably reach the final, she has great draw with opponents she loves playing, but if she faces Pliskova or Kvitova in final, she can lose so we will see.
Exactly this. She might work this draw to get herself to the final, but winning it it's gonna be extremely hard.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Serena is still in the draw. That’s an opponent in itself. The thought of 24.

All it takes is for Serena to have one of her slow starts, lose a set and a player like Barty or Kvitova can capitalise

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I believe Barty and Pliskova have good chances against her. Kvitova doesn't seem to get up mentally for Serena, but she'd have a good chance too.
She's looking in her best physical shape since her comeback though - even though her movement can still look flat-footed.

·
Registered
31,654 Posts
I've thought since she came back that she might win when no one really expects her to. The truth is that the level of play overall has not been that great so far and the irony is that even a reduced power Serena could theoretically "vulture" a win herself.

·
Registered
254 Posts
She very well could but it's not a lock. This isn't pre 2017 Serena. I think we all can see that.

But it's not because Garbine, Ostapenko and Kerber are gone. None of those three wasn't ever going to win Wimby. Both Garbine and Ostapenko have been bad for a couple of years now. Kerber has been bad most of this year.

Barty and Pliskova probably were most people favorites coming in and both of them are still in the draw. Kvitová is still in, as is Sloane and Konta. Halep is still in, Bertens is still in. Yes I know Sloane, Halep and Bertens aren't "grass court players" per se but they are still top 10 players. And there are other dangerous players out there too.

Point being this is by no means a lock for Serena. Didn't we just go through this at the FO when seemly everybody was looking at everybody besdies Barty for the title.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Could happen. Win vs. Goerges and CSN, then two twisted ankles and the QF of death is vs. Harriet Dart instead of Barty or Riske. And from the semis on, any rustiness ought to be gone.

·
Registered
39,996 Posts
Jinx

Reactions: xPaintTheLines
1 - 20 of 134 Posts