Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serena Williams says she's ready for Fed Cup

The Associated PressPublished: April 18, 2007

DELRAY BEACH, Florida: Serena Williams said the groin injury that forced her to retire from a match last week has healed and she'll be able to play for the U.S. Fed Cup team this weekend against Belgium.

This will be Williams' first Fed Cup match since 2003.

The U.S. team, which also includes Venus Williams for the first time since 2005, will be heavily favored against a Belgian team missing its top two players. No. 1-ranked Justine Henin and No. 4 Kim Clijsters declined to participate.

Serena Williams pulled her groin in practice on April 9, then retired the next day trailing Chan Yung-jan 5-3 at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, South Carolina. Williams said she took a few days off before she resumed practicing, and she's feeling much better.

"I figured I was going to play this weekend," she said on Wednesday. "When I got hurt in Charleston, it wasn't even a second thought in my mind. I just knew I was going to be here.

The loss at Charleston was only the second in 17 matches this year for Williams, who has won the two biggest titles so far — the Australian Open and the Sony Ericsson Open. She fell to 140th in the rankings last July because of a long layoff but is now 12th.

The first two singles in the best-of-five tie with Belgium will be on Saturday, with two singles and a doubles on Sunday. The winner advances to the semifinals in July against Spain or Russia.

The Williams sisters decided to participate in the first round in part because Delray Beach is only a 30-minute drive from their home in Palm Beach Gardens. In addition, they enjoy a good relationship with U.S. captain Zina Garrison.

"I love playing Fed Cup," Serena said. "I love playing for the United States. Since 2003, I've had various amounts of injuries. I've been on the tour kind of on and off.

"More than anything, I love playing for Zina. It's another great opportunity for me to play for Zina."

Lisa Raymond and Vania King are expected to play doubles for the Americans against 17-year-old Yanina Wickmayer and 14-year-old Tamaryn Hendler. Kirsten Flipkens, ranked No. 132, and Caroline Maes, ranked No. 227, are expected to play singles for Belgium.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/18/sports/NA-SPT-TEN-US-Belgium.php

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
The disputed world #1 :worship:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
just with them is enough..

play doubles! play! please!

·
Premium Member
40,059 Posts
yep, and in a few short months, the debate will be over :worship:

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
just with them is enough..

play doubles! play! please!
You don't invite the #1 doubles player in the world to play and then leave her on the bench. Lisa Raymond and Vania King are our doubles team this weekend.

·
Premium Member
40,059 Posts
6 Grand Slam Doubles titles v. a silly #1 ranking? :shrug: dunno :p

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
You don't invite the #1 doubles player in the world to play and then leave her on the bench. Lisa Raymond and Vania King are our doubles team this weekend.
I wonder if Lisa is still pissed about the 2000 Olympics?

Just to fill you in ... Lisa was #1 in the world at the time, but playing with Australian Renee Stubbs. BJK, the coach at the time, took UNRANKED Venus and Serena for the doubles team, and Lisa was upset. But, when they played the sisters were the #1. In 99 they had won the French and US Opens and in 2000 they had won Wimbledon.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
yay serena! can't wait to see your results :) GO USA!!!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I wonder if Lisa is still pissed about the 2000 Olympics?

Just to fill you in ... Lisa was #1 in the world at the time, but playing with Australian Renee Stubbs. BJK, the coach at the time, took UNRANKED Venus and Serena for the doubles team, and Lisa was upset. But, when they played the sisters were the #1. In 99 they had won the French and US Opens and in 2000 they had won Wimbledon.
i think BJk was justified in that Vee and Serena went on to win the gold:)

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts

·
Registered
14,340 Posts
Well that, and I don't think there's any doubt the US will steamroll Belgium -- why not give them time on the court?

·
Premium Member
40,059 Posts
I just want to see Vee and Ree on the same side of the net for once :lol:

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
i think BJk was justified in that Vee and Serena went on to win the gold:)
That's beside the point. Lisa was #1 at the time, so she should have been there. Besides, she and Lindsay Davenport had played doubles together before then (and even won Indian Wells twice), so it wasn't like she would have been playing with a stranger.

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
Well that, and I don't think there's any doubt the US will steamroll Belgium -- why not give them time on the court?
Exactly. It's going to be a dead rubber, so let the kid get some international experience. Besides, the doubles rubber may be live against Russia in the semis, so having Raymond and King play together now will help us then.

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's beside the point. Lisa was #1 at the time, so she should have been there. Besides, she and Lindsay Davenport had played doubles together before then (and even won Indian Wells twice), so it wasn't like she would have been playing with a stranger.
Then blame Venus! :p

She wasn't going
anywhere w/o Rena! :D

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
so I guess that we should be expecting
lots of doubles play from now till WM 2008...
for them to play doubles in Beijing

1 - 20 of 57 Posts